Advice anyone that has had a re-sleeve Please

Jinasinn1984

I had the revision of the sleeve on February 26th, I had a lot of complications this time. I had the revision because they found a bubble. Once they were inside the Doctor said it looked as if someone braided my stomach. So My stomach swelled shut. The X-ray showed it took upwards of 10 minutes for one sip of water to drain into the stomach. The spams are horrible. I just got to come home last week. I am still not able to eat the soft proteins at all. I am having a hard time getting the protein shakes in also. I was on 30 cc of water every 30 mins up until 2 days ago and I am now getting more water in. But I am filling up on one or two sips of protein shakes even thinning it out. I am having pains in my stomach/lower throat when i swallow. I have gotten sick several times since coming home, I did in the hospital as well. So many things I dont want to list them all. (yes this is me whining) In a way I guess I want someone who had the same or similar to tell me it will pass. That I will not have to have the feeding tube. Nothing that has happened since surgery was ever mentioned as a side affect of the revision. In all my research not one time did I read about or talk to anyone who has had these or as many issues.

Of course I can't predict the future, but it sounds like your stomach was in bad shape to start with and then needed more work than expected to fix it. If this is the case, there may still be swelling and edema in the new sleeve that may take awhile to calm down, and until it does your progress will be very slow.
But bottom line, your surgeon knows what he saw, what he did, and what kind of progress to expect based on his observations, so if you are continuing to have problems, give him a call.

I had an unexpected small bowel obstruction surgery in October. I was on here freaking out over my "slow" recovery, complications, fears, etc. I was a mental and physical mess. Everyone kept telling me (including my surgeon) that it was just normal healing. I couldn't wear underwear for 6 weeks! I was so worried about my future and going back to work with the pain and issues I was having. It's a scary and lonely place.
Well, as it turns out, the digestive system is very slow to heal. I laugh now when I think about myself wondering why I wasn't back to normal after 3 weeks but it wasn't funny then. I think it took 7 weeks before I stopped being a nut case and about 12 weeks to feel that I was almost back to normal. I think it's important to find something to keep you busy. When I was home I was so focused on my body that everything concerned me. I also had a lot of fear and anxiety waiting for the "world to end". Going back to work at 6 weeks post-op was the best thing for that anxiety. I hope my experience helps yours!
Cathy

I had a partial resleeve when I had my conversion from VSG to DS.
I didn't have any issues at all. I'm sorry you're having a hard time....I have nothing to offer except to take it nice and slow and you have the best Dr. out there so listen to what he says.

I wholeheartedly agree with @buffalobillsfan about keeping yourself busy! I didn't have any complications aside from 2 incisions that opened a little and took a longer time to heal (insignificant in hindsight) and I was OBSESSED over it. Sounds like your insides have been through hell and you may take longer to heal, or you may need to contact your doctor, and you need rest, but you also need to keep your mind busy when you're awake.

I am still not able to eat the soft proteins at all. I am having a hard time getting the protein shakes in also.

don't try to eat soft food - stick to liquid.

sorry to hear you have having a tough time - did you call the surgeon and let him know? I had a virgin sleeve and was on clear liquids for a couple weeks - even when I was allow to advance to Full Liquids I couldn't tolerate very much at all. couple sips.

takes time! and it's OK, as long as you are getting in enough water (or any fluid)

I had this weird thing that they finally decided was something about my surgical scar making some nerves in my throat fire and thus caused a swallowing problem. I was on only liquids for months, although occasionally I couldn't take it any longer and would eat a steak cut into pea sized bits and chew, chew, chew and chew.

Suddenly, at about 2.5 months, things got a lot better. A lot. Now at six months, I had mostly forgotten about it until I had a bad night last week. It was another steak but I didn't cut it up enough or chew it enough. Matter-o-fact, I was chowing down like I hadn't seen food in a month. Oops! I had to walk away and go back to liquids for a day to reset. Lesson learned (I hope!)

The DS, it is a hell of a surgery and a revision seems even more so. Only losing a sword fight might have left your innards in worse shape. Focus on the fact that you are paying it forward and give your body time.

Latest posts

Back