This year's annual labs

I don't know how to interpret those niacin levels, but I do know that tryptophan can be converted to niacin so if you are eating over 100 grams of protein a day, you may be ok.

I bought some slow release niacin, but couldn't find copper at Walgreens or the supermarket. Where do you all buy your copper?

Hmmm ... I see at least one brand is sold as copper PLUS zinc:
213FEQGVYEL._AA160_.jpg

But I've been warned about the interaction between copper and zinc - but I'm trying to figure out whether zinc interferes with absorption (the dosage of that product is 50 mg zinc/2 mg copper, so I think it would be just right). It is $9.19/100, and I would take 2/day

Product Description
Zinc and copper share similar functions into he body, Both minerals are necessary for the development of the enzyme superoxide dismutase, an important antioxidant. A proper zinc copper ratio is also important for the healthy lipoprotein and cholesterol levels. The zinc and copper amino acid chelate in this product are derived from whole rice concentrate rather than ordinary soy, yeast or whole milk which are commonly chelate minerals.

I have been taking 50 mg zinc twice a day for years. And now I see this paper:
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/40/4/743.full.pdf
"Other human studies have indicated that dietary Zn/Cu ratios of greater than 10:1 can produce an impact on copper nutriture (16). Zinc supplementation therapy with megadoses of up to 5 g/day (17), as well as smaller amounts of 150 mg/day, taken for 1 to 2 yr (4), have produced copper deficiency anemia. In view of these results, the potential for high intakes of zinc having a detrimental effect on the copper status must be considered."​

I'm thinking if it makes sense to TAKE them together, I might as well take a combo, rather than separate zinc and copper, since the dosages appear correct, and wouldn't add any extra pill. DOES ANYONE TAKE THIS PRODUCT? Any comments?

Cant presume or believe I’m even attempting to tell you guys anything or give advice, (must not be a newbie anymore)….Lol!...and I’m sure you already know this…but, you’re supposed to take your copper with your iron and “C” all together and I do mine either in the middle of the night or at first morning. Not sure if zinc complicates that or not?? According to your info, it looks ok to do it.

I don't take iron (except what's in my prenatal) and I take vitamin C with both of my doses of meds. I'm thinking what I'll do is buy the zinc/copper pills (2 mg copper), and use them in the AM, and take a straight zinc at night - I don't know how much copper I need, so I'll see how that works for a few months, and if necessary, up the dose to using the zinc/copper combo for both doses.

Bottom line (I made up my next 4 weeks of pills last night):

Adding 3 vitamin A's per week - MWF in the AM
Adding 3 slow release niacins per week - MWF in the PM
Ordered the Solaray zinc + copper (50 mg/2 mg) - it will arrive on Tuesday, and I will be taking one of them instead of my morning 50 mg zinc.
I will find SOME sort of protein supplement to get down, because I've been sort of blase' about my usual protein snacks lately, and it showed:
  • I hear the Unjury chicken soup is tolerable - I'm going to try some (I can't STAND sweet supplements)
  • Alternatively, or in addition, I bought some capucchino protein drinks from Costco a couple of months ago that are a bit too sweet, but not terrible - I might try to figure a way to get them down too (in coffee as a sweetener? add seltzer water like a weird egg cream?)

I will then retest vit A, niacin, copper and protein in a couple of months.

And that, my newbie friends, is how you do it - religiously test, review levels AND TRENDS, and then adjust as needed. It's not that hard, but it is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT!

UPDATE.

So after I got my labs back, with the noted deficiencies, I added the following to my regimen, and just retested, with the following results:

• Niacin (Vit B3*):
    • July: <20
    • October: 77
    • My nicotinamide was still <20, but I assume that's OK.
  • Copper: (Copper, Serum 70 - 175 ug/dL (Normal range))
    • July: 61
    • October: 125
  • Protein: (Total protein: 6.4 - 8.2 g/dL)
    • July: 6.3
    • October: 6.7
  • Albumin: (3.2 - 4.7 g/dL)
    • July: 3.7
    • October: 3.8
  • Prealbumin: (18.0 - 35.7 mg/dL)
    • July: ? Not measured
    • October: 27.4
And dammit, I forgot about measuring the Vitamin A level! I'll have to get that added for my next trip to the doctor. But I got everything else back in range, and I assume my vitamin A is now too, since it was only marginally low in the first place.

* Niacin: serum concentrations may range from less than 20 ng/mL to about 30,000 ng/mL. After oral administration of an immediate-release tablet, peak plasma concentrations occur in 4 to 5 hours. The plasma half-life of nicotinic acid is about one hour. In one study, fasting plasma
concentrations were reported to be less than 20 ng/mL. In another study, it was reported that the administration of a single 1000 mg extended-release tablet resulted in mean nicotinic acid concentrations of less than 50 ng/mL.

Just putting this here. Added 3 Vit As/week in August (note: added to the regimen of not taking ANY - the only time I ever took A before was in late 2009 when I had my one plastic surgery), and got everything back in mid-range:

Vitamin A (Retinol)
Standard Range
38 - 98 ug/dL
6/30/09
10/9/09 12/17/09 7/6/10 7/19/11 7/6/12 7/16/13 7/18/14 7/9/15 12/10/15 ... 55 .......... 40 ......... 73 ......... 67 ......... 63 ........ 78 ....... 48 ......... 49 ........ 44 .......... 67

Just putting this here. Added 3 Vit As/week in August (note: added to the regimen of not taking ANY - the only time I ever took A before was in late 2009 when I had my one plastic surgery), and got everything back in mid-range:

Vitamin A (Retinol)
Standard Range
38 - 98 ug/dL
6/30/09
10/9/09 12/17/09 7/6/10 7/19/11 7/6/12 7/16/13 7/18/14 7/9/15 12/10/15 ... 55 .......... 40 ......... 73 ......... 67 ......... 63 ........ 78 ....... 48 ......... 49 ........ 44 .......... 67
Wow 3 a week as in one 25,000 A capsule 3 times a week? I take 6 a day and am at 28

Latest posts

Back