Voice

I didn't start taking Protonix until 1 month post surgery. My inability to sing started around day 5 post surgery. I initially started out with Nexium because that is what they gave me before leaving the hospital. I had a slight sore throat when I got out of surgery but it only lasted 2-3 days. I guess Protonix could be adding to the issue but I'm not sure. Also, my speaking voice is the same. It's only when I sing that my voice keeps cracking. I also can't sing as loud when I'm singing in my upper register. That's when it sounds the worst. The only way I can describe it is that it sounds exactly like a boy going into puberty. Since the surgery, my allergies and my sinuses have been completely clear. More clearer than it's ever been in the last 10 years. Also, my eczema is gone and my skin is more clearer than it's ever been besides the acne from the vitamins but even that's clearing up. I don't have heartburn but I understand that it could still be an issue and damaging my voice even though I don't feel anything. I never had heart burn with my lap band either.
my throat was sore a few days after surgery too, then felt ok, except for the hoarseness and weakness of my voice. It was a couple or three weeks before I contacted Nina to ask about it and she told me it was probably acid reflux and to double up on the Nexium. I read up on Nexium and found it was considered one of the better meds for healing an esophagus that had been irritated by acid reflux and also read it can take a while for the healing to happen. At first I had trouble speaking of a morning and when I tried to raise my voice as in hollering, it didn't work at all. Forget singing, like you said, as if a young boy going through puberty. I stopped trying to sing for a while because it felt like it was straining and maybe doing more harm. It has improved greatly now. I am still not back to where I was 100% but I can open the hymnal and sing now without feeling like everyone is wishing I would be still! And like you, it's my higher register that is bothered. Nina even had me take 2 nexium at morning and 2 at night for a while, but I have backed off that and am now down to one of a morning, when I remember. I don't want to stay on those things any longer than I need to. I'm in no way telling you NOT to go to the doctor, because if you have good insurance I would say go. I don't have good insurance and decided to choose the wait and see route and thankfully, it seems to be working out alright for me. I also put 4 inch blocks under the two legs of our bed at the headboard. I think that has helped as much as anything and I intend to leave them there.

@Svetlana Leigh, is it possible the issue is with the removal of the lap band, and not the DS per se?

That could be a possibility. I just don't know what to think. It just seems odd that I had no problems while the band was in place but once it was removed the problems started. The only reason I had it removed was because I never made it to goal weight and had actually started gaining weight again.

I made an appointment but it's not until late October. I've also started back taking Nexium along with Protonix to see if that will help.

That could be a possibility. I just don't know what to think. It just seems odd that I had no problems while the band was in place but once it was removed the problems started. The only reason I had it removed was because I never made it to goal weight and had actually started gaining weight again.
The thing is...it could have happened if you had just done the band removal and not had the DS at all.

Latest posts

Back