(UP-Updated with test results). Vitamin D Confession...

Good God! I thought I had trouble with constipation! You 2 need to do something or you are going to be shitting just fine from a wheelchair. How much liquid are you getting in a day? I HAVE to get at least 120 ounces but I usually get more. @newanatomoy , I think you are taking TOO much fiber. Too much will clog up everything.

Different types of calcium that don't cause constipation: (so I have heard, no personal experience because I have mine under control)
calcium hydroxyapatite
Liquid calcium citrate
Upcal D powder

Hopefully, bearmom will be back with other suggestions.

Good to see you here!!

I am getting all of my required calcium citrate. I was hoping to get it from the patch to avoid the constipation issues. I have never stopped taking my calcium citrate, I have just tried to combat constipation. I am only getting 25 grams of fiber a day, the recommended amount for an adult woman. I need the fiber, otherwise I was pooping pebbles all day long, very annoying! Fiber helps get it together. It is also a prebiotic, good for the gut. I drink tons! I stop counting at 64 ounces but, I drink all day long. I will look into the other calcium options.

You made my blood run cold with this. You just gotta take it!
I just had my 7 year labs, and I take LOADS of calcium to help prevent kidney stones, and despite that, I still have high PTH, which means the parathyroid thinks there is not enough calcium coming in, so it's likely taking it from other places in my body to keep that calcium level up in my blood. No bueno for those of us that are fond of having skeletons.

So, you may have labs telling you that your calcium is OK, but look at your pth for a better idea, and if it's high then TAKE YOUR CALCIUM (and likely more D, and K)!

Now that I got my little nag in, I will point out that there are other forms calcium that are less constipating, although most of them are more expensive than calcium citrate. Some may also be more effective for us, to the cost may be justified, some maybe not.

I had my PTH run and a few other things before starting on the patches. It was fabulously low and my D was up to over 100.
That's why I felt safe giving the patches a try and stopping the oral calcium completely. If the patches don't work, I'll have to figure something out.

So, Vit D follow-up appt this morning.

Dr.--So originally, this appt was for follow-up on the Vitamin D question.
Me--Yeah...I went online, downloaded results, saw that it had dropped.
Dr.--But you DID humor me and try it, even though you know it wasn't going to work.
Me--That's because I like you and understood why you felt I needed to try the prescription...and because you agreed to a one-month follow-up test.
Dr.--Tell me again what we are going to be using, brand name, dosage...because CLEARLY, MY plan didn't work.

Latest posts

Back