30 days post op food questions

Well, you LIVE in corn fields, LOL...I know we have our fair share in NC but man, the MILES of them out here is just staggering. Altho I suspect much of it is feed corn???
Hahahahahaha. Yeah going through IL and Iowa you are going to see miles and mile and miles of corn and soy beans. Most of it is field corn that ends up being feed or processed for other things. My wife actually works for a seed corn company who grows and sells the seed that Farmers plant to grow the field corn. As a teenager I grew up detassling that seed corn so it pollinated properly and didn't turn into field corn. As you can imagine that seed corn sells for just a tad more than field corn. :D

As a teenager I grew up detassling that seed corn so it pollinated properly and didn't turn into field corn.
I heard about the detassling here so I looked at the fields of corn back home...none of it was detassled and most of it is for human consumption as sweet corn, etc.

I heard about the detassling here so I looked at the fields of corn back home...none of it was detassled and most of it is for human consumption as sweet corn, etc.
yeah, you only detassle seed corn. Typically they plant two bull/male rows to 4-8 female rows of corn. At the right time an I don't know how they determine it, you pull the tassels out of the female rows and they take the bull rows out after they pollinate the female rows.

yeah, you only detassle seed corn. Typically they plant two bull/male rows to 4-8 female rows of corn. At the right time an I don't know how they determine it, you pull the tassels out of the female rows and they take the bull rows out after they pollinate the female rows.
I remember sitting on the front porch with my Mother back in the late 90's after she retired and was getting her Master Gardener. It was funny listening to her...she said she NEVER knew corn had a sex life. :) She got hers thru Clemson Extension...so did my daddy. Unfortunately neither of them were successful at making me a gardener. My daddy was into "organic" gardening LONG before it became the thing to do. He was picking bugs off plants, refusing to use pesticides, using cow manure back in the 1930's to the end of his life just a few years ago.

I remember sitting on the front porch with my Mother back in the late 90's after she retired and was getting her Master Gardener. It was funny listening to her...she said she NEVER knew corn had a sex life. :) She got hers thru Clemson Extension...so did my daddy. Unfortunately neither of them were successful at making me a gardener. My daddy was into "organic" gardening LONG before it became the thing to do. He was picking bugs off plants, refusing to use pesticides, using cow manure back in the 1930's to the end of his life just a few years ago.
Hahaha on corn sex! Good on your folks for the green thumb and organic gardening.

It doesn't HAVE to fit in. I am more active than pre-DS but I was never and never will be into exercise just to exercise. My activity level DID go up but it was on doing things like home renovations, yard work, etc. NOT EXERCISE.

But even those who can NOT exercise can lose weight and keep it off with the DS. It FIXES your busted metabolism, not 100% but maybe 80-90%.

Yes, if you eat enough carbs you can regain even with the DS. But as @Munchkin says, maximize your chances now. I got to a low of 121 for 10 second. But now stay around 145ish. Funny thing, my eating DID NOT change from my first year to my fifth year. I eat the same basic way now as I did when I was LOSING. What happened? 1) I got older 2) My body got use to how I was feeding it.

And believe it or not, you CAN underfeed your DS. Go reread this post again: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/d...m-weight-loss-thoughts.4470/page-2#post-67653

Thanks! I like exercise, just not all the time. But I like having a strong heart. I'm thinking 4 times a week.

Please stay away from DS advice from pretty much anywhere but hear or Dr K's duodenal switch FB private group. There is so much BS out there.

OK, that makes sense. It's just there is so much about post weight loss phase here and not much on the first 18 months.

This is just my opinion on how we should eat. Please eat all foods, including carbs and proteins. You just have to do it in moderation. I am a firm believer that if you don't eat any carbs you will eventually fail and have a huge train wreck. It just isn't possible for 99% of the population to eat 10 grams of carbs or less a day for very long....that is why the atkins diets don't work long term. Moderation is key and your body will tell you if you are eating too many or the wrong kind of carbs as you will get horrible gas pain and or diarrhea. Too much fat will also give bad diarrhea.

BTW there are studies out there showing that it doesn't matter if your calories come from protein or carbs. It is energy in (nutrients absorbed) - energy out (what body burns) that equals weight loss. Low carb high fat diets have been shown to be no more effective than diets where there were more carbs, as long as calories absorbed were kept the same....note the absorbed part. It isn't calories eaten but calories that we absorb and no two DS's are created equally. That means we all absorb differently. Yes in general you will absorb more carbs than fat or protein.

Please note that I am not advocating eating a ton of carbs, or a ton of fat for that matter. I do think keeping around 50-75 carbs a day if possible during the first year or so of the DS is a good idea.

Yep, I love veggies and fruits, and I'm not giving them up. I just don't have a lot of room now, but I will get there. I'm looking forward to fresh baked bread again and pizza.

Thanks for your help every one.

@DSRIGGS A fellow former detasseler here! My gosh, that was hard work. But I remember being so blown away with my paychecks. That was the only job an under-16-year old could get back then that paid at least minimum wage. It was more than triple my babysitting salary. Oh, those were the days.

@Munchkin That was an epic comment. I completely agree with what you've said -- we really are superhumans. And yet, I feel so sad that I feel as though I brought most of this on myself. If I had never dieted . . . If I had never dieted, I would probably be on the large side of average. Or the average side of large. But, would I be morbidly obese? I really believe I hurt myself irrevocably every time I chose to do my favorite grape juice diet. I look at pictures of myself my freshman year in high school, and I can't believe how "normal" I was. Of course, I felt huge, but I really, really wasn't.

Anyway, this isn't about me, but I appreciate you asking this question @galaxygrrl. Post-op eating is a topic I wonder about a lot, too.

@Munchkin That was an epic comment. I completely agree with what you've said -- we really are superhumans. And yet, I feel so sad that I feel as though I brought most of this on myself. If I had never dieted . . . If I had never dieted, I would probably be on the large side of average. Or the average side of large. But, would I be morbidly obese? I really believe I hurt myself irrevocably every time I chose to do my favorite grape juice diet. I look at pictures of myself my freshman year in high school, and I can't believe how "normal" I was. Of course, I felt huge, but I really, really wasn't.

Anyway, this isn't about me, but I appreciate you asking this question @galaxygrrl. Post-op eating is a topic I wonder about a lot, too.

Of course, yo dieted, like everyone else in America. Don't beat yourself up on it. Obesity is because of genes and our toxic food environment. You did nothing wrong.

@DSRIGGS A fellow former detasseler here! My gosh, that was hard work. But I remember being so blown away with my paychecks. That was the only job an under-16-year old could get back then that paid at least minimum wage. It was more than triple my babysitting salary. Oh, those were the days.

Ha. I did it for 8 years! Started in 6th grade. It was hard work but it did pay well. The last several years I was a crew boss so it was a couple more bucks an hour and I banked a lot.

Thanks! I like exercise, just not all the time. But I like having a strong heart. I'm thinking 4 times a week.

OK, that makes sense. It's just there is so much about post weight loss phase here and not much on the first 18 months.

Yep, I love veggies and fruits, and I'm not giving them up. I just don't have a lot of room now, but I will get there. I'm looking forward to fresh baked bread again and pizza.

Thanks for your help every one.

I'm wondering about your comment about fresh baked bread and pizza.

For my education, is it fair to assume that DS'ers can have some bread or pizza, much later in the weight loss period (as in, after a year?), as long as you count it in your daily carb intake numbers?

Thanks!

Yes, you can have bread and pizza in maintenance, after the weight loss phase. Small doses, like one slice of pizza without crust. For bread, a single slice with butter or peanut butter. There are three reasons you will limit your intake: one is that it is harder to maintain the weight loss and two is the intestinal gas it will create and three is that you will have a hard time having room for the protein. Undigested carbs in the colon, oh my, no. The worst thing for maintenance is sugar in any form. That said, no one can be forever perfect.

Yes, you can have bread and pizza in maintenance, after the weight loss phase. Small doses, like one slice of pizza without crust. For bread, a single slice with butter or peanut butter. There are three reasons you will limit your intake: one is that it is harder to maintain the weight loss and two is the intestinal gas it will create and three is that you will have a hard time having room for the protein. Undigested carbs in the colon, oh my, no. The worst thing for maintenance is sugar in any form. That said, no one can be forever perfect.
I eat as much pizza as I can...but not the crust. The crust is just to hold the toppings.

I eat pizza often as well. The crust I don't eat much at all but I eat a great deal of the cheese, sausage, peporoni, onions, shrooms and peppers. Great protein. If I eat crust it is the little bit at the edge that is very crispy

Latest posts

Back