(UP-Updated with test results). Vitamin D Confession...

UPDATE...I went along with the new PCP because I really like her and because she agreed to retest me in a month.

Test results are in and my lousy Vitamin D, which was below range at 21.7, is now down to 20.

I went back on my Dry D today. I will go to either 100k or 150k IUs plus, probably 50k to 75 k of Dry A (not sure here...I don't usually take that much) as a chaser...unless someone has a better suggestion.

But how MUCH calcium is needed in the gut? Could we get enough for that from the food we eat?
I'm not taking any oral calcium anymore..unless there's some in my multi or whatever because I couldn't successfully combat the constipation.
I'm doing the D plus calcium patch only for calcium. I'll be getting my 3 month labs drawn at the end of the month...that will only really be about 6 weeks or so of being on the patches but I'll see where I am with it then. My pre-patch results for a baseline of my calcium were fantastic.
So far, everyone who's been testing them out and posting their results on the patch fb page have done well with them...there's not a whole lot of results posted yet though.
But it has been encouraging.

There's a long, scientific, Diana-caliber answer I will never comprehend down below. I read in a book about kidney stones that the calcium needs to be physically present in the gut, not just in the blood. "Official" explanation:

Problems also occur when insufficient calcium is available to bind oxalate in the small intestine. For instance certain types of bowel disease (e.g., gastric bypass, rapid intestinal transit, or problems with insufficient bile and/or pancreatic secretions that help digest fat) cause fat malabsorption. Fat gobbles up calcium and creates a “soap” similar to the soapy film that occurs when you wash your hands in hard water. Consequently, calcium is unavailable to bind oxalate. Therefore, excess oxalate is absorbed (because it’s unbound) in the large intestine and excreted in the urine. This scenario often leads to calcium oxalate stone formation.

So...if we don't get tons of calcium into our guts, we will never get enough into our blood for our bodies to function properly.

I think.

@DianaCox ...is this correct?
Not quite:

"So...if we don't get tons of sufficient calcium into our guts to bind to the oxalate from our diet, and therefore prevent our guts from allowing the oxalate from being absorbed into the blood, we will never get enough absorb oxalate into our blood, forcing for our kidneys bodies to have to excrete the excess oxalate, potentially leading to kidney stones function properly."

UPDATE...I went along with the new PCP because I really like her and because she agreed to retest me in a month.

Test results are in and my lousy Vitamin D, which was below range at 21.7, is now down to 20.

I went back on my Dry D today. I will go to either 100k or 150k IUs plus, probably 50k to 75 k of Dry A (not sure here...I don't usually take that much) as a chaser...unless someone has a better suggestion.

Did you tell her...neener neener I told ya so!
No clue about the A...but I'd go to 150k on the D since you're so low and you'll be tested again in a month. Can't hurt! How much of the D were you taking before you tried her experiment?

But how MUCH calcium is needed in the gut? Could we get enough for that from the food we eat?
I'm not taking any oral calcium anymore..unless there's some in my multi or whatever because I couldn't successfully combat the constipation.
I'm doing the D plus calcium patch only for calcium. I'll be getting my 3 month labs drawn at the end of the month...that will only really be about 6 weeks or so of being on the patches but I'll see where I am with it then. My pre-patch results for a baseline of my calcium were fantastic.
So far, everyone who's been testing them out and posting their results on the patch fb page have done well with them...there's not a whole lot of results posted yet though.
You need to figure out another way to deal with constipation. You MUST have calcium in your diet, both for absorption and to bind to oxalate. Look into Miralax, magnesium oxide and other ways - not taking oral calcium is not, in my opinion, a viable option.

Not quite:

"So...if we don't get tons of sufficient calcium into our guts to bind to the oxalate from our diet, and therefore prevent our guts from allowing the oxalate from being absorbed into the blood, we will never get enough absorb oxalate into our blood, forcing for our kidneys bodies to have to excrete the excess oxalate, potentially leading to kidney stones function properly."
But the thought counts, kinda.

Did you tell her...neener neener I told ya so!
No clue about the A...but I'd go to 150k on the D since you're so low and you'll be tested again in a month. Can't hurt! How much of the D were you taking before you tried her experiment?

We have a follow-up appointment on the 24th, but I just checked my own lab results online and made an executive decision.

You need to figure out another way to deal with constipation. You MUST have calcium in your diet, both for absorption and to bind to oxalate. Look into Miralax, magnesium oxide and other ways - not taking oral calcium is not, in my opinion, a viable option.

Damn! I take two full doses of Miralax; 2,500 MG magnesium oxide (5 tablets); 400 MG Magnesium citrate (2 caplets); 6 stool softeners; 6 Natural psyllium fiber capsules; 4 tablespoons of chia seeds and 2 Vitafusion Fiber Well gummies every single day! That is two gummies, two doses of Miralax, four tablespoons of chia seeds and 21 pills just to shit!!!

Last edited:
Damn! I take two full doses of Miralax; 2,500 MG magnesium oxide(5 tablests); 400 MG Magnesium citrate(2 caplets); 6 stool softeners; 6 Natural psyllium fiber capsules; 4 tablespoons of chia seeds and 2 Vitafusion Fiber Well gummies every single day! That is two gummies, two doses of Miralax, four tablespoons of chia seeds and 21 pills just to shit!!!

I wasn't far behind you...I was taking 9 stool softeners everyday and 2 mag ox with each dose of calcium. I tried miralax for a few days as well. I worked on upping my fat. Nothing was working at all...I had to resort to laxatives and enemas to go..and it took 3-4 days of doing both repeatedly to finally get cleaned out. It was miserable!
Since I stopped taking the calcium, I've been going regularly every morning...which I've never done before in my life.
I'm happy on the poop front finally!!
Yes, I'm worried about the calcium though.

You made my blood run cold with this. You just gotta take it!
I just had my 7 year labs, and I take LOADS of calcium to help prevent kidney stones, and despite that, I still have high PTH, which means the parathyroid thinks there is not enough calcium coming in, so it's likely taking it from other places in my body to keep that calcium level up in my blood. No bueno for those of us that are fond of having skeletons.

So, you may have labs telling you that your calcium is OK, but look at your pth for a better idea, and if it's high then TAKE YOUR CALCIUM (and likely more D, and K)!

Now that I got my little nag in, I will point out that there are other forms calcium that are less constipating, although most of them are more expensive than calcium citrate. Some may also be more effective for us, to the cost may be justified, some maybe not.

You made my blood run cold with this. You just gotta take it!
I just had my 7 year labs, and I take LOADS of calcium to help prevent kidney stones, and despite that, I still have high PTH, which means the parathyroid thinks there is not enough calcium coming in, so it's likely taking it from other places in my body to keep that calcium level up in my blood. No bueno for those of us that are fond of having skeletons.

So, you may have labs telling you that your calcium is OK, but look at your pth for a better idea, and if it's high then TAKE YOUR CALCIUM (and likely more D, and K)!

Now that I got my little nag in, I will point out that there are other forms calcium that are less constipating, although most of them are more expensive than calcium citrate. Some may also be more effective for us, to the cost may be justified, some maybe not.

....I will point out that there are other forms calcium that are less constipating, although most of them are more expensive than calcium citrate. Some may also be more effective for us, to the cost may be justified, some maybe not...

And they are _________________ (fill in the blank.)

Good God! I thought I had trouble with constipation! You 2 need to do something or you are going to be shitting just fine from a wheelchair. How much liquid are you getting in a day? I HAVE to get at least 120 ounces but I usually get more. @newanatomoy , I think you are taking TOO much fiber. Too much will clog up everything.

Different types of calcium that don't cause constipation: (so I have heard, no personal experience because I have mine under control)
calcium hydroxyapatite
Liquid calcium citrate
Upcal D powder

Hopefully, bearmom will be back with other suggestions.

I used to experiment with different sorts of calcium, but have been just sticking with cal cit (citrical), and think it's time to try some of the other sources again. I've had good results with liquid cal cit, but fizzled on it because it tastes so effin gross (but PTH and kidney stones are my issue, not constipation).

The first type I would try to avoid constipation would be microcrystalline hydroxyapatite (I've seen it as both MCHC and MCHA, or just hydroxyapatite), and then maybe cal bisglycinate, glycinate or apatite. I also like citrate malate (ccm) but would probably try it last if trying to figure out constipation issues.

I'm sure you know, but make sure you are getting enough magnesium with the calcium, as that can help too.

Good God! I thought I had trouble with constipation! You 2 need to do something or you are going to be shitting just fine from a wheelchair. How much liquid are you getting in a day? I HAVE to get at least 120 ounces but I usually get more. @newanatomoy , I think you are taking TOO much fiber. Too much will clog up everything.

Different types of calcium that don't cause constipation: (so I have heard, no personal experience because I have mine under control)
calcium hydroxyapatite
Liquid calcium citrate
Upcal D powder

What she said....and @star0210 and @newanatomy...I know you both KNOW this, but it might be time to consider this for a moment...your goal...we hope...is HEALTH...and some of us old timers have seen people do very well at losing weight and then die, or at least get very, very sick while, as the whole thing was happening, being quite happy at their progress with weight loss.

So if both of you need THAT MUCH HELP trying to maintain healthy calcium levels AND taking a shit, for Chrissakes,take your calcium and eat something "bad" once in a while, if that will help, before you really destroy your southern hemispheres.

calcium hydroxyapatite
Liquid calcium citrate
Upcal D powder

Shales, I just switched over to Upcal D. I've not had solid stool in years and it's solidifying. I also started cramping and I slowed on taking it thinking I need to give my body time to adjust and taper up. I'm wondering if I'm blaming the Upcal for the changes and it's something else I'm doing.

Just a note: DS lesson #543 When driving, do not try to take Upcal D powder. The powder can become airborne and you can breathe it in and choke miserably. Always be stationary and pay attention to your breathing...for the love of heaven, don't inhale!

I don't feel it mixes well but it tastes good enough to just put on my tongue ;)

Latest posts

Back