A few lab result questions...

Marquis Mark

A few lab result questions I’m hoping someone can shed light on:

1. My Triglycerides went from 220 prior to surgery to 126 three months after surgery to 167 now (range <149). Is that normal for a DSer? For reference my total cholesterol is 129. Does that mean I’m absorbing a lot of fat for a DSer, or is 129 pretty normal?

2. Glucose, random has dropped from 120 prior to surgery to 79 now (range 70-140) and Hemoglobin A1C has dropped from 5.90 prior to 4.70 now (range 4.80-6.90). What might that mean?

3. Despite continually lowering my doses, my B-12 continues to climb. It is now 2,000+ (off the charts, literally). I’m wondering if the B-12 in my Kirkland multivites might be all I need. As it is I’ve only been taking 1,000/day sublingual supplemental. Should I discontinue? I know there is no upper limit on B-12 but why take something I don’t need?

I’ve attached my complete spreadsheet if you need any references.

Would appreciate any insight!

Thanks, M

Attachments

• 0 DS Labs Spreadsheet.xlsx
    81.8 KB · Views: 5
I take no B vitamins so I would stop supplementing b12 based on your numbers.

Your glucose and A1C is a result of the ds and those numbers are fine.

Not sure why your tryglicerides are a little high but your total cholesterol is good.

Another one raising my hand about the B vitamins. I don't supplement any of them other than what is in my multi. But I have always had off the charts high B12...for over 30 years. Doctors keep telling me to stop taking it but even when I wasn't taking a multi, it remained high. How can you stop taking something you don't take extra at all to begin with?

Your triglycerides are a bit higher but nothing to get worried over,, esp since your total is in excellent range.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/family-health-guide/should-you-worry-about-high-triglycerides
But triglycerides are a bit more problematic. Although there's no question that extremely high levels (1,000 mg/dL or more) spell trouble and can lead to acute pancreatitis, it's been less certain how hard doctors and patients should work to reduce triglycerides when they are at lower levels, but still above normal.

Just keep an eye on them. Don't fret over them.

I WISH I HAD your A1C. It is excellent. Don't fret about it unless it gets down to around 4.0. As Scott has found out, truly low A1C is usually a result of anemia.

Another one raising my hand about the B vitamins. I don't supplement any of them other than what is in my multi. But I have always had off the charts high B12...for over 30 years. Doctors keep telling me to stop taking it but even when I wasn't taking a multi, it remained high. How can you stop taking something you don't take extra at all to begin with?

Your triglycerides are a bit higher but nothing to get worried over,, esp since your total is in excellent range.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/family-health-guide/should-you-worry-about-high-triglycerides

Just keep an eye on them. Don't fret over them.

I WISH I HAD your A1C. It is excellent. Don't fret about it unless it gets down to around 4.0. As Scott has found out, truly low A1C is usually a result of anemia.

Definitely not worried about any of my cholesterol numbers. Just wondering though as I read that DSers who have higher total cholesterol numbers tend to absorb more fat (and perhaps lose less weight) than those who have lower numbers. Any validity to that?

It's been interesting to observe most of my vitamin levels rise over the months (without changing doses). I presume that's because my body is adjusting and beginning to absorb more?

My B12 is also off the charts. When I supplemented it was even higher; but even now it's still very high.

My triglycerides were a bit high this last blood draw. It's happened before. Then it doesn't. Not sure why. Just watch them the next draw to see where you are.

Latest posts

Back