Vitamin HELP Please!!!!

Thanks. Could explain why I had ocult blood 3 months ago.
It also explains (one reason) why I had to have a full ureteroscopy for kidney stones and not the ESWL (shock wave) treatment originally scheduled.

The shock wave treatment CAN cause some bleeding...but heavy bleeding (because of clotting problems) can cause a mess in your kidney. I had already had a HUGE hematoma on my knee, and it needed to be surgically removed...inside a kidney, it could be a disaster.

I was in the hospital, on a gurney, IVs in my arm...and the PTT/INR tests came back and we cancelled.

It also explains (one reason) why I had to have a full ureteroscopy for kidney stones and not the ESWL (shock wave) treatment originally scheduled.

The shock wave treatment CAN cause some bleeding...but heavy bleeding (because of clotting problems) can cause a mess in your kidney. I had already had a HUGE hematoma on my knee, and it needed to be surgically removed...inside a kidney, it could be a disaster.

I was in the hospital, on a gurney, IVs in my arm...and the PTT/INR tests came back and we cancelled.
The PTT/INT was one of the labs Drawn K has me get completed prior to flying out for my revision surgery. It was good so my k must have beennin good shape as well.

The PTT/INT was one of the labs Drawn K has me get completed prior to flying out for my revision surgery. It was good so my k must have beennin good shape as well.
I was told that it is an easier, cheaper, faster way to see if there might ge a Vit K deficiency than actually testing the Vit K.

Low K would manifest with coagulation issues. In your blood work they do coag panels that indicate K problems
Yes, BUT...if you don't test for K, and just INFER it based on other labs, it will not tell you if it's at toxic levels.
DH's surgeon inferred his K...it wasn't until we moved here and had our PCP pulling his ALL his lab values that we discovered that his K was at toxic level. He has since backed off.

I was told that it is an easier, cheaper, faster way to see if there might ge a Vit K deficiency than actually testing the Vit K.
Makes sense. Several of my vitamins like a, e and K are sent to Mayo and OSF where my labs are drawn has a huge lab, so the broader screening test would be the ptt/inr and then dig deeper as why if it comes back bad.

Yes, BUT...if you don't test for K, and just INFER it based on other labs, it will not tell you if it's at toxic levels.
DH's surgeon inferred his K...it wasn't until we moved here and had our PCP pulling his ALL his lab values that we discovered that his K was at toxic level. He has since backed off.
Interesting... I am figuring out just how fucked up my absorption is. Dianas list of vites compared to mine, your DH toxic on k and my k is low, needed A injection which barely has me in a 30-75 range and Struggling to keep up E levels and others. This is starting to wear on me mentally to the point I am wondering if I will ever settle in and be relatively DS normal. :giggle:

Thanks. Could explain why I had ocult blood 3 months ago.
For the most part those guiac/occult blood tests on stool are totally false positives Scott. Mostly because of unnoticed fissures in the anal/rectum area being the culprit of the blood detection. If you really had any type of GI bleed situation going on your stool would certainly look much different and your H&H would very quickly drop

OMG, how happy am I??!! You folks were holding out on me!! I just found PETITE citracal. I'm so excited. No more horse pills!!
I endorse this sentiment. I can easily swallow two Citracal Petites in one swallow, but the bigger pills I started with (and only had like 250mg each) used to gag me.

I endorse this sentiment. I can easily swallow two Citracal Petites in one swallow, but the bigger pills I started with (and only had like 250mg each) used to gag me.
How much in these? There is 500mg in most 2 pills doses of cal citrate that I have found. The Costco brand are smaller than the target or Walmart, but now that I think of it I am pretty sure those are 600mg

Just asking to make sure you are looking carefully at the dose size and amount per dose.... It took me a little while to notice that the cal citrate dose was two pills to get 600 mg.

For the most part those guiac/occult blood tests on stool are totally false positives Scott. Mostly because of unnoticed fissures in the anal/rectum area being the culprit of the blood detection. If you really had any type of GI bleed situation going on your stool would certainly look much different and your H&H would very quickly drop
I have been anemic so yes h and h was low and more than my relative normal at that time and my fissure was repaired at time of revision by Dr K.....so there was something going on. Not major but some slow leaker ...i suspect it has something to do with my intestinal hernia. I have also had a very all ascites present on CT since being hospitalized in August. It showed up on my CT enterography in early January or late December

Stress and supplements. Just don't go there. Supplements are life and death to us OVER TIME! You can screw up every now and then. You will screw up every now and then. We all do. What you do today means nothing but what you do over a whole bunch of todays means something! Don't tear yourself up too much over what goes with what. It is much more important to just take the pills.

In the future, you will have lab results to use to tweak your intake. You will also find out if you are one of those people who need to be super vigilant. Most of us just need to take the pills.

How much in these? There is 500mg in most 2 pills doses of cal citrate that I have found. The Costco brand are smaller than the target or Walmart, but now that I think of it I am pretty sure those are 600mg

Just asking to make sure you are looking carefully at the dose size and amount per dose.... It took me a little while to notice that the cal citrate dose was two pills to get 600 mg.
There are 400 mg in two tabs. So I guess less.

Latest posts

Back