Taste and Smell

newanatomy

When do I get back my unadulterated senses? My senses of taste and smell are so way off. I want to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea again!

Maybe I'm the weird one out, mine haven't really changed much that I notice. Then again, I haven't tried a lot of foods yet.

When do I get back my unadulterated senses? My senses of taste and smell are so way off. I want to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea again!
Different for everybody but my return to coffee came at around 9 months. And as I recall was longer than many others. Have heard a number of people say 3-6 months on the tastes that actually do come back. Hoping to see you reunited with coffee in no time!

To clarify, at 9 months it suddenly sounded remotely appealing again. Since I'm a coffee freak this hiatus surprised me. With my RNY in 2000, coffee sounded good by 6 weeks.

Yeah, I LOVE that tea!

Taste/smell is so weird. I think it's more sense of smell than taste that gets messed up. Everyone recovers differently in that regard as with everything else. I abhor coffee's taste but enjoy the smell, and it took a very long time....I'm thinking probably months....before it smelled like coffee rather than like skunk spray again.

ETA: Y'know, now that I think about it, remember how the Berkley Pit used to smell? Coffee smelled kind of like that, too. Blech.

AND it has my favorite painting on the box? Schweet! Is it pre sweetened? Do you drink it plain or with milk and sweetener? I'm gonna order a box now.
*eh, with shipping it comes out to $12 for 20 tea bags. Is it that good?

I have anosmia (since pre DS)...no sense of smell...so my sense of taste is likely impaired as well. I find lots of things bland or boring...I prefer SHARP or EXTRA SHARP cheddar and I think all the queso blanco stuff people rave about tastes like paper towels. I'm not sensitive about tastes.

But for about two months post-op, even water tasted ugly. And coffee...my usual is extra dark, French Brew...was disgusting.

But it all came back. Eventually.

Last edited:
It will come back. This is your new normal for now. Patience is the one thing they don't tell you about when you have surgery. This is a marathon not a sprint. Everything takes time. Give it a couple of months and all will be good.

The differences I experienced thankfully didn't involve my beloved coffee. What changed for me, and is still changed 7 years later, is that salty things taste saltier, sweet things taste sweeter, both sometimes disgustingly so, and I now like spicy foods to be more spicy, as in more heat.

Latest posts

Back