Vitamin forms

tradav1

I see that vitamins need to be taken on a regular basis, which makes complete sense. With the inability to absorb fat, gel caps can't be taken typically because oils act as a carrier in these situations. As I have gotten older, I have found taking pills to be harder and harder. While I could crush capsules, are there liquid forms of the required vitamins or would those liquid forms also be in fat based carriers?

Thanks,
Tracey

There are liquid forms for many vitamins. I am also one of those people who has difficulty swallowing pills, but the dry D, A, and K are small capsules that are easy to swallow, even for me. For calcium citrate I use the Bariatric Advantage lozenges that you can either chew or suck on because I can't swallow those big calcium pills. Some people use pill cutters.

As I have gotten older, I have found taking pills to be harder and harder. While I could crush capsules, are there liquid forms of the required vitamins or would those liquid forms also be in fat based carriers?
Many of the ones we take come in capsules which CAN be opened and added to a small amount of food or liquid to swallow.

The only ones I can't do that to are my citracal and my multi. I also take Jarrow Bone Up calcium and it is a capsule...a big one but a capsule which can be pulled apart. Or you can do the calcium citrate chews.

As far as multi's...try a petite one. There are also patches for a few but the jury is still out on how effective they are. A couple of them, D I know for sure, is available in a injection. BUT it is expensive and don't know if your insurance would cover it.

If this isn't you don't be concerned! Lots of people have difficulties swallowing pills BUT when swallowing becomes more difficult in general it's something you may need to have checked out. If you used to be able to toss back a handful of pills and now you have problems. That kind of thing!

Latest posts

Back