Three Probiotics Questions

The siggi's vanilla is really good but the fruit flavored mixes taste like freaking sweaty sweat socks smell. LOL

I take 2 different probiotics (sometimes I change brands or variety, but always 2 different ones a day), since different strains target different things. I specifically take 2- one that may help with high oxalates which contribute to my kidney stones and one that can help prevent c-diff. There is a definite benefit as far as gas and poop smell when taking them as well.

In fact, there are new studies coming out all the time that link certain gut flora to beneficial things (hopefully the ones we supplement) and conversely an overgrowth of bad flora to negative heath issues (inflammation is one I'm concerned about, and ironically obesity). With supplements and fermented foods I try to keep a plethora of the "good guys" in my gut and not let any of the really bad stuff proliferate.

I take a RX strength probiotic at 900 billion CFU /sachet. take it everyday with one of my 2 yogurts can't imagine going back to what it was before, gas and bloating, I have been taking it for many years.....

I take a RX strength probiotic at 900 billion CFU /sachet. take it everyday with one of my 2 yogurts can't imagine going back to what it was before, gas and bloating, I have been taking it for many years.....
I'm guessing the rx one is VSL3-DS? That is one of the 2 I always take, because it has a culture that is as close to O formigene (that supposedly helps with oxalates but cannot be purchased). I'm pretty fart free despite my lack of careful eating, and give credit to the probiotics.

Is this the one for s. boulardi? if so, how many would you take a day?

BTW, The VSL3 is really pricey!

81LzmMMC2%2BL._SY679_.jpg

I'm guessing the rx one is VSL3-DS? That is one of the 2 I always take, because it has a culture that is as close to O formigene (that supposedly helps with oxalates but cannot be purchased). I'm pretty fart free despite my lack of careful eating, and give credit to the probiotics.

yes it is, that is the only probiotic I have ever taken.....it is amazing....

Is this the one for s. boulardi? if so, how many would you take a day?

BTW, The VSL3 is really pricey!

81LzmMMC2%2BL._SY679_.jpg
S boulardii is one of the bacteria strains that we try to introduce, like some of the lactobacillis strains. I wish there were a checklist of which strains help which things (like s boulardii supposedly helps with diarrhea) but till they do more studies, there's much we don't know.

eww that is soooooo gross, I'll stick with chobani thank you
Oh the vanilla us delicious and in my opinion a million times better than Chobani. I like very thick yogurt and why I like Greek yogurt and not the garbage stuff we has for years. Chobani is too runny and sweet for my tastes. The Siggi's vanilla is thick and not fake sweet tasting. Sweet but very good. You could easily add your own fruit rather than the jelly they call fruit in most yogurts. I eat the vanilla plain but a girl I know said she eats it with crushed almonds and it was awesome when I trued. Fresh peaches or strawberries would be absolutely delucioys.....but yeah the siggis mixed is almost blue cheese type tart tasting.

S boulardii is one of the bacteria strains that we try to introduce, like some of the lactobacillis strains. I wish there were a checklist of which strains help which things (like s boulardii supposedly helps with diarrhea) but till they do more studies, there's much we don't know.
I agree about the list. There the boulardI is a key one and there are couple more. I need to check my messages to see which strains David said were also very good.

There really is a lot of evidence popping up showing help with everything from typical gut issues to mental health. I am glad I got on board finally.

I went to the supermarket. It seems like all the Greek yogurt brands I looked at all contained active live cultures - the Siggi's, Chobani, Tillamook, the store brand. Sometimes it say "Live Active Cultures." Sometimes "Live and Active Cultures." Is there any difference between those tow terms? Does it really matter what brand of Greek I buy as along as it has the cultures?

BTW I eat Dannon Light and Fit Greek with live active cultures stated on the label. They came out with a special limited edition flavor of Lemon Merengue -- and no where on the label does it say live active cultures. So I guess one has to check every flavor.

BTW I eat Dannon Light and Fit Greek with live active cultures stated on the label. They came out with a special limited edition flavor of Lemon Merengue -- and no where on the label does it say live active cultures. So I guess one has to check every flavor.
Yeah i have fiund that a good many of the blends aren't active cultures. The way I look at it doesn't hurt to eat those if not going specifically for the probiotic buy. They still have good protein.

Latest posts

Back