30 days post op food questions

galaxygrrl

Hi all!

I got great guidance from the Drs in Mexico on the first 30 days post op, but as I enter day 31, And I can stomach meat now. I'm hearing and reading different messages.

So, I get the no carbs and that is consistent. But here is where I got lost. I've read and watched, keep calories under 1200 a day and eat low fat proteins. But, what I crave is fats of all kinds. Salad dressing, Mayo, fatty meats, sauces, olives, and any other type of savory fats.

Like today, I had 1/2 a hamburger and but I must of had 3 or 4 table spoons of ranch dressing and creamy hot sauce on it. Should I not be doing the sauce thing during the weight loss phase? That is 300 or 400 calories right there. I want to maximize my weight lost stage, should I be avoiding extra fats.

Also, there seems to be consistency that do NOT eat and drink at the same time, but if I eat slowly, I don't seem to have this problem. For example, yesterday, I had 12 oz of ice tea while I had two pouched eggs and two slices of smoked salmon over about 45 min.

Thanks for your help.

I am not sure where you got the "keep calories under 1200 a day and eat low fat proteins", I am fairly sure it was not on this site. For a DS patient, that is completely bogus! Both fat and protein are what you need to be eating most from now on. Calories are less significant than the micrograms you consume. You should be working up to 60 grams of protein per day by day 60, more if you can manage it and 90 grams of protein by day 90. Fat is pretty much a freebie.

You can eat and drink at the same time. Just don't fill up on water when you need to eat. I have never had trouble eating and drinking at the same time. You should be getting 64 oz of water per day.

I am not sure where you got the "keep calories under 1200 a day and eat low fat proteins", I am fairly sure it was not on this site. For a DS patient, that is completely bogus! Both fat and protein are what you need to be eating most from now on. Calories are less significant than the micrograms you consume. You should be working up to 60 grams of protein per day by day 60, more if you can manage it and 90 grams of protein by day 90. Fat is pretty much a freebie.

You can eat and drink at the same time. Just don't fill up on water when you need to eat. I have never had trouble eating and drinking at the same time. You should be getting 64 oz of water per day.

Thanks! It was this great youtube series i watched where the woman said, 1200 calories a day. I'm sure I'm at 60 grams of protein a day since I'm still doing shakes for part of my meals.

Phew on the eating and drinking, I was beginning to think I was a bit odd.

Read some more of the posts on here for eating tips. If you are going to watch you-tubers, make sure they are smart enough to get their diet advice from here. :D

Thanks! There is a ton here on eating tips and I've learned so much, but there is not a lot here on the first 90 days and that is where I got confused. I'm pretty excited about the surgery though and my recovery. I'm finally starting to feel back to normal and getting my energy back. Plus, 28 days and 25 pounds gone. My diabetes is gone - yes!!!

So, how much fat can I eat. Because if I had my way, I would live on Bacon, sausage, olives and salad dressing.

Last edited:
From what I understand, your fat consumption can be limited by your output. If it gives you diarrhea, you are eating too much. You are only going to absorb approximately 20% of the fat you consume. The rest will be expelled, get it? This is where the oil slicks in the toilet come from. In my experience, I have only had an orange oil slick in the toilet once. It was preceded by Nalley's Chili. I love the stuff but, it kills me.

From what I understand, your fat consumption can be limited by your output. If it gives you diarrhea, you are eating too much. You are only going to absorb approximately 20% of the fat you consume. The rest will be expelled, get it? This is where the oil slicks in the toilet come from. In my experience, I have only had an orange oil slick in the toilet once. It was preceded by Nalley's Chili. I love the stuff but, it kills me.

OK, well, I ate fat today and it seems OK What has given me the runs is watermelon, potato leek soup, and unfortunately guacamole (had no chips). I'm hoping over time, this goes away. Well, I don't care about the soup, but watermelon and guac are staples for me.

Dump everything low fat. Fat is your friend. And forget calories. The only thing you need to remember it the only good carb is the one you don't eat!

So are all carbs created equal? Are complex carbs better than simple sugars? For example, I like corn (a lot) and its different than a cookie.

http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/fats-are-not-the-enemy.3185/

Not in your body, it's not. Besides, unless you chew it to mush, you will see corn in the toilet.

And how do the fatten animals for slaughter? Yeah, they feed them CORN!

Forgive me for not quite getting this, is corn different than a cookie. I would think I'd absorb a cookie easily, but is that true for complex carbs like corn. In other words, can I eat complex carbs - corn, potatoes, etc - and not gain weight.

Forgive me for not quite getting this, is corn different than a cookie. I would think I'd absorb a cookie easily, but is that true for complex carbs like corn. In other words, can I eat complex carbs - corn, potatoes, etc - and not gain weight.
Corn, potatoes, etc are ALL starches.

Simple sugars (which a cookie is not cause it is made of flour, etc) are absorbed the min it touches the salivary glands in the mouth. Complex starches/carbs also start absorbing in the mouth. But do take a bit longer to absorb.

Bottom line, just eat protein and fat first and get rid of the idea that carbs are even remotely friendly at least until you lose all your excess and get into maintenance.

Example, last nights dinner was sharing a 8 oz steak with my hubby and a couple of slivers of grilled zucchini (brushed with olive oil). No starch at all.

And while in active weight loss, eating starches/carbs didn't affect my weight loss, now in maintenance it can easily cause weight gain.

I've never counted or looked at a calorie since I had the DS. If you can move away from it, you'll prob. find the DS life much easier. :thumbsdown:

While you are in weight loss mode just don't eat carbs. Period. When you reach your goal, try to lose 10% more because almost everyone has some regain. Just lose the weight while it is easy!

Here's why... It's not all that unusual for people to never lose all the weight. Men usually do but quite a few women don't. The time for easy weight loss is limited and the further out you are, the harder it is. Give yourself the best possible chance to lose it all as soon as possible.

Once you hit your mark weight wise, you can find out what you can have in the carb department and still maintain. Here's the best maintenance plan I have ever seen. You weigh every day and if you are over your number or range two days in a row, no more carbs till the excess is gone. That way it never becomes unmanageable! If you are lucky you may be able to eat pretty much as you please but remember, things change over time. Our bodies WANT to be fat and they will do what they can to adapt!

If you want a veggie, do the low carb ones like green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and lettuce. Fruits and juices are pretty much NO! You might as well just eat some sugar! And sugar is sugar. Doesn't matter if it comes from the sugar jar, corn, wheat, or chocolate.

If it turns out you are one of the lucky few who can really eat as they please, all this means is you reach your goal faster. Good for you! If it turns out you are NOT that lucky, you will have no regrets because you did the best you could!

Latest posts

Back