Weakness

Granted, it may have changed since then, but here's my pre-op diet...and my surgeon is one of the very most experienced on the planet:

2 days pre-op, full liquid diet...cream soups and similar
1 day pre-op, clear liquid diet, nothing red or containing red food coloring

That's it.

I'm a snarky, almost 12 years post-op, grumpy old woman...but I think that stuff you're drinking has already achieved its true purpose...it's made your surgeon a few extra bucks.

I think it's time for a decent meal.

Oops...doctor is making you buy vitamins from hospital, but not the protein?

Sorry.

(But the vitamin thing is unethical.)

If not eating the right nutrients is making you sick, eat something. This isn't like "cheating" on a "diet." That's a mentality you will have to abandon as you adjust to the DS.

I'm not sure why some doctors turn into diet Nazis and others stay human...but, in the overall scheme of things, both types of surgeons seem to have patients who survive.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for responding. Munchkin: I am actually using the pre-made premier protein shakes which do have some potassium and sodium in it. I'm not getting nearly the amount you said we needed though.

Spiky Bugger - I could buy my own protein shakes (although they tried to sell their protein powder) but had to buy their vitamins and calcium citrate for 3 months. I actually had to bring them with me to the my last consult to prove I had them.

I did cheat last night - I ate an entire jar of dill pickles and I felt so much better this morning. They are very low calorie but have a lot of sodium, no carbs, etc. They were SOOOOO good.

Thanks everyone for responding. Munchkin: I am actually using the pre-made premier protein shakes which do have some potassium and sodium in it. I'm not getting nearly the amount you said we needed though.

Spiky Bugger - I could buy my own protein shakes (although they tried to sell their protein powder) but had to buy their vitamins and calcium citrate for 3 months. I actually had to bring them with me to the my last consult to prove I had them.

I did cheat last night - I ate an entire jar of dill pickles and I felt so much better this morning. They are very low calorie but have a lot of sodium, no carbs, etc. They were SOOOOO good.

I thought about suggesting a double cheeseburger, but I guess you really needed sodium.

Post-op, we (most of us, I'm slow) learn to figure out that well, yes, I DO feel hungry and I DID foolishly buy Mrs Katz's gluten-free donuts, just in time to put that box back in the freezer and realize that what we are craving is protein...and that if we were to eat the donuts, we'd still be hungry.

ETA...stop thinking of "cheating" as part of this equation. Cheating is what people do on tests and taxes. We don't "cheat" on a spouse, we commit adultery...and we don't "cheat" on a diet when we eat pickles because we are getting sick without needed nutrients...we just meet our needs. Cheating implies there's a game involved and you may or may not get away with something.

Last edited:
Like @Spiky Bugger I hate that people talk about "cheating" when it comes to diets and food. Eating isn't a sin, and people who eat are not bad people. Yes, we can make better or worse choices, but that's all they are, choices, not cheating. All of us need to abandon that mind set.
My pre-op "diet" was clear liquids the day before surgery and nothing after midnight the night before. And IMHO forcing patients to purchase vitamins or supplements or shakes or skin creams or ANY product in receive medically necessary care is unethical. I don't fault YOU for going along with it because it was the only way you could get the care you need - which is why it's unethical. If the doctor wants to OFFER a product as a convenience for his patients, that's fine, but that's not what your doctor does.

I was pretty weak on my two week pre-op too! I stayed on it fairly faithfully but did eat a few extras to survive! Use your head, if you have energy to think, and do eat what you need. It'll be over soon! Hang in.

Latest posts

Back