Weakness

JKap19

I appreciate everyone's time to read my posts. I'm not trying to complain, just trying to understand what is going on with my body. I'm 8 days into my 2 week pre op liquid diet. I'm doing alright, getting vits and protein in for the most part (usually 4 30g protein shakes a day, one day only 3, the very next day 5) My doc told me to get 5 in a day. I am also getting in over 64 oz of water as well. I am feeling weak and seemed to get tired pretty easily. Occasionally I get light headed but I think it's from standing up too fast. Is this just my body getting used to using protein instead of carbs? My carb count is less than 40 most days.

I feel like that when my blood pressure gets low, but you are probably just adjusting to fewer calories, and more specifically calories that cant be turned into fuel as quickly as simple carbs can. Simple carbs are the ones most easily stored by our bodies, but they are also the easiest / fastest source for energy. You are getting very few of those.

Thanks for the reply bearmom. Will it always be like this or does the body adjust after surgery. I have read on hear that the first several weeks can be tough and energy can be low so I'm fully aware of that possibilities and I have even read a few have taken many months to get back to what they call normal. I am worried about this being the new normal?

Thanks for the reply bearmom. Will it always be like this or does the body adjust after surgery. I have read on hear that the first several weeks can be tough and energy can be low so I'm fully aware of that possibilities and I have even read a few have taken many months to get back to what they call normal. I am worried about this being the new normal?
I felt like the DS 18 wheeler had run over me, backed up, and hit me again...for about 6-8 weeks. However, by the 3 month mark, I was so full of energy that I tackled a kitchen and bath remodel...scraping wallpaper, laying tile, painting.

Once you start eating reasonably normal again after surgery and all the anesthesia is out of your system, things get back to normal. Maybe even better cause I sure didn't have that level of energy pre-op.

I am feeling weak and seemed to get tired pretty easily. Occasionally I get light headed but I think it's from standing up too fast.

that is what low blood pressure feels like, FYI. doesn't mean that's what it is but it could be.

Caused by all of the above. Most likely it's giving up the carbs. Have you tested to see if you are in ketosis? If it's the carb fog, it will go away in a few days.

HOWEVER.... And this is important. LOOK at that protein shake mix. Does it say supplement or meal replacement? If it says supplement, it's safe bet it does not have all the salts/electrolytes we need to live. If you are relying on that supplement for more than half your nutrition you could be in big trouble. If that's the case you need some gatorade and a snack size bag of chips right now. And going forward you need to make sure you are getting all your electrolytes in 1 form or another. And if this is the case and this 'shake' is something you doc ordered you to do, you need to read him the riot act because he/she should know better that to put anyone on an electrolyte depleted diet.

Last edited:
The recovery was indeed slow, and even though I was up to doing very little the first few weeks, even months out, I was still not all the way up to speed. That said, I WAS doing better than my pre-surgery overweight self had been doing, just not ALL the way normal for months.

Also about ketosis, you may have a clue you're in ketosis if you smell different, particularly your breath.

The recovery was indeed slow, and even though I was up to doing very little the first few weeks, even months out, I was still not all the way up to speed. That said, I WAS doing better than my pre-surgery overweight self had been doing, just not ALL the way normal for months.

Also about ketosis, you may have a clue you're in ketosis if you smell different, particularly your breath.
This is the preop shake diet. That's why I am worried about electrolytes.

So I'm using Premier Protein and of course it doesn't say on the container if its a meal replacement or supplement. It just says High Protein Shake. The back of it says "Enjoy a shake as a meal replacement or a healthy snack". I started on some sugar free Gatorade on Saturday (I was cutting grass and so freaking exhausted doing it I took breaks and downed the Gatorade). Maybe I need to be drinking that more often. My dietician called me today to "check-in" and I told how weak I was feeling and she suggested skim milk. So I could get a little bit of carbs along with my protein. Not a big fan of skim milk so I don't see that happening. Also all of my nutrition is coming from the shakes and I'm taking my vitamins now as well. The only "food" I can have is sugar free jello and popsicles.

bearmom - I've noticed that my mouth tastes different (kinda icky) and it's terribly dry. I have been waking up with cotton mouth the past few days.

Is this what you are using? http://shop.premierprotein.com/Prem...owder/p/PREM-200574&c=PremierProtein@Powders#

prem-200574.gif

We need about 2000mg of salt per day, 320mg per day magnesium, 4700mg potassium, and at least 1000mg calcium. This crap is a supplement and you feel like crap because you have electrolyte imbalance. This is serious and you need to fix this right away. http://www.emedicinehealth.com/electrolytes/article_em.htm A diet with no electrolytes for 2 weeks could literally kill you.

I know I am just another nutbag on the internet so call your NUT and ask him/her the consequences of no potassium and magnesium for 2 weeks.

Premier Protein.jpeg Here's the REAL label info on Premier Protein ready to drink. I have it and am looking at it in my hand.

Latest posts

Back