Update: Moving Forward

So I saw Dr K this morning and I am now released to go home. We had a great discussion as usual and lol I learn something new about him every time we talk.

I found out that I did have an adhesion that Doc took down during surgery. The adhesion was near my liver and it was basically a group of umbilical veins. I am doing well and my weight is up to 186.5 even though I haven't been eating a lot. We decided 200 is a good target weight for me. He is happy with my progress and said the next time I see him it should be over a glass of wine not an or table. :D

Hillary and Scott (and any others who may have info),
What is the recovery really like? I know binder will be necessary and constant. But, how much help do you need for daily stuff? How long until you can reasonably return to work? Walk standing up straight? Sleep laying down in bed? How much pain will there be and tips on managing it (he sent me away from my consult appointment with an Rx for 5/2.5 Percocet, standard dispense 30 instructions)? I do not have a very high pain tolerance any more. I used to, but not after so much seriously painful stuff over the last year and a half.
My hernia on ct scan measures at least 13 x 16 cm and I'm have a serious abdominal wall reconstruction with muscle cutting and rearranging. He is planning to place mesh below the muscle.
Any help or advice is welcomed!

TIA,
Becky

Hillary and Scott (and any others who may have info),
What is the recovery really like? I know binder will be necessary and constant. But, how much help do you need for daily stuff? How long until you can reasonably return to work? Walk standing up straight? Sleep laying down in bed? How much pain will there be and tips on managing it (he sent me away from my consult appointment with an Rx for 5/2.5 Percocet, standard dispense 30 instructions)? I do not have a very high pain tolerance any more. I used to, but not after so much seriously painful stuff over the last year and a half.
My hernia on ct scan measures at least 13 x 16 cm and I'm have a serious abdominal wall reconstruction with muscle cutting and rearranging. He is planning to place mesh below the muscle.
Any help or advice is welcomed!

TIA,
Becky
Becky I will be honest that this has been my most painful and hardest recovery by far. That being said I slept in a bed flat flat from the first night back in the hotel....surgery Tuesday and out of hospital Thursday. I would think you will need at least one day in hospital beyond that. The torridol really helped me once Dr k saw how bad that first night was for me. There had to have been serious inflammation.

I do feel like I could return to work this Monday.

The screws of the mesh into the muscle are by far the worst part and if I get gas or have to pop it hurts a lot because of pressure but otherwise it is much better now.

I definitely needed help with meals and coulfnt drive or lift anything but I was able to get in and out of bed by myself and do normal things like shower, bathroom etc on my own. First shower at hospital was hard but the Verdugo hills shower room sucks.

Bet I am a huge wimp. :D

Last edited:
Becky,

I'm not a good basis for comparison.

My procedure (abdominoplasty, hernia repair with mesh, panniculectomy) was done less than a year post c-section while I was supermorbidly obese.

The abdominal work was largely equivalent to a c-section and was a pretty easy recovery. I alternated between two bespoke binders garments for a few weeks afterward and was glad to have had them made just for me as they were no more uncomfortable than a standard corset. I probably would have been able to return to work in 3 weeks. But....

I had serious complications (deep vein thrombosis / pulmonary emboli) which nearly killed me and landed me inpatient for a month. The most painful part for me was when the blood clots filled my legs, which proved far more painful than the abdominal work.

We didn't know it then, but the DVT/PE were a known symptom of the cancer later found, so probably not a big worry for anyone else, though certainly there are risks.

Best wishes,
Hilary

ETA, I slept in a reclining chair purchased just for that purpose to be as comfortable as possible post op (until readmitted). I was glad to have that chair.

Thank you both @hilary1617 and @DSRIGGS - all this is helpful. The husband's latest worry is that I'll try to walk the dog, he'll pull the leash, and I'll "mess up" my repair(s). I gave up worrying, he does more than enough for us both.

now to find a babysitter for me and the kids while i'm laid up recovering....

Thank you both @hilary1617 and @DSRIGGS - all this is helpful. The husband's latest worry is that I'll try to walk the dog, he'll pull the leash, and I'll "mess up" my repair(s). I gave up worrying, he does more than enough for us both.

now to find a babysitter for me and the kids while i'm laid up recovering....
Best wishes and this is one where hubby is right and you will need his help. The biggest pain for me has been twisting or quick motions. As long as I stay smooth and steady without lifting or stretching too mucj, I am good.

You will do well if you take it easy for a good two weeks

I'm a dog lover and based on personal experience I would recommend hiring someone to walk the dog while you recover, unless hubby is going to do it. You won't be up to it, and will be at risk for injury should you be crazy enough to try.

Happy to hear that you're doing well!
Thanks.

We got into Peoria about 10 PM last night and it is good to back home. Traveling was much harder on me than I realized because I slept 10 hours last night and I feel like I could sleep another 10 right now. I am just resting and hanging out with my pups.

I'm happy to be in IL except in the winter and construction seasons. Wait.... ;) Glad you're here and on the mend with canine friends at your side.

Latest posts

Back