1st post-op lab test, questions about ferritin

Kiekerdepiekske

So I just picked up a copy of the first lab tests that were done after being switched last november. i would post them here but since they are in Dutch that probably wouldn't be very helpful. Overall all the results seem to be perfectly midrange with two exceptions. B12 is > 1100 but I read somewhere that that isn't a problem.

Ferritin, however, is a whole different story. Came out at 7 ug/l while range should be between 10 (low) and 150 (high). Iron seems pretty normal at 12.8 umol/ (range is 5.0 - 30.0) and hemoglobin is 7.8 (range 7.5 - 10.0). So I am not anemic?

Any idea what this means? I have been terribly tired (and cold) and I guess this could explain that but still confused.

Thank you for reading. I have not been much of a contributor since my operation but I do read almost every single post. I just sometimes feel that with all those powerhouses of knowledge that post here I don't have much to add.

Greetings from the Netherlands (currently having a 85% solar eclipse),
Angelique

Your iron stores are low. There is a progression in iron deficiency anemia. The ferritin is low, eventually your other values, the iron and HGB, are going to drop.

Isn't high B12 a sign of one of the leukemias? I believe though it is a lot higher than that? 2000 range?

Have they ever mentioned it? I had a doctor who blew off medical research that I showed him it was a potential cause and to ask them to run some bloodwork to verify. Needless to say, I'm not with them now and it took a few other things to get that issue resolved elsewhere.

Its not something most docs know.

Have they ever mentioned it? I had a doctor who blew off medical research that I showed him it was a potential cause and to ask them to run some bloodwork to verify. Needless to say, I'm not with them now and it took a few other things to get that issue resolved elsewhere.

Its not something most docs know.
You would think as many docs as I have seen in the last 30 years, someone would have said something. And I've lived all over.

Most sadly I have found I need to verify using medical databases. In respect, not everyone can know everything, so I found it useful to read the literature. You are your own best advocate but I'm sure you know that. You are very informative and helpful.

I'd like to repay that. When you've had those who haven't treated you well, you remember the kind people who help you.

So I just picked up a copy of the first lab tests that were done after being switched last november. i would post them here but since they are in Dutch that probably wouldn't be very helpful. Overall all the results seem to be perfectly midrange with two exceptions. B12 is > 1100 but I read somewhere that that isn't a problem.

Ferritin, however, is a whole different story. Came out at 7 ug/l while range should be between 10 (low) and 150 (high). Iron seems pretty normal at 12.8 umol/ (range is 5.0 - 30.0) and hemoglobin is 7.8 (range 7.5 - 10.0). So I am not anemic?

Any idea what this means? I have been terribly tired (and cold) and I guess this could explain that but still confused.

Thank you for reading. I have not been much of a contributor since my operation but I do read almost every single post. I just sometimes feel that with all those powerhouses of knowledge that post here I don't have much to add.

Greetings from the Netherlands (currently having a 85% solar eclipse),
Angelique

Hiya Angelique! Not too bad with the labs, just got to be sure to never miss doses of your iron. I know it can be rough on ya stomach, but remember that iron deficiency can cause hair loss, among many other undesirable problems such as fatigue and sensitivity to cold. We don't need any help losing our hair post op!! Hey, where in the Netherlands are you? I lived in Ellecom in the early 1980's for almost 10 months. Loved Holland! I was right across the street from the largest national park in the Netherlands. The cold sensitivity still haunts me today, but I've read it many times stops after 24 months post op. Can anyone vouch for this?

Latest posts

Back