2 Years Post-Op

Whit

Hello Friends,
Today is my 2 year revision surgery anniversary. For those who do not know my storyI revised from RNY to DS 2012 with the amazing Dr. Ara Keshishian.

Brief recap- RNY 2002, 100 pound loss, regain, marginal ulcers, return of co-morbidities including sever reflux. Overall poor quality of life, no life at all actually, had me scouring the internet for a surgical solution. I was all set to have RNY "tune-up”and joined Obesityhelp online for support, confirmation of “gut” instincts, and information. Laura found me, Diana informed me, and the rest is history.

Over the past 2 years I have gone from 240 to 119, from agonizing about walking a block or climbing stairs to walking for miles, rolling around on the floor with Grandkids, and yes even crawling through a doggy door when locked out of the house. I have much more self confidence.

Life is not all rosy though. I struggle with eating enough. I have problems eating after 5pm. My stomach just closes up. I still vomit occasionally-usually at night (at my worst it was daily sometimes multiple times). Sometimes I feel frail and I am at the bottom of “normal” BMI. Two more pounds and I will be under weight. I know this will change but waiting is proving worrisome. I am not a patient person.

My labs are continuing to trend down. I was NPO for the first 2.5 months then liquids for another 2. The thought of swallowing anything that was not pulverized was terrifying. I have only myself to blame I did not get into a routine taking vitamins. I am doing better but I think it may be a while before I get my levels up.

I recommend routines. Take your vitamins everyday at the same time…everyday. Even if you know your going to vomit. Just do it.

I really appreciate the unconditional love and support I have been given on this board. You have all really played a huge part in my progress. So many have had far worse challenges to face. I have never in my life been part of a group that puts their own troubles on the back burner and really digs in to help others. I consider myself very fortunate.

Thank you all. Heres to another year!

IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0016.JPG

Congratulations...even though it sounds like you got off to a rocky start, you look happy.
Are you glad you did the revision? Any regrets?

I'm curious about the vomiting. Did you vomit easily pre WLS? I ask because I've never been one who vomits easily. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've vomited in my whole life....and most of them were because I drank too much! I've never vomited since I've had my VSG and I sure hope I don't start now after my revision!

Congrats on two years!! You have had great success. Do you use a vitamin organizer? I fill mine once a month and it really helps to keep me on track.

Can you sip on a protein shake in the evening? Maybe that would help with your weight. I am sorry you are still having trouble in the evenings.

Thanks Ladies,

Star- I was not a vomiter pre revision. It was a stomach thing. If I ate to much or to fast. Sometimes if I forced myself to eat when I did not want it. If you are doing ok with the Sleeve you will probably not have any issues. I had a micro pouch so my reassembled then sleeved stomach is pretty small and temperamental. Not much nausea so it is not as bad as it sounds.

NA- I do drink protein in the evenings if I can not get food in. I still purchase Vitalady pre-packs and do pretty good now only an occasional missed dose. Once your in the hole its hard to get out.

Best,
Whit

Congratulations...even though it sounds like you got off to a rocky start, you look happy.
Are you glad you did the revision? Any regrets?

I'm curious about the vomiting. Did you vomit easily pre WLS? I ask because I've never been one who vomits easily. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've vomited in my whole life....and most of them were because I drank too much! I've never vomited since I've had my VSG and I sure hope I don't start now after my revision!
In 5 years with my DS I have only vomited twice. Both times were at Benihana's restaurant and I was 4 years out. I ate soup, salad (I think this acted as a plug), lobster, shrimp, lots of rice (which expanded in my stomach when I drank diet soda), scallops, a few pieces of sushi and a scoop of ice cream. You'd think I would have learned the first time. The bushes outside the restaurant didn't know what him them.

Whit, congrats on your revision surgiversary! I know you had a rocky start but you plowed thru and kept on keeping on...
And you are LOOKING awesome.

I'm sorry to hear about the vomiting but congratulations and I love the photos - you look fantastic!!

Glad to see you're celebrating your 2 year anniversary. Sorry to hear not all is rosy but hope things settle down for you soon.

Star, I vomited a lot after my DS. Several times a week for the first year and then at least once a week for the second year. Mostly it was b/c I drank too much liquid right after I ate. I was thirsty and just drank and drank.

After those first couple of years, it hasn't been much at all. Of course, when I push myself past the full point or drink too much liquid after eating, I will get the dry heaves and vomit. But that's maybe twice a year and it's my fault. ;)

You look marvelous. Thank you for being here and sharing your story.

Latest posts

Back