Watch out for THIS problem!!

But...but...this phlebotomist also missed the PTH, Intact...and that, I think, has to be spun. Or maybe that's the B6, which has also been delayed. Either way, I have to go for another draw. (I've been using this form at a hospital-owned lab group in So. Cal and Quest in Nevada for a total of NINE YEARS!! I never had any tests missed since I started using it. But I will highlight that for the future.)

BUT WAIT! There's more! I just noticed...she wrote in the comments section, "pt not fasting and rude"

ROFLMFAO!! I was not rude. I was insistent that she did the correct Vit D test, because all she wrote was "Vit D." And I wanted to make sure it was the right test. She said there was only one Vit D test and I told her that there were several Vit D tests (because you said so...lol) and that's what made me rude, I guess. (Your fault, for providing me with accurate info.)

You know...I wasn't going to mention the husband/boyfriend bit and that she was just pissed in general that we got there close to the end of her day. Now it will be a couple of bullet points. And I think a copy may have to go to corporate HR or someplace.

Luckily, there are three other PSCs in this town and maybe ten others in the general area. And Quest, too.

What a day!

I would go to a different PSC...she's a moron!
One of our biggest saving graces that cut down on that kind of stupid crap was when they came out with nationwide COR years back....central order repository. So my system automatically generates a requisition for every order placed that includes the test name and number and sends it electronically to COR which they then pull up in their system.. It's hard for the phlebs to mess that up...but it still happens on occasion. Mostly if they can't find the req in COR or they pull up the wrong one.
They image everything so that's a big help for us when there's a problem. First thing we do is call LC and say fax me everything imaged for this order. Then we can see exactly what the patient brought in, we can see what the phleb pulled and used, etc.

There's really no excuse though for missing individual tests that are spelled out when they're not part of a panel. Very frustrating.

Yes, the party this summer was lovely - but then, how could a party where Kirmy is one of the guests of honor go badly?? I merely provided the stage. Left to right: Tammy, Charles Ramsey, Cathy (BuffaloBillsFan), Liz Ramsey (SouthernLady), moi, Chris Michal, Whit and Kirmy. Not shown, the camera-shy Larra.
10353187_10154372355790467_8384166126731172889_n.jpg

I have a couple of weird cancer marker blood tests, which I *cannot* get any lab nearby to handle properly. The first problem is that they require z-tubes, which no one keeps in stock. Second, the labs need to be processed by InterSciences Institute (ISI) as they are the only processor with a reliable result, which I and my onco always specify, but they almost always end up being sent to Cambridge instead.... So frustrating - I can totally relate!

LOL... @star0210 I went to my PCP today. She told me that she saw where the chick wrote that I was rude and without saying a word to me, she called the PSC and told the site manager she had never seen anything so unprofessional on a lab report. They were supposed to send HER a corrected paper copy and still have not.

Soooo...today I called North Carolina. Got someone high enough up the food chain that she didn't need to transfer me. I will be hearing from her on Thursday, by which time the area supervisor's manager (who handed me off DOWN the food chain, but may find time to call me now) should have found a way to resolve this.

Soooo...today I called North Carolina. Got someone high enough up the food chain that she didn't need to transfer me. I will be hearing from her on Thursday, by which time the area supervisor's manager (who handed me off DOWN the food chain, but may find time to call me now) should have found a way to resolve this.
And the supervisor's manager AIN'T gonna be a happy camper at having to do that but will because the alternative is lose the job.

The ones high enough on the food chain do NOT like having to deal with stupid mistakes.

And the supervisor's manager AIN'T gonna be a happy camper at having to do that but will because the alternative is lose the job.

The ones high enough on the food chain do NOT like having to deal with stupid mistakes.

True, but...he shouldn't have handed me off DOWN the food chain. I mean, if my doctor ALSO called, on her own,without my saying anything...that's pretty bad.

I have a couple of weird cancer marker blood tests, which I *cannot* get any lab nearby to handle properly. The first problem is that they require z-tubes, which no one keeps in stock. Second, the labs need to be processed by InterSciences Institute (ISI) as they are the only processor with a reliable result, which I and my onco always specify, but they almost always end up being sent to Cambridge instead.... So frustrating - I can totally relate!
Hilary I don't know your medical history, no do I know what you are having ordered, and for what reason, but I can tell you what I have done in the past for rare lab assays. I am very picky about where I have my lab work performed. First go to a reputable drawing station. Secondly when you have rare lab work call the drawing station BEFORE you go, and tell them what your doctor ordered, for example you could tell them: " my doctor ordered Pancreastatin, it requires a special collection tube, it is an EDTA Z-tube that is available from ISI, kept at 2-8 C". You can't expect EDTA Z-tubes to be on hand, available (the requirments for post phelebotomy should be the hosptials responsibilty-spin, separate, freeze etc). the next question I would ask is where is this sent out for analysis? To which reference laboratory? This is where calling will help, call around and ask where they send the sample in question to, a level 1 trauma hospitals will have a send out department, that deals with thousands of samples/day. The only time a specific assay MUST be performed at a specific location, is if it is proprietary testing, as in the case of VAP testing, that is not your case, ISI is a preference. Also the hospital (or the lab work location, clinic etc) must have an account with ISI, and many will use Cambridge since it is much cheaper. So keep calling around till you find someone who uses ISI as their send out lab. A little preparation you should be all set, just like the DS, most know nothing about it, you have to advocate and do most of the legwork.

It's not a preference - the results from Cambridge are not reliable and cannot be used by my oncologist. He has actually provided me with studies demonstrating that ISI is the *only* lab that has reliable data for the assays I need. Even if Cambridge were effective for my tests, which it is not, we are following trends and need a consistent frame of reference, so switching between labs is not feasible. Sending my blood elsewhere is the equivalent of throwing it in the trash, in my mind. It provides no useful information.

I've done all that is suggested and more - made a zillion calls for set up, have even had ISI call the labs on my behalf, have had the tubes sent to my house to bring them myself, no matter what I tried *every* order required multiple trips, redraws, etc. Honestly, I finally just gave up on the labs in my area. Now, every three months, I board a plane for a day trip to the one lab I trust - which is the one located on premises at my oncologist's hospital. It's the only way I can ensure I will get the information needed on a timely and consistent basis.

Just frustrating that it had to come to that, so I can easily relate to Spiky's headache here!

It's not a preference - the results from Cambridge are not reliable and cannot be used by my oncologist. He has actually provided me with studies demonstrating that ISI is the *only* lab that has reliable data for the assays I need. Even if Cambridge were effective for my tests, which it is not, we are following trends and need a consistent frame of reference, so switching between labs is not feasible. Sending my blood elsewhere is the equivalent of throwing it in the trash, in my mind. It provides no useful information.

I've done all that is suggested and more - made a zillion calls for set up, have even had ISI call the labs on my behalf, have had the tubes sent to my house to bring them myself, no matter what I tried *every* order required multiple trips, redraws, etc. Honestly, I finally just gave up on the labs in my area. Now, every three months, I board a plane for a day trip to the one lab I trust - which is the one located on premises at my oncologist's hospital. It's the only way I can ensure I will get the information needed on a timely and consistent basis.

Just frustrating that it had to come to that, so I can easily relate to Spiky's headache here!

You are a delicate flower, worthy of special handling. I'm glad you get just that.

Aw. Spiky. You, too! I'm more of a mutant than a flower, but definitely in need of special handling. Hope all is well! :)

Well...phone rang shortly after 8 this morning. Call from a regional manager. The letter I requested has been drafted. The employee who caused this problem "has been dealt with," the records will be corrected, my doctor will get the corrected reports SHE requested and I won't have to pay for the EXTRA Vitamin D test.

So THERE, you bitchy phlebotomy lady!

Sorry for the colds, ladies. That's no fun!

Well done on the phlebotomy front, though I expected no less. Once again karma has proven nobody better mess with Spiky!

Latest posts

Back