This pre-op liquid diet has already sucked all the excitement out of me.

@Jen-2 keep strong. You are just about at the prize. You don't want to do anything that might delay surgery. That would be awful. Keep posting so we can help you through it.

Oh man, so not looking forward to this. :( I get to start Optifast 3 weeks before surgery. :( 3-4 Optifast meal replacement items (shakes, soups, or bars) per day, plus one serving of fruit if I want it, plus 2c low carb green veggies.

I mean, this kind of thing is hell for anybody, but the larger you are the more calories your body requires to just function, so this is going to be insane for me. :(

HANG IN THERE, JEN. You can do it. As others have said - this is the last time you'll have to play their little games.

@more2adore, if I were in your shoes, I'd add one or possible two 2-3 oz. servings of lean meat to that plan and consider leaving out the fruit entirely. You'll have more stable blood sugars if you don't provoke them with carby stuff like fruit, and that will help a tiny bit with hunger.

The NUT said that if by day 4 I was still feeling AWFUL, to give her a call and she'd make recommendations for something else.. I'm kind of curious if lean meat is what she'll recommend adding. I'm a big fan of pre-sliced chicken breast, canned tuna (yes, even just by itself), etc. so I could probably add a little of that in everyday without issue. :)

5 days down. Starting day 6. I'm down 6.6 pounds!

I have a constant headache but w migraine medicine and replacing a shake w a little protein for one meal I can at least function. The 3-4 oz of protein helped immensely. For the second week I'm going to try to just do the 3 shakes as the Dr. wants. We'll see how it goes. I'm drinking 60+ oz of water in addition to the shakes and going to bed early to avoid the hunger.

I now see why starvation is an effective torture technique.

Thank you for all of the advice and support!! 9 days to go!

I’m so proud of you!!! Your almost there! I’m doing the same thing and mixing in about 3-4 oz of meat also, BUT PLEASE remember one thing, the last FOUR days really should be nothing but the shake to empty you out which also significantly lower the risks of infections when they get into the small intestines to do the switch part. I’m by you like “Skin on a grape” and following you closely because I’m right behind you!!

Hi Rob!

I was thinking the same thing about being cleaned out which was why I really want to do the strict compliance that whole last week. My doc didn't give me any instructions for a cleanse the day before. My sister (a RNYer) had to take a megadose of miralax and sit in the bathroom all day. My last day is all clear liquids and nothing after midnight.

Your support is awesome and very helpful. Thank you!! Love doing this together! We're getting close now! :bacondance:

@Jen-2 I did not have ANY restrictions as to pre-op diet and the ONLY thing I was told was nothing after midnight the night before...not even clear liquids. And my surgeon is "famous" or is that INFAMOUS for requiring a 2 week (for those under a 50 BMI) and 4 weeks for those over a 50 BMI of liquids.

His reasoning for me was how close to the bottom cut off I was....ALL it took was three lbs for me to get under the 35 BMI.

My husband had a different surgeon and all he had was a clean out the night before and nothing after midnight.

Thanks @southernlady! If the migraine again forces me to add protein the second week I may explore the cleanse thing but I'm at least going to try to comply w his instructions first! Lol

Hi all. Just checking in during this endless diet. I'm done day 10 essentially. Just need to go to bed early to avoid the urge to eat something. I was down 8 pounds total as of this morning so my weight loss has slowed way down. I'm only doing the shakes at this point. I stopped the meat. The headaches continue but I can only have Tylenol at this point to manage them so I always have one but at least it's not a migraine. The doc's office called today to tell me my pre-op labs showed low vit b12 so I'm supposed to start supplementing by tomorrow.

I've paid the doctor and hospital. As a self pay they want to be sure they have their money upfront! Lol.

4 days to go. The last one is just clear liquids.

Getting close now. :)

I had a Slim Fast-type meal plan, purchased from my surgeon's practice. Didn't starve, snacks were built in, and I was eating something every few hours. Not liquid.

What I'd recommend is drinking A LOT of fluid. Also, chewing sugarfree gum, which I also use when I'm baking Christmas cookies, to keep my mouth busy so I don't eat dough. Sometimes you just gotta chew.

Yeah, I lost 19 pounds pre-op. Last time I dieted. Never again.

@Jen-2 keep it up. The end of the road is golden. I am following your journey as we are both seeing Dr. Greenback. Are you in the area or are you traveling a distance?

Latest posts

Back