Update: Moving Forward

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
So as @Charris suggested I am starting a new thread to update and track my progress.

Presurgery Weight: 182
Postsurgery Weight: 181

I fully expect I will lose 5-8 lbs as a result of the surgery before bouncing back , but I am confident that I will head back up and beyond. Hopefully I settle in around 190 as I feel that is a good weight for me and I plan to gain muscle back.

Surgery on May, 24 to repair hernia and insert mesh for reinforcement.
Spent two days in the hospital.

Vitamin A & D injections on the 23rd.

I am sore but Dr K says I look good and is very happy with where I am at battling from malnutrition and through what he says is a more difficult procedure as far as recovery than a standard DS or revision CD. He believes this procedure went very well and will work well for me. I hate wearing the binder with the rolled up gauze that goes under binder where hernia was at. This puts pressure on the site and helps healing/adhesion of abdomen wall to the mesh. It is necessary but I wear for a few hours and then take a breather as it makes my gut hurt.

I am confident that this surgery was a good move and that it is my path back to good health and feeling better.

Thank you all for your support.

Oh I forgot to add and I just saw again as I was reviewing my visit summary on the USC portal, it says I have cancer of the prostate. Lol nice of them to notify me this way. Obviously as a male who turns 50 on June 11th I need to have my prostate checked out because I am sure it is enlarged as urination isn't perfect anymore, but I doubt I have prostate cancer at my age. Yes my father had prostate cancer but he is 75. I will see a urologist as Dr k suggested but I am sure it is just good old guy stuff where the prostate gets larger as we age.

Unless they did a PSA test AND biopsy, I'm guessing that someone who took your history misunderstood your report of your family Hx of your dad's PC as your reporting that as your diagnosis.​

Unless they did a PSA test AND biopsy, I'm guessing that someone who took your history misunderstood your report of your family Hx of your dad's PC as your reporting that as your diagnosis.​
Yeah no doubt a screw up from my history on medical condition form. I had a TURP in 2001 so they probably input the wrong code or dx in their system. There was no testing at all. I just found it kind of funny, that being said it is time fir a PSA and urologist visit. I will get prostate cancer at some point in my life I am sure, but hopefully not at 50.

I will get prostate cancer at some point in my life I am sure, but hopefully not at 50.
Just because your dad did, doesn't mean you will. You just need to be extra careful.

Glad to see you didn't lose as much as feared. I've never dealt with a binder but I have dealt with a back brace. I know that was no fun...the binder doesn't sound fun either just a necessary evil.

I was only out of the hospital a day when that weight reading was taken so I doubt that I have pissed out all the fluid yet. I expect to drop another 5 pounds but that is not a problem as I knee I am going to rebound and be healthier.

The reason I said that will get prostate cancer is that according to Dr k your chance of contracting prostate cancer s roughly equal to one's age....so every year older I get the probability gets higher. I so not worried as it is very treatable.

This my first time with a binder and it is mainly to push the mesh and tissue together to prevent a fluid build up and to help that mesh/skin "becoming one process". It isn't horrible but is somewhat annoying and like you say, a necessary evil for a few weeks,

Hi Scott,

Hang in there.

Just to keep on file if ever needed, my now 85 year old dad had prostate cancer in his mid 70's and travelled to RCOG in Atlanta, GA, where they used radioactive seeds that preserved his er, functionality. Also, unlike many of his peers, he doesn't wake to urinate and doesn't suffer any urinary incontinence.

ETA: I wore a binder after my first hernia repair / abdominoplasty / panniculectomy. No fun. Honestly, though it didn't feel much different from the corsets I and other women voluntarily have worn to make our waistlines appear smaller than usual. Hoping you can a least get a chuckle out of thinking of this as your Scarlett O'Hara moment. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

Hang in there.

Just to keep on file if ever needed, my now 85 year old dad had prostate cancer in his mid 70's and travelled to RCOG in Atlanta, GA, where they used radioactive seeds that preserved his er, functionality. Also, unlike many of his peers, he doesn't wake to urinate and doesn't suffer any urinary incontinence.
Thanks Hilary

oh Scott honey, I am glad you are making progress and lord help, I hope this is it for a while. prostate CA, wtf - It drives me crazy that medical folks are not more careful entering this stuff. In this day of EHRs that shite stays with you and you can talk to your blue in the face and those same crazy medical folks are still going to believe the EHR. <sigh>
All that aside, freakin' feel better will you please!

ETA: I wore a binder after my first hernia repair / abdominoplasty / panniculectomy. No fun. Honestly, though it didn't feel not much different from the corsets I and other women voluntarily have worn to make our waistlines appear smaller than usual. Hoping you can a least get a chuckle out of thinking of this as your Scarlett O'Hara moment.
See, I never voluntarily wore a corset!

Now the back brace was bad enough, had to be pulled pretty tight, set it at just the right place and was hard plastic...for the first 4 weeks, only time I was allowed out of it was in the shower.

Hi Scott,

Hang in there.

ETA: I wore a binder after my first hernia repair / abdominoplasty / panniculectomy. No fun. Honestly, though it didn't feel not much different from the corsets I and other women voluntarily have worn to make our waistlines appear smaller than usual. Hoping you can a least get a chuckle out of thinking of this as your Scarlett O'Hara moment. ;)

Hilary you waist train.....I do also....

So as @Charris suggested I am starting a new thread to update and track my progress.

Presurgery Weight: 182
Postsurgery Weight: 181

I fully expect I will lose 5-8 lbs as a result of the surgery before bouncing back , but I am confident that I will head back up and beyond. Hopefully I settle in around 190 as I feel that is a good weight for me and I plan to gain muscle back.

Surgery on May, 24 to repair hernia and insert mesh for reinforcement.
Spent two days in the hospital.

Vitamin A & D injections on the 23rd.

I am sore but Dr K says I look good and is very happy with where I am at battling from malnutrition and through what he says is a more difficult procedure as far as recovery than a standard DS or revision CD. He believes this procedure went very well and will work well for me. I hate wearing the binder with the rolled up gauze that goes under binder where hernia was at. This puts pressure on the site and helps healing/adhesion of abdomen wall to the mesh. It is necessary but I wear for a few hours and then take a breather as it makes my gut hurt.

I am confident that this surgery was a good move and that it is my path back to good health and feeling better.

Thank you all for your support.

You had your surgery!! I hope your pain will be gone soon. A binder is easy, wear it. I used one for my LBL. Glad you are doing ok....

You had your surgery!! I hope your pain will be gone soon. A binder is easy, wear it. I used one for my LBL. Glad you are doing ok....
The bad part of the binder is the big roll of gauze Dr k wants where the hernia was to put pressure on the tissue into the mesh. That hurts so I do it for several hours then take a break wearing binder without the gauze roll

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back