Can someone simplify the vitamin requirements for DS

LindaDarnell

So my and hubby's Nutritionists gave us guidelines for vitamins, but they really seem more appropriate for VSG than DS. The only thing they really said was different was needing to take a sublingual B12, and the need for an ADEK multi. However, on the forums for DS, I see advice that says the ADEKs should be taken separately and at higher doses than those we were told. Not to mention, I just learned last night that we should probably take ours in a "dry" form versus the oil version. It made sense with malabosrption component, but it was never mentioned by the Dr's office.

So, could someone please tell me their best (and simplest) advice for daily vitamin routines for beginners. At least until the first labs are drawn post-op.

Daily vite doses and types for Iron, A, D, E, K, Calcium, B12, Multi.

Thank you kindly!

Unfortunately most surgeons provide inadequate vitamin advice. You will definitely need the A, D, and K in the dry form and separately. The ADEK's sound perfect but contain so little of each component as to be useless for us. Most people don't need E, even though it's fat soluble. Most don't need B12, which is more a gastric bypass thing than a DS thing. Some people do. I'm over 11 years post-op and still don't need any B vitamins at all (and I do get them tested every year).
I take one Costco multi daily. Other people take 2-3 multi's. Calcium should be the citrate form, not carbonate, and most of us need at least 4 doses daily, with each dose being 500 mg. These are BIG pills and each is only 250, so a dose is 2 at a time with most brands.

so you can see that there is a lot of individual variation and no one regimen that works for everyone. The good news is that your body has stores to get you through the first few weeks, so don't sweat the vitamins until you are recovered from surgery.

Ditto what @Larra said.

I still don't take ANY B vitamins at all (I get full labs drawn twice a year). My hubby had to start supplementing B12 last year even as a DSer. Some people need to.

Start with the DS list in this post http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/ but you don't need to start all of it out the gate. You can wait a few weeks (about 2) and then sneak up on the full list. Once you get post op labs drawn (and get copies for your own files), then start adjusting based on your own lab work. And use this for lab work: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/generic-ds-lab-order.191/ A good PCP would be best. My PCP pulls that list twice a year for me.

Hi! I spent hours and hours researching what I needed, what can be taken with what, dosages, etc. I'm just 5 weeks out and have been taking the attached regimen for 2 weeks now. I feel great! (See file) This is my starting... once I have labs, I know I might need to adjust.

Attachments

• DS Vitamin Regimen.pdf
    402.4 KB · Views: 33
Thank you all for your responses!! I'm trying to put this together for my hubby (and myself later) and I'm all confused!! Your advice has helped.

Do you and H have a true DS is the first question!
He does...our Dr does not offer any of the DS "alternatives". Verified that twice. I haven't had my DS yet..I'm only a VSG scheduled for the revision to a DS in a few months.

@Blackegi I'm glad to see you posting again. I was afraid you may have felt overwhelmed by all the strongly worded concern about what your surgeon is or isn't doing, and esp concerned because I'm the person who directed you here. I hope you understand that everything was said out of a genuine concern for you and your DH, and that feelings run strong here because we have seen too many people being deceived regarding what their surgeon was and wasn't doing. And often, by the time the patient figures out why their results aren't as expected, it's too late to do anything about it. It's sad that people have to be so wary, and that we can't just trust that our doctors are being completely honest and acting 100% in our best interests, but that's how it is.
If your husband has a copy of his operative report, there are people here who can privately review it for him. He can get a copy from either his surgeon or from the hospital where the surgery was done (he will need to sign a release of some sort and there may be a small copying fee). Everyone is legally entitled to their medical records. if he prefers not to have some strangers from the internet reviewing his report, we understand.

@Blackegi I'm glad to see you posting again. I was afraid you may have felt overwhelmed by all the strongly worded concern about what your surgeon is or isn't doing, and esp concerned because I'm the person who directed you here. I hope you understand that everything was said out of a genuine concern for you and your DH, and that feelings run strong here because we have seen too many people being deceived regarding what their surgeon was and wasn't doing. And often, by the time the patient figures out why their results aren't as expected, it's too late to do anything about it. It's sad that people have to be so wary, and that we can't just trust that our doctors are being completely honest and acting 100% in our best interests, but that's how it is.
If your husband has a copy of his operative report, there are people here who can privately review it for him. He can get a copy from either his surgeon or from the hospital where the surgery was done (he will need to sign a release of some sort and there may be a small copying fee). Everyone is legally entitled to their medical records. if he prefers not to have some strangers from the internet reviewing his report, we understand.
Hi Larra, No I wasn't scared off at all LOL. Just got extremely busy, especially after my husband's dehydration episode. But I certainly appreciate all of the advice. I will keep you all posted as it progresses.

Hi! I spent hours and hours researching what I needed, what can be taken with what, dosages, etc. I'm just 5 weeks out and have been taking the attached regimen for 2 weeks now. I feel great! (See file) This is my starting... once I have labs, I know I might need to adjust.
I am trying to put something together myself..So confusing my surgeons office only has me taking 10,000 D, cal citrate 1200mg, 3 multis, B12 500mcg but I think after some of the advice I have got I am going to have to start to add more.My Dr said I dont need it yet but I am kinda worried about it. When is your Dr going to draw the first labs if you dont mind me asking? Mine has told me 6 months.

Mag Citrate is basically is a laxative. Magnesium bisglycinate is a better form of magnesium for a DS patient.

Hi @Stefanie S. - I liked your simplified document, but wondered: Are you taking your Iron at breakfast with your Calcium? I thought those two together were big No-No's because one cancelled out the absorption of the other.
I personally take my iron right before bed at least 2 hours after my 3rd calcium dose. Thankfully, my iron doesn't give me an upset stomach or anything (just bad breath in my experience!). :)

Hi @Stefanie S. - I liked your simplified document, but wondered: Are you taking your Iron at breakfast with your Calcium? I thought those two together were big No-No's because one cancelled out the absorption of the other.
I personally take my iron right before bed at least 2 hours after my 3rd calcium dose. Thankfully, my iron doesn't give me an upset stomach or anything (just bad breath in my experience!). :)
Hi! I take Proferrin ES which says it does not have the same blocking effects on calcium as the others do.

Latest posts

Back