Three Probiotics Questions

I went to the supermarket. It seems like all the Greek yogurt brands I looked at all contained active live cultures - the Siggi's, Chobani, Tillamook, the store brand. Sometimes it say "Live Active Cultures." Sometimes "Live and Active Cultures." Is there any difference between those tow terms? Does it really matter what brand of Greek I buy as along as it has the cultures?
I think you need to see what the strains are in each one and then look at protein and carb count, as well as flavor to see which one best fits your needs. I like the siggi's because of the protein count and the vanilla flavor with low carbs.

OK, one per day. How will I know if I need to increase? What are the signals?
Don't be surprised if you don't have discimport for a week or two when you start because there is a mini war going on in there. My PDU is supposed to be 3 a day but I just take one a day. To me 3 a day makes no sense to do more of the same thing. Taking a different strain at night makes sense to get other strains in the gut. That is why I started the good active culture yogurts.

Don't be surprised if you don't have discimport for a week or two when you start because there is a mini war going on in there. My PDU is supposed to be 3 a day but I just take one a day. To me 3 a day makes no sense to do more of the same thing. Taking a different strain at night makes sense to get other strains in the gut. That is why I started the good active culture yogurts.

I started a few days ago with the Jarrow S. Boullardi. No problems so far and I've noticed the gas smell is a lot better BUT it I've also noticed my constipation is increasing. Is that going to settle down after a couple of weeks? That could be a deal breaker....

I started a few days ago with the Jarrow S. Boullardi. No problems so far and I've noticed the gas smell is a lot better BUT it I've also noticed my constipation is increasing. Is that going to settle down after a couple of weeks? That could be a deal breaker....
Yeah it should

I had a dental infection a couple years ago and the doc suggested I take probiotics and wrote me a prescription. Strange for a dentist to do this but OK. I took them. Didn't do much of anything that I could tell but I didn't get diarrhea from the antibiotics either. Since the, I have tried them a couple times and they didn't do anything for me so I figured why pay for them and stopped.

I had a dental infection a couple years ago and the doc suggested I take probiotics and wrote me a prescription. Strange for a dentist to do this but OK. I took them. Didn't do much of anything that I could tell but I didn't get diarrhea from the antibiotics either. Since the, I have tried them a couple times and they didn't do anything for me so I figured why pay for them and stopped.

I'm generally of the same mind when it comes to $, but so far they have reduced the gas smell substantially. That alone is worth $5/month! Also, there are a lot of strains and potencies so I think it's tricky to find just the right one. Having said that, I'm generally suspicious of a lot of supplements because they can make any claim they want and none of it has to be proven to the FDA. Right now, Probiotics are the big. We'll see with time.

I eat a lot of yogurt but have never taken probiotics, since I've switched to Upcal D I'm having more constipation issues. Would a probiotic help with constipation? I'm up to 5 stool softeners and increased fat and still not quite right. Any suggestions?

I eat a lot of yogurt but have never taken probiotics, since I've switched to Upcal D I'm having more constipation issues. Would a probiotic help with constipation? I'm up to 5 stool softeners and increased fat and still not quite right. Any suggestions?
How much increased fat?

How much increased fat?
I'm not sure of the amount of fat but have added a cheesecake daily to my diet and have been eating a couple Krispy Creme filled donuts. I'm pretty liberal with butter in general since I have the constipation problem, in the past I used Vita lady's calcium. I also take 4 of her magnesium daily. I have her calcium on order but it may be awhile before they come in. My doctor wants me on 3,000 mg of Upcal D for my low calcium levels. I go daily but it's not easy like I'm use to and not quite empty like before.

Suggestions on additional fat?

I'm not sure of the amount of fat but have added a cheesecake daily to my diet and have been eating a couple Krispy Creme filled donuts. I'm pretty liberal with butter in general since I have the constipation problem, in the past I used Vita lady's calcium. I also take 4 of her magnesium daily. I have her calcium on order but it may be awhile before they come in. My doctor wants me on 3,000 mg of Upcal D for my low calcium levels. I go daily but it's not easy like I'm use to and not quite empty like before.

Suggestions on additional fat?
Are you drinking coffee? If so maybe butter coffee?
Avocado?
Full fat mayo, sour cream, yogurt.

As far as calcium...maybe change brands or even types. Many of us use Jarrow's Bone UP to help avoid constipation. I haven't switch over to the Bone Up completely but it does seem to help. I'm not eating AS much fat as I was before I switched (one butter coffee in the morning instead of two) and still have no trouble going. Bone Up is not an calcium citrate. It's a hydroxyapatite. I've been using it for almost 2 years now.

Are you drinking coffee? If so maybe butter coffee?
Avocado?
Full fat mayo, sour cream, yogurt.

As far as calcium...maybe change brands or even types. Many of us use Jarrow's Bone UP to help avoid constipation. I haven't switch over to the Bone Up completely but it does seem to help. I'm not eating AS much fat as I was before I switched (one butter coffee in the morning instead of two) and still have no trouble going. Bone Up is not an calcium citrate. It's a hydroxyapatite. I've been using it for almost 2 years now.

I do drink a couple cups of coffee with cream in the morning, I'll do a search on the butter coffee. I also drink almost a quart of natural whole milk daily from a local dairy farm and eat cottage cheese daily.

I'll order some of the Bone Up and mix it up with the Upcal D. I also upped my Proferrin from one to two in the last month, that might not have been wise but I didn't think it caused constipation.

I do drink a couple cups of coffee with cream in the morning, I'll do a search on the butter coffee. I also drink almost a quart of natural whole milk daily from a local dairy farm and eat cottage cheese daily.
All I do is add real butter, preferably grass fed, to my coffee. Make sure you add it before cooling it off with creamer and stir a LOT.

In my experience the Calcium is what causes the constipation. I just started taking probiotics and they have actually made the constipation worse. I've been told that should be a temporary effect until they settle in my system so I'll give it the college try before discontinuing.

Stool softeners help a little but Miralax works best. There's some debate on whether it's OK for long-term use, but it's fine if you want to use it for a while. Then taper off it as you can.

Latest posts

Back