Vitamin HELP Please!!!!

Hey again, it's me Cara the question per minute girl. I'm still in the process of organizing and researching supplements. I have already bought a butt load but am not as yet on full regime cause quite honestly I'm wondering how I will be able to hold down a full time job and juggle the requirements. I think sometimes the more I read the more confusing it becomes. I have acquired a large supply of vitamin A and D3. The gelcap type but now I'm reading that I need the dry form? Do some people use either or? Should I start off with what I have and see what my first lab values are??

Look at the bottle. A and D capsules are suspended in oil. We don't absorb oil.

I take pills 4x a day. PPI when I first wake, a handful a couple hours later, another handful around dinner time and two pills right before bed. Not so bad.

I don't know why you are getting overwhelmed. I take my vitamins/supplements/meds twice a day, with my levoxyl taken in the middle of the night.

Gel caps are worthless - you can't absorb them when they are in oil.

Every four weeks, I set out four weeks worth of pills. Takes about 30 min. Then I take them.

AM every day

- 2 Citrical Maximum (630 mg elemental Ca)
- 1 500 mg orange chewable Vit C (Costco)
- 1 500 mg Magnesium Citrate (150 mg elemental Mg) (Vitalady)
- 1 Prenavite prenatal vitamin (Stuart or Ranbaxy)
- 1 50 mg Zinc caplet
- 1 Primal Defense Ultra Probiotic (Garden of Life)
- 1 40 mg Protonix
- 1 5 mg Adderall XR generic

AM - varying
Sun/Tue/Thu/Sat

- 1 Tender Dry Vit K1-1000 μg (Vitalady)
- 1 Tender Dry Vit K2-150 μg (Vitalady)

Mon/Wed/Fri
- 1 Tender Vit D3-50,000 IU (Vitalady)
- 1 Tender Vit A-25,000 IU (Vitalady)

PM every day
- 1 50 mg Zinc/2 mg Copper (Solaray)
- 1 Culturelle Probiotic
- 1 10 mg Melatonin (Nature’s Bounty)
- 1 40 mg Protonix
- 1 150 μg Levoxyl

PM – varying
Mon/Wed/Fri

- 1 Time release Niacin 250 mg (Natures’ Bounty)

Last edited:
I don't know why you are getting overwhelmed. I take my vitamins/supplements/meds twice a day, with my levoxyl taken in the middle of the night.

Every four weeks, I set out four weeks worth of pills. Takes about 30 min. Then I take them.
Yes, sorry. I know I'm a little overwhelmed right now. I'm back to work next week and just worried about how it's going to go. I know I'm going to be very busy with a physically demanding often stress filled highly unscheduled type of 12 HR shifts. I'm afraid of not being right by a bathroom or publicly shitting my scrubs or passing out of malnutrition. I'm a worrier.

You're not going to get malnourished if you don't eat for 12 hours. Malnourishment is a long-term issue. You WILL feel like crap if you don't eat some protein every 3-4 hours, because you won't be able to get your needs in over the course of a day. You need to work that out with your employer - it is something they HAVE to make reasonable accommodations for, just as they would for a type 1 diabetic, or someone with ulcerative colitis.

You'll keep an extra pair of scrub pants and underpants with you at work, just in case, and if something happens, you'll go to the restroom or locker room and clean up. Shit happens - you clean up and move on. (In 12.5 years, I've never shit myself outside of the house. At home, I've gotten careless.)

You're not going to get malnourished if you don't eat for 12 hours. Malnourishment is a long-term issue. You WILL feel like crap if you don't eat some protein every 3-4 hours, because you won't be able to get your needs in over the course of a day. You need to work that out with your employer - it is something they HAVE to make reasonable accommodations for, just as they would for a type 1 diabetic, or someone with ulcerative colitis.

You'll keep an extra pair of scrub pants and underpants with you at work, just in case, and if something happens, you'll go to the restroom or locker room and clean up. Shit happens - you clean up and move on. (In 12.5 years, I've never shit myself outside of the house. At home, I've gotten careless.)
Well another butt load of vitamins have been ordered and a big return ready for Costco tomorrow.

AM every day

- 1 Prenavite prenatal vitamin (Stuart or Ranbaxy)
- 1 50 mg Zinc caplet
- 1 Primal Defense Ultra Probiotic (Garden of Life)
- 1 40 mg Protonix
- 1 5 mg Adderall XR generic

AM - varying
Sun/Tue/Thu/Sat

- 1 Tender Dry Vit K1-1000 μg (Vitalady)
- 1 Tender Dry Vit K2-150 μg (Vitalady)

Mon/Wed/Fri
- 1 Tender Vit A-25,000 IU (Vitalady)

PM every day
- 1 50 mg Zinc/2 mg Copper (Solaray)
- 1 Culturelle Probiotic
- 1 10 mg Melatonin (Nature’s Bounty)
- 1 40 mg Protonix
- 1 150 μg Levoxyl

PM – varying
Mon/Wed/Fri

- 1 Time release Niacin 250 mg (Natures’ Bounty)
I take a much higher dose of everything you take other than k2 and Mag citrate . I don't take either..not sure I have seen Mag citrate on a lab. Is it common and something I need checked? My k reading that I get checked is listed as k1. Is there a k2 test because just ask for k and don't specify 1 or 2. The k1 is low so I am wondering if taking k2, which is more expensive I noticed, would help my k? I am not even sure what low k manifests as if low.

Everything else I take and everyday, but we know my absorption issues so makes sense I need much more.

Well another butt load of vitamins have been ordered and a big return ready for Costco tomorrow.
Did Esquerra and team not tell you that you needed dry vitamin a, d, e and K? Marshall's office sucks nutrition advice wise and don't tell people to take enough vitamins but they did at least stress in education classes that we needed dry and calcium citrate because wont absorb carbonated.

It sucks when I have been admitted hospital wise for malnutrition because the hospital pharmacy doesn't have dry vitamins and they just don't understand why I need dry forms....so I have to refuse them. I have brought my own in but then they have to check them in and take my supply so I do t like handing over $100 of vitamins over to them to lose. It really is sad how uneducated our medical community is regarding our needs. I also have to fight them to get proper nutrition. They had me NPO then liquids only when admitted for infected wound and suspected bowel perforation, even after they realized I wasn't leaking. As I explained to them I had fought so hard to maintain and then you make me worse by not giving me protein that so desperately needed...... It was such a battle. A nurse chewed me for having my bring me a chick-fil-a sandwich. I told her I am sorry if you people are so uneducated about the needs of a person who is severely malnourished and if you are ignorant to my nutritional requirements I have to take things in my own hands. She took me off liquids after that ( I was in no need of possible survgery at that point so being NPO was unnecessary). A nurse friend said well you can recover from malnutrition but they had to treat my possible surgical need.. To which I said, no Shit the perforation was more urgent and critical but once known it wasn't a leak could they not treat all my critical medical needs and not just one? I also said in my profession we can do more than one thing at a time. That pissed her off but I didn't care. We shouldn't have to receive poor healthcare that only addresses one need simply because they are ignorant.

Yeah I can be a real asshole at times. :D

You should take some magnesium with your calcium citrate to help with calcium absorption - I was told mag cit was a good form, and citrate is good for kidney stones too.

There is no test for K2 - I learned that the hard way, spending a very long time trying to get my clinical lab to test for it. I just take the same amount of K1 and K2 - 4 pills/week, which keeps my K1 in the right range.

But I didn't take any K for a long time.

For whatever reason I absorb calcium well and no problem with it or my pTh. BTW I noticed there is some in my calendar citrate from Costco as well as my mult...i am sure not much but apparently enough so far for me.

I didn't start on k until last summer. I guess I should add some K 2.

Last edited:
Did Esquerra and team not tell you that you needed dry vitamin a, d, e and K? Marshall's office sucks nutrition advice wise and don't tell people to take enough vitamins but they did at least stress in education classes that we needed dry and calcium citrate because wont absorb carbonated.

It sucks when I have been admitted hospital wise for malnutrition because the hospital pharmacy doesn't have dry vitamins and they just don't understand why I need dry forms....so I have to refuse them. I have brought my own in but then they have to check them in and take my supply so I do t like handing over $100 of vitamins over to them to lose. It really is sad how uneducated our medical community is regarding our needs. I also have to fight them to get proper nutrition. They had me NPO then liquids only when admitted for infected wound and suspected bowel perforation, even after they realized I wasn't leaking. As I explained to them I had fought so hard to maintain and then you make me worse by not giving me protein that so desperately needed...... It was such a battle. A nurse chewed me for having my bring me a chick-fil-a sandwich. I told her I am sorry if you people are so uneducated about the needs of a person who is severely malnourished and if you are ignorant to my nutritional requirements I have to take things in my own hands. She took me off liquids after that ( I was in no need of possible survgery at that point so being NPO was unnecessary). A nurse friend said well you can recover from malnutrition but they had to treat my possible surgical need.. To which I said, no Shit the perforation was more urgent and critical but once known it wasn't a leak could they not treat all my critical medical needs and not just one? I also said in my profession we can do more than one thing at a time. That pissed her off but I didn't care. We shouldn't have to receive poor healthcare that only addresses one need simply because they are ignorant.

Yeah I can be a real asshole at times. :D
I don't remember if Esquerra did much teaching at all to be honest. I got some hand outs but they are not very detailed. Although I had decided quite a while ago that the LB to RNY was not going to be the surgical choice for me I had not really gone far with exploring where and when to go for the DS. I was unexpectedly out on disability with hip osteoarthritis that had me quite crippled for a bit. I knew this was going to improve with weight loss, and I knew I wouldn't be able to go out on disability again anytime soon so I literally decided to kill two birds with the one stone so to speak since I was going to be out for 5 wks. I booked the surgery last minute and went within the week. So technically I'm only out for hip treatment. A very stressful time really and to be honest with juggling single mom, Mexican travel plans and loss of significant income, and paying out cash for surgery, I wasn't taking in much about future management. I was thinking and getting through one day at a time. I'm coming back to earth now. Hip steroids were miraculous and I'm 4 wks post op tomorrow. I'm now making plans and learning about long term management. This place has helped a lot. The diet still confuses me some though. Such a vast difference in who tolerates what. I'll get there.

I take a much higher dose of everything you take other than k2 and Mag citrate . I don't take either..not sure I have seen Mag citrate on a lab. Is it common and something I need checked? My k reading that I get checked is listed as k1. Is there a k2 test because just ask for k and don't specify 1 or 2. The k1 is low so I am wondering if taking k2, which is more expensive I noticed, would help my k? I am not even sure what low k manifests as if low.

Everything else I take and everyday, but we know my absorption issues so makes sense I need much more.
Low K would manifest with coagulation issues. In your blood work they do coag panels that indicate K problems

You found this place and it will literally save your life. The full package of good detailed education on living with the DS isn't out there other than this place.

Regarding eating all you really need to know is that protein is an absolute must have and focusing on eating protein first is the key. You can eat what ever else you want within reason as long as you are getting your polrotein in. Minimum 150.grams daily after a 3-5.mibths. eating those other things yave different effects on all of us and your get will pay the price for eating some of those things but it won't kill you. Not eating protein and supplementing properly will get you dead.

Again on vitamins it is taking all of them religiously in the long term that matters. Taking a month or two before you tolerate them and get up to a full daily regimen is perfectly fine. Early on getting in hydration is the most important. Protein and vitamins will come.

Latest posts

Back