30 days post op food questions

@Munchkin. Thanks! OK, so I understand that the WLS might not help me lose all the weight I want. But how does exercise fit in. Where I get confused on all of this is as far as I can tell, for carbs, your body absorbs them as just calories like it did before. So, while I might eat a piece of steak, that is 400 calories, my body might only absorb 150 calories. Right? So, with a piece of fruit - a pear for example - has 100 calories, my body will absorb 100 calories. Right? And given that my body will burn approximately 10 calories a day per pound of body weight (give or take), the math is still how many calories I absorb vs how many I burn? Does that change with the DS? And doesn't exercise play a part? So, lets say, my body wants to be at 150 pounds which is 1500 calories a day, but I burn 1400 calories a week which is 200 extra calories a day, so my body should then, be happy at 130?

I know everyone on the board has said throw the old diet math out the window, but doesn't it just change from calories absorbed vs. calories burned. Just a twist on calories in and calories out?

And the other thing that confuses me is the weight lost window. I know i burn more calories the larger I am so, as I'm losing weight, the bigger I am the faster I lose, but near the end, do I loose much more slowly? Why does this window occur?

Thanks so much all.

You're over thinking this. Get your 120 gr of protein (about 72 gr absorbed) and 100 gr of fat (about 30-40 gr absorbed) so your brain can function (and you can poop). Try to keep carbs below 50 while you are in weight loss phase. Once you are at goal, see if you can increase carbs and maintain. If not, back off.

I never believed in calories in vs calories out even before DS and there are studies to back that up. I used to drop 100# on Atkins eating enormous steaks and blocks of cheese -- can't even imagine how many calories that was each day. But then I reverted to carb-o-holism.

As for exercise, long ago a doctor told me the best exercise for weight loss is the one where you use your arms to push away from the table. Joking aside, studies show that exercise really only results in noticeable weight loss in men, maybe. (Once upon a time I ran 5-7 miles each and every day AND did at least one if not two exercise classes a day. I consumed ONLY 800 calories in Slim Fast shakes a day. I was very thin. When I started eating normally, I began to gain. When I ate like a truck driver, my weight soared, all while continuing to exercise like a maniac.) Exercise for heart health and mental well being and stamina, not for weight loss.

Weight loss slows near goal because your metabolism adjusts and slows as suggested by the latest research, even though we've always been told that it is because a smaller body needs less calories. (But I really don't know the answer.)

@Munchkin. Thanks! OK, so I understand that the WLS might not help me lose all the weight I want. But how does exercise fit in. Where I get confused on all of this is as far as I can tell, for carbs, your body absorbs them as just calories like it did before. So, while I might eat a piece of steak, that is 400 calories, my body might only absorb 150 calories. Right? So, with a piece of fruit - a pear for example - has 100 calories, my body will absorb 100 calories. Right? And given that my body will burn approximately 10 calories a day per pound of body weight (give or take), the math is still how many calories I absorb vs how many I burn? Does that change with the DS? And doesn't exercise play a part? So, lets say, my body wants to be at 150 pounds which is 1500 calories a day, but I burn 1400 calories a week which is 200 extra calories a day, so my body should then, be happy at 130?

I know everyone on the board has said throw the old diet math out the window, but doesn't it just change from calories absorbed vs. calories burned. Just a twist on calories in and calories out?

And the other thing that confuses me is the weight lost window. I know i burn more calories the larger I am so, as I'm losing weight, the bigger I am the faster I lose, but near the end, do I loose much more slowly? Why does this window occur?

Thanks so much all.

When you lose weight, you lose muscle, water, and fat. Exercise helps you keep the muscle you want to save! And a pound of muscle burns more per day to maintain than a pound of fat. Win/win! Plus you don't look weak and frail!

The numbers will never, ever, ever, add up. Never. And this is a scientist talking. If it was a simple matter of calories in VS calories burned, there would be no fat people. There are too many other factors here, the biggest ones are metabolism and absorbtion. Anyone whose life has been a series of diets has probably ruined their metabolism. The body wants nothing but to store fat because it knows the next starvation cycle is just around the corner. Absorbtion is another. Normal people poop out calories every day. Superabsorbers, who tend to be fat, poop out a lot fewer calories. They use more than the average person. Then there is the girl factor. Your body wants to be sure you have enough fat to get PG and have a baby at all times. Fat=healthy baby. You have a biological imperative. The numbers don't mean much.

For example, I will give you my Baskin Robbins Diet. When I was in my 20's and as usual trying to lose weight, I decided to experiment with a 1000 calorie diet that wasn't miserable. After all if the numbers work, 1000 calories is 1000 calories. For 30 days, I ate 1 pint of Baskin Robbins ice cream per day. The flavor I picked was 1000 calories and it was sold by weight by Baskin Robbins employees. And that was all I ate other than unsweetened iced tea and water. I didn't change my activity level other than trying to make sure I didn't let the diet make me less active. The month ended and I had gained 2 pounds. And the numbers say that is not possible. Ha!

Next I will give you an old co-worker, Cathy. She was Asian and very petite. Maybe a size 2 on a bad day. Usually a 0 or 00. Tiny. For her, eating was an Olympic event. And hell yes, I was envious. But I knew all about the calories and every day I waited because I KNEW one day she would come to work looking like the Goodyear Blimp. After all the math said it had to happen. And numbers can't lie. A typical breakfast at her desk was 2 egg mcmuffins and a coke, midmorning snack was another coke, yogurt, and a candy bar. Lunch was another coke and a cheeseburger with fries. Sometimes she had a shake too. Ice cream...not protein. Lunch hour for Cathy was eating for a full hour. Next was the afternoon snack, usually a coke and a candy bar. And she SAID she had dinner and more snacks every day but I am just telling you what I SAW her eat day in and day out. In the average 8 hour work day, she consistently ate over 3000 calories. Then she got pregnant. OK, pregnancy destroys almost every woman's body. Not hers. When she came back to work, she looked just the same and was wearing the same clothes. I worked with her for about 10 years and the pattern never changed. And the numbers say that is not possible. Ha again!

Why do people seldom actually get to goal on a regular old diet? A plausible reason is that every pound you lose is a higher percentage of your total weight. 5lbs is nothing to a 300lb person but it's a lot for someone who weighs 110lbs. The 300lb person doesn't have to work hard lose 5 lbs but it may well be impossible for the 110lb person to lose 5lbs. No matter where you start, the pounds become harder and harder to lose. At least in part because your body is going fight like hell to make sure you don't starve to death. And to make goal on a regular diet you have to literally starve and work out like a maniac to lose the last of the fat! And the number say that's not possible. Baloney to the numbers!

You should read the Biggest Loser Study. It's here. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/t...t-to-get-back-to-a-set-point.4321/#post-64729

What's the REAL answer? Obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. Promise!

Not the first time I have been to this rodeo.... I wrote this a while ago.

If I broke my leg, should I be ashamed I had to go get a cast? If I had a heart attack, should I hide the fact they had to put in a stent to save my life? If I have high blood pressure, should I refuse to take the pill because I need to be able to fix it on my own?

One more time. Obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. If this was not true, diets would work. Calories in VS calories expended don't you know!

That Biggest Loser study proves the point quite nicely. Those poor people needed up to 800 calories less per day to maintain their weight than a 'normal' person. They were doomed to fail. The only way they could be successful would be to live on a starvation diet and spend hours in the gym every day for the rest of their lives. This is not normal. This is a disease. A disease that should be treated to the extent that treatment is available. And trying to spend 5 hours a day in the gym and live on a 400 calorie diet is not a sustainable option. The physiological, psychological, financial, and social consequences of trying to live like this are staggering.

Is there anyone here who hasn't lost 100 pounds? 1, 3, 5, or 10+ times? It takes godlike will power to lose 100 pounds. We are superhuman. We can and do live for years on a can of tuna and a lettuce leaf. None of those methane blowing anus heads smugly handing out diet advice have accomplished these feats of superhuman strength and yogi like deprivation. Why do we hang on their every word and spend billions on whatever snake oil they pimp?

One of the reasons I have no children is obesity. I didn't need a PhD in Genetics to figure out it was likely my progeny would be fat. And I didn't want to inflict that pain on anyone.

So here I am dragging my broken leg behind me. I am ashamed I couldn't fix it on my own. I failed and you didn't. Somehow this makes YOU feel better and validates your superiority. And I'm sure YOU have some weight loss advice that will change my life. You won't hesitate to share THAT with me.

The real answer to obesity is going to be a pill. A pill that hasn't been discovered yet. Fingers crossed it happens soon! Who will they marginalize next? Me personally, I propose the next group we need to hate is all the people who need to have someone to look down on to feel good about themselves. It would be hard but we could do it. We have superpowers they can't even imagine. We are strong.

@Clematis - Thanks!

@Munchkin - Thank you so much for the long and helpful post.

I did read the biggest loser study when it came out and i understand the issue. However, I've had a very different experience than you. Last time I lost a lot of weight, i was on a 600 calorie a day diet. Also, I excised about 450 calories a day 6 days a week. I set up a predictive spreadsheet that used the assumptions of (1) my current weight; (2) I burn 10 calories a day per pound of body weight; (3) my weekly exercise calorie burn. Over a nine month diet (36 weeks), my predictive model was off by a week - I beat it and to me it meant, I most likely burned a little more than 10 calories a day. I lost 115 pounds. Then, next time, I lost 42 pounds (on weight watchers), I did the same spreadsheet and I was off by a week again. My system is very calories in and calories out. I've never thought my metabolism is the problem. I liked to eat a lot of food, I had no off switch and I craved fatty foods.

I could not maintain a low weight because 450 calories a day of exercise is hard to do and there was no way in hell I could eat 1400 to 1500 calories a day. In fact, 2000 calories a day was pretty impossible to eat.

What I'm trying to do here is create another spreadsheet for this weight loss. I find the spreadsheet very helpful since I'm so goal focused. The problem is the assumption of calories in has changed because of the malabsorption.

I really appreciate your help and insight. Thank you so much for taking the time and teaching me.

Cheers,

Beth

@Clematis - Thanks!

@Munchkin - Thank you so much for the long and helpful post.

I did read the biggest loser study when it came out and i understand the issue. However, I've had a very different experience than you. Last time I lost a lot of weight, i was on a 600 calorie a day diet. Also, I excised about 450 calories a day 6 days a week. I set up a predictive spreadsheet that used the assumptions of (1) my current weight; (2) I burn 10 calories a day per pound of body weight; (3) my weekly exercise calorie burn. Over a nine month diet (36 weeks), my predictive model was off by a week - I beat it and to me it meant, I most likely burned a little more than 10 calories a day. I lost 115 pounds. Then, next time, I lost 42 pounds (on weight watchers), I did the same spreadsheet and I was off by a week again. My system is very calories in and calories out. I've never thought my metabolism is the problem. I liked to eat a lot of food, I had no off switch and I craved fatty foods.

I could not maintain a low weight because 450 calories a day of exercise is hard to do and there was no way in hell I could eat 1400 to 1500 calories a day. In fact, 2000 calories a day was pretty impossible to eat.

What I'm trying to do here is create another spreadsheet for this weight loss. I find the spreadsheet very helpful since I'm so goal focused. The problem is the assumption of calories in has changed because of the malabsorption.

I really appreciate your help and insight. Thank you so much for taking the time and teaching me.

Cheers,

Beth
Don't worry. You are going to do great with the DS. Lots of people have done spreadsheets but they usually tracked carbs, liquids, and loss. I get wanting to be able to predict your outcome and have a way to judge your progress but calories is not the go to metric anymore.

Yes, I know how hard it is to do 450 cal worth of exercise! It's a pretty miserable existence, 600 cal a day and 5 hours at the gym.

I think it is amazing you came that close with your SS! Twice!

Don't worry. You are going to do great with the DS. Lots of people have done spreadsheets but they usually tracked carbs, liquids, and loss. I get wanting to be able to predict your outcome and have a way to judge your progress but calories is not the go to metric anymore.

Yes, I know how hard it is to do 450 cal worth of exercise! It's a pretty miserable existence, 600 cal a day and 5 hours at the gym.

I think it is amazing you came that close with your SS! Twice!

Thanks for all the support. The spreadsheets were amazing. I was like my body is a computer. I'm after a predictive model. Counting Carbs, liquids and loss is just record keeping.

The low calorie diet and all the exercise nearly killed me. 450 calories a day of exercise was an hour of damn hard cardio - elliptical, spinning class, etc. But you know what. Maintaining that weight lost was freakin' impossible. I had to starve and work out all the time - and use prescription diet drugs. I'm 5'3' so I got 137 and then bounced between 145 and 150. And I got about a two years out it. Then, i gave up and was back at 200 pounds before I knew it. I wish I knew about the switch. All I heard about was the RNY for years, and I was like NFW. When I heard about the switch, I was like, Yes! I can live with that.

I'm liking the DS so far, I'm so happy my diabetes is gone!!!! My cholesterol is still high, but moving in the right direction. I just wish I woke up from surgery thin :) But diabetes being gone was pretty awesome!

Last edited:
OK, so I understand that the WLS might not help me lose all the weight I want. But how does exercise fit in.
It doesn't HAVE to fit in. I am more active than pre-DS but I was never and never will be into exercise just to exercise. My activity level DID go up but it was on doing things like home renovations, yard work, etc. NOT EXERCISE.

But even those who can NOT exercise can lose weight and keep it off with the DS. It FIXES your busted metabolism, not 100% but maybe 80-90%.

Yes, if you eat enough carbs you can regain even with the DS. But as @Munchkin says, maximize your chances now. I got to a low of 121 for 10 second. But now stay around 145ish. Funny thing, my eating DID NOT change from my first year to my fifth year. I eat the same basic way now as I did when I was LOSING. What happened? 1) I got older 2) My body got use to how I was feeding it.

And believe it or not, you CAN underfeed your DS. Go reread this post again: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/d...m-weight-loss-thoughts.4470/page-2#post-67653

Thanks! It was this great youtube series i watched where the woman said, 1200 calories a day. I'm sure I'm at 60 grams of protein a day since I'm still doing shakes for part of my meals.

Phew on the eating and drinking, I was beginning to think I was a bit odd.
Please stay away from DS advice from pretty much anywhere but hear or Dr K's duodenal switch FB private group. There is so much BS out there.

From what I understand, your fat consumption can be limited by your output. If it gives you diarrhea, you are eating too much. You are only going to absorb approximately 20% of the fat you consume. The rest will be expelled, get it? This is where the oil slicks in the toilet come from. In my experience, I have only had an orange oil slick in the toilet once. It was preceded by Nalley's Chili. I love the stuff but, it kills me.
@newanatomy I think that is perfect advice. To me bowels tell us everything we need to know about fat consumption. Somebody on Dr K's group this morning (obviously not one of his patients) told me that I should try fat bombs to help me GAIN WEIGHT? As I told the lady if I did fat bombs I would weigh 10-15 pounds less because I would never be off the toilet.

This is just my opinion on how we should eat. Please eat all foods, including carbs and proteins. You just have to do it in moderation. I am a firm believer that if you don't eat any carbs you will eventually fail and have a huge train wreck. It just isn't possible for 99% of the population to eat 10 grams of carbs or less a day for very long....that is why the atkins diets don't work long term. Moderation is key and your body will tell you if you are eating too many or the wrong kind of carbs as you will get horrible gas pain and or diarrhea. Too much fat will also give bad diarrhea.

BTW there are studies out there showing that it doesn't matter if your calories come from protein or carbs. It is energy in (nutrients absorbed) - energy out (what body burns) that equals weight loss. Low carb high fat diets have been shown to be no more effective than diets where there were more carbs, as long as calories absorbed were kept the same....note the absorbed part. It isn't calories eaten but calories that we absorb and no two DS's are created equally. That means we all absorb differently. Yes in general you will absorb more carbs than fat or protein.

Please note that I am not advocating eating a ton of carbs, or a ton of fat for that matter. I do think keeping around 50-75 carbs a day if possible during the first year or so of the DS is a good idea.

@newanatomy I think that is perfect advice. To me bowels tell us everything we need to know about fat consumption. Somebody on Dr K's group this morning (obviously not one of his patients) told me that I should try fat bombs to help me GAIN WEIGHT? As I told the lady if I did fat bombs I would weigh 10-15 pounds less because I would never be off the toilet.
And MINE this morning told me to add more fat to my butter coffee...starting to get backed up again and I HATE trying to shit a bowling ball.

That means we all absorb differently. Yes in general you will absorb more carbs than fat or protein.
Very true...I kept MY carbs between 75-120 TOTAL carbs during active weight loss which was my first year for me. Second year I upped that to 120-150. Most of my carbs tho come from low carb veggies and DAIRY! I EASILY get 30 grams of dairy carbs before second breakfast. For a good list of low carb veggies: http://www.diabetes-book.com/whats-left-to-eat/ AND I use those low carb veggies so that I add fat in the way of sauteing in butter, grilling in Italian Dressing or brushing with Olive Oil OR my all time favorite is a fake "hollandaise" sauce that my Mother saw as a recipe DECADES ago (my 58 year old sister was 6 at the time and despised green food) using just a stick of butter and a cup of mayo. Used as a topping on broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts is to DIE for. :)

And MINE this morning told me to add more fat to my butter coffee...starting to get backed up again and I HATE trying to shit a bowling ball.
Yep, I hear you. I am struggling a bit now with getting the needed calcium and it making it too hard to poop. I ran out of Jarrow Bone Up and am having to use Calcium Citrate only. It firms it up way too much for me, so I am eating more fat until I get the Jarrow hear on Tuesday (didn't order until Friday).

Very true...I kept MY carbs between 75-120 TOTAL carbs during active weight loss which was my first year for me. Second year I upped that to 120-150. Most of my carbs tho come from low carb veggies and DAIRY! I EASILY get 30 grams of dairy carbs before second breakfast. For a good list of low carb veggies: http://www.diabetes-book.com/whats-left-to-eat/ AND I use those low carb veggies so that I add fat in the way of sauteing in butter, grilling in Italian Dressing or brushing with Olive Oil OR my all time favorite is a fake "hollandaise" sauce that my Mother saw as a recipe DECADES ago (my 58 year old sister was 6 at the time and despised green food) using just a stick of butter and a cup of mayo. Used as a topping on broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts is to DIE for. :)
I love roasted, grilled or sauteed veggies with Olive oil or butter and S & P. Last night I had oven roasted brussel sprout with my meal at Red Lobster and man they were good. I also ate about 1/3 of a ceasar salad with lots of fresh grated Parmesan. Asparagus, squash with zucchini and onions, broccoli, brussel sprouts and cabbage are veggies I like this way.

and I will admit. I eat more corn than I probably should.

Latest posts

Back