what happened

Charris

Now an angel
My dr here said Dr. K said my body was not absorbing the protein I was eating. I was malnourished.

Do you have more information than that, hon? There has to be a REASON for it. Pancreatitis? Colitis? Have they tried adding Creon to help you absorb better?

@Charris, So glad you are on the way to recovery! We have all been so worried! What is the plan to get sufficient protein going forward? Is there a special form of concentrated or broken down protein you can take? Or pancreatic enzymes, like Creon to help with digestion?

CHarris,

I am concerned. Not that you might die, like I was before. But I am concerned that you (and I, to tell the truth) do not even understand the questions all these smarty-pants people with science backgrounds are asking.

And *IF* you don't really understand all the science geek trash talk, you may not know what to do to keep yourself healthy when you get out.

I think that if I were in your place, I would ask Larra or Diana or Hilary (or some local person you know who understands the science stuff well enough to explain it to NORMAL people...and I don't think your doctor is very good at this) if they would help translate from doctor talk-to human talk. You might have to add one of them to your HIPAA forms, temporarily. Long enough for you to know for sure what has been going on.

No offense, Sweetie, but your answers tell me that you don't understand the situation enough to know how you got in this mess and what they are doing to get you OUT of this mess and even what you need to do when you go home so that it doesn't happen again.

In my opinion, you REALLY need to have a firm grip on this information. It could be a matter of life and death.

Also...my experience with trying to die...it involved pneumonia and asthma and not enough oxygen getting to my brain. And I *KIND OF* understood what they were saying, but not completely because there just wasn't enough oxygen to keep my brain working right. If you were down five units on blood...you may have had a physical reason that it doesn't completely make sense.

Sometimes, doctors frustrate me. They should ALL make their patients explain everything back at them to make sure that communication is happening. Otherwise, they are just entertaining themselves with big words.

@Charris, So glad you are on the way to recovery! We have all been so worried! What is the plan to get sufficient protein going forward? Is there a special form of concentrated or broken down protein you can take? Or pancreatic enzymes, like Creon to help with digestion?

I have TPN running 24 hours

My dr here said Dr. K said my body was not absorbing the protein I was eating. I was malnourished.
This is not surprising. You have a DS so OF COURSE you don't absorb a lot of the protein you eat.

You might not remember this, but I harped on you a LOT about kicking up your protein intake....and you did not do it. You ate some other things, didn't sound like a lot, but still, stuff that was not protein.

Combine that with your complications--and your anemia--and it's not surprise that you got malnourished.

What ELSE is going on?

I don't understand this either, and I am not malnourished. Charris, I am so glad you are getting help and hope you get better soon. BUT malnourishment affects everything and what Sue said, especially

No offense, Sweetie, but your answers tell me that you don't understand the situation enough to know how you got in this mess and what they are doing to get you OUT of this mess and even what you need to do when you go home so that it doesn't happen again.

Latest posts

Back