A few photos

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
So I was going through my pictures on my computer and FB (Great picture repository) to find a shot of my infected incision to show @CaraOC and it took me down memory lane a little bit so I thought I would post a few.

This one is of my three favorite guys in the world who mean everything to me: Cameron, Collin and my Dad (honestly the best man I have ever met...I am so lucky to have him as a Father). This was taken last year at one of Collin's football games (Elmhurst College in Chicagoland). Collin was 1st team all conference Defensive Back in HighSchool and at one point his team had won 27 straight season games. They went to the state playoffs every year and would have won his Junior year but they got bumped up a class and had to play much larger schools...
10613084_10203056329112241_3036132859088465278_n.jpg

This one is from Collin's sophomore year at the IHSA State Finals where he ran the first leg of the 4 x 800 and we led the entire race until our anchor was passed by the top runner in the state on the anchor leg so we came in 2nd even though we barely qualified for the finals. Huge surprise to us as we took off over 30 seconds from our sectional qualifying time (how you qualify for the state preliminaries then 12 teams make the finals....we were 12th because we got boxed in during the prelims and had a bad race). Anyway this is Collin and his coach who is a great guy and Illinois Hall of Fame and National Cross Country Coach of the year one time....he has coached I believe 7 teams to IHSA Cross Country Championships. He coaches track as well.

Actually this is from Collin's senior year. He was All state and medalled 4 times. He made the IHSA state finals in at least one event all four years of high school. He is a great all around athlete and was dunking a basketball with his left hand (he is right handed) his freshman year. He is only 6'3

10350442_10202446939277876_3459986318534122582_n.jpg

This is my wife Dianna, Collin and I

10365801_10202446938677861_5867294366648903695_n.jpg

and finally this a picture of Cameron, Collin and Bruce Weber (Was Head Basketball coach of my Alma Mater the University of Illinois) in the locker room in 2011 before the Wisconsin basketball game. Cameron had just been diagnosed with Lypnpocyte Predominant Hodgkin Lymphoma and before he started his battle and chemo I sent an email to coach Weber to ask if we could possibly let Cameron meet him and the players after the game because we were coming down for the game and since it was last minute we had nose bleed seats. Well, I got a phone call the night before the game and it was Assistant Coach Jay Price telling me to show up to the game 90 minutes early and we would meet with Coach and the team, and the put us on the floor next to the team for the game. Cameron and Collin met all the players (and couple texted Cameron throughout his battle) and go to listen to Coach give the pre game speech in the locker room. They also gave him a hat signed by the entire Illini team. Coach talked to Cameron after the speech for a good ten minutes giving him all kinds of encouragement. I finally had to say to Coach, "Coach I really appreciate your time and what you have done for Cameron, but I think the game is about to start so you should probably get out there with the team". That is the kind of man Bruce Weber is and I will respect that man until I die.
11016813_10204230122456341_5025402021129688225_n.jpg

Okay a couple more of Cameron going through his battle

This is poor quality as I took it on an old phone with not a great Cameron. He is read because he was on vancomyacin at this point because they thought he had a blood infection because his port wouldn't flush. Well it turned out being a blood clot in the central line at that end dumping into the heart and he ended up with a Pulmonary Embolism as a result and was in critical condition in ICU for a week getting the Clot busted up with TPA .....he nearly died the first night and would have had we been at home.
11037561_10204230121496317_390165405874377502_n.jpg

This is Cameron at his Junior Prom (he missed his entire spring semester of his junior year as he was in the St Jude Midwest Affilate's portion of the Children's Hospital of Illinois for most of 6 months that year). He was voted Junior Class Attendant . His hair was starting to grow back in this picture.
10994469_10204230115816175_972883808842757798_n.jpg

Okay, sorry...since I am at it.... @Spiky Bugger this is what $230K buys you in a very nice small town (2,500 people) with a great school district that is 20 minutes West of Peoria.
11990596_10205633499979902_6636180484142674087_n.jpg

It doesn't look very big but this house is actually 3,000 sq ft with another 1,500 in the basement
12141604_10205633501179932_3521046659792573192_n.jpg

Finally, Honey and Maverick our incredibly loving and playful dogs.
12742561_10206290953175821_7563993542707237685_n.jpg

11899835_10205357057789020_5699003029278659626_n.jpg
11178363_10205357057829021_7924892104287597778_n.jpg

Scott what a beautiful family, and I am including the 4 legs in that! Thank you for sharing with us. I am so glad Cameron is better - and how cool that the coach spent so much time with you guys.

You are truly blessed but then I know you know. :)

Mom, that is a very sweet thing to say.

certainly do realize I am blessed with a great wife and kids. We all have our strong points and those that might need a little work, but I have a great family who I love dearly....including our pups. We lost our buddy Perry almost five years to the date and I still miss him horribly. I will never forgive myself because it was my fault he got ran over. My wife was on lunch and we were going to get something. We about 1.5 acres at that time and we had an invisible fence for perry and it was rarely needed...in fact the battery in the collar often went dead for a while before we figured it out. Well apparently the batter went dead and he figured out he could leave the yard (believe me they don't like the one jolt they get if they test it) and he went to play with the neighbors dog across the street who would come over to our yard inside the magic barrier. When he got lose before he always came back. Well I walked to get him and he kept walking in to town (we were right on the edge) and kept going so I figured I don't want to push him in town where there is more traffic and I knew he would come back, so we went to lunch. I got a phone call from Cameron who was in the middle of chemo treatments but home for a day or two (he was inpatient for most of the first six months of 2011), and he said, and I will never forget these words, "Dad, why did you let Perry out" and I explained and he went on to say, "a guy just called and left a message saying he hit perry with his truck". Well after my heart shrunk for putting Cameron through that and then thinking of Perry, we rushed home. When I got there I found him in the ditch and he was still breathing but bleeding heavily. So I grabbed a moving blanked so I could pick him up and put him in my Explorer and rushed him up to our vet. I was pretty sure he had taken his last breath as I was holding him but I was hoping.....she confirmed it. I felt horribly because the boys didn't get to say goodbye. I didn't want them to remember him that way. We had him cremated and have him with us, but they never got full closure.

to continue with my worst Dad of the year act that day. Collin had a track meet about 40 miles away that I went to, and I didn't want to chance one of his friends who might have saw us carry him into the vet calling him, or Cameron texting him so I pulled him aside and went to a less populated area at the meet and told him when I got there. He was 15 at the time and he actually put his head on my shoulder and cried for about five minutes. It makes my tear up just writing this.....yeah, I suck as a Dad sometimes.....but yes I love all my kids including Honey and Maverick.

oh Scott, I cannot imagine going thru this. I know how I would be with mine. You are in no way shape or form a bad dad - what I wonder - is if the guy knew he hit him - why didnt he get him to a vet? but we could do what ifs all day and would not change the outcome.
Forgive yourself and hug them all!

Scott, Most of the time we don't even think of a shoulder as having such profound influence on someone. To Collin his dads shoulder and 5 minutes meant everything to him. Your roots grow deep. Your family is just beautiful. Sorry to hear of Cameron's pain in life. So grateful he was given a blessed family to help him balance it out. What does not make us weak, will make us stronger. Love the dogs.

oh Scott, I cannot imagine going thru this. I know how I would be with mine. You are in no way shape or form a bad dad - what I wonder - is if the guy knew he hit him - why didnt he get him to a vet? but we could do what ifs all day and would not change the outcome.
Forgive yourself and hug them all!
Thanks Mom

Scott, Most of the time we don't even think of a shoulder as having such profound influence on someone. To Collin his dads shoulder and 5 minutes meant everything to him. Your roots grow deep. Your family is just beautiful. Sorry to hear of Cameron's pain in life. So grateful he was given a blessed family to help him balance it out. What does not make us weak, will make us stronger. Love the dogs.
Thanks Sweetheart. My family is my life and the only thing really matters to me in this world..family and friends.

You're a devoted dad and you have a loving family. Doesn't get any better than that. Oh wait... those cute doggies, that makes it better.

Latest posts

Back