Something else?

Charris

Now an angel
My primary has been harassing me to go to the hemotologist who just happens to be an oncologist for months now. For 16 years now I have been anemic plus no matter how many units of blood I get my hemoglobin never gets over 10. At least every 2 to 3 months I get between 2-8 units of blood. They don't understand what's going on. We thought it was because I bled like crazy when I had a cycle. I had a hysterectomy and still loosing blood but they can't find out where it's going if I'm loosing it. They have went up, down, in, and around every hole in my body trying to figure it out with no answer. So the oncologist thinks it could be Leukemia or some other forms of cancer but more so Leukemia. So on the 24th I will go have a bone marrow biopsy. She says oh it's no big deal we will just take a piece of bone from my hip. Sure it's no big deal to her it's my darn hip.

I'm thinking positive I don't have any form of cancer my body is just very ornery.

Best wishes Honey!

Maybe it is just me, but if you have been anemic for quite some time and requiring that much blood does your Dr not think that if you had leukemia that it would have progressed by now and that a CBC would have shown elevated White and Lymphocyte counts?

Hopefully I am right and your Dr is wrong!!

I have no clue. I am new to her so I don't know if she doesn't no. I'm not worried about it to be honest. The real reason I'm not worried is as many test as they have done on me since 2014 When I first became malnourished somebody should have found something saying there was something wrong with me besides the things they have found.

Scott I think I am saying basically the same thing you said. I'm really even debating being put in pain to test for something but if there's a slight chance it's better to find out early.

I have been in the hospital way yyyyy yyyyy too much for me to have cancer and no one found it now.

I would think something on a basic CBC should be out of whack if you had cancer, but I am not a 100% about that so I don't want suggest that you don't get a bone barrow aspiration. If an oncologist thinks you should be tested I would think that you should be tested.

Note: I misread originally and thought your pcp ordered the bone marrow aspiration so that is why I made my original comments. I think for my piece of mind I personally would get it done.

As someone who had a bone marrow biopsy (they thought I had lymphoma - false alarm), I can attest that it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Like with root canal, people tend to exaggerate their experience because they want people to listen to them, or whatever, but anyone who has a had root canal will usually tell you it's no big deal.

They just take a TINY little corkscrew sample from your hip. You'll feel pressure for about 5 seconds. Take an Adavan or something first, just to calm your nerves, but I don't think it's going to be as bad as the build up. And I'm a wuss.

The main thing is that I hope it comes up negative.

Best to you, MM

BTW when I first came aware of my malnutrition I saw a hemo who was going to order a marrow aspiration, but my blood work came back okay as far as that concern so I didn't need it.

As someone who had a bone marrow biopsy (they thought I had lymphoma - false alarm), I can attest that it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Like with root canal, people tend to exaggerate their experience because they want people to listen to them, or whatever, but anyone who has a had root canal will usually tell you it's no big deal.

They just take a TINY little corkscrew sample from your hip. You'll feel pressure for about 5 seconds. Take an Adavan or something first, just to calm your nerves, but I don't think it's going to be as bad as the build up. And I'm a wuss.

The main thing is that I hope it comes up negative.

Best to you, MM

Thanks I am a wuss when it comes to pain. But when people exaggerate and make it seems God awful it is best for me. When I think it will be so bad I'm going to die and I get it and it hurts but not as much as the exaggeration I tend to do better. Lol I know I'm a flake.

I would think something on a basic CBC should be out of whack if you had cancer, but I am not a 100% about that so I don't want suggest that you don't get a bone barrow aspiration. If an oncologist thinks you should be tested I would think that you should be tested.

Note: I misread originally and thought your pcp ordered the bone marrow aspiration so that is why I made my original comments. I think for my piece of mind I personally would get it done.

I'm going to get it done at some point. I'm not saying it will be on the 24th for sure. I'm just a scary azz When it comes to pain. Oh wait it will be on the 24th. I told my mini me and she doesn't allow for me to skip Dr. appointments. Darn her

Thanks I am a wuss when it comes to pain. But when people exaggerate and make it seems God awful it is best for me. When I think it will be so bad I'm going to die and I get it and it hurts but not as much as the exaggeration I tend to do better. Lol I know I'm a flake.
Not Flakey at all. Expect the worst so your are prepared and then anything better than the worst is "all gravy".

OK, if that's what works for you I'll rephrase: as someone who's had a bone marrow biopsy, I can assure you the pain will be excruciating, debilitating and long-lasting. It will leave you crippled inside and out. And I'm a Viking. There. Feel better?! :eek:

Latest posts

Back