So Monday is the day

Thanks and no worries as I am sure USC verdugo hills will be fine. Pictures look nice and it says rooms are private. The most important think is Dr K and then the nursing staff.

Scott, I woke up thinking of Cameron this morning. Please let us know as soon as there is any news.

Hi Larra,

We are at the office now waiting for Dr k to finish a minor procedure, do consultation, go for tests and then procedure this afternoon if everything is okay. I will post when he gets in and out.

Kristina just told us that Cameron is scheduled for 2 pm.

Wow is probably not doing Dr K justice. What a guy. He spent some good hour talking with us, diagnosing, explaining, drawing pictures and he even went out of the room and came back with a bottle of water for us. LOL what a guy

So cameron has a hernia just to the left of the belly button that somehow he found immediately but an ER CT didn't pick up.. SMH! That will be repaired and definitely doing a big drain for stomach emptying and the pyloroplasty if he deems needed when he is operating and same for the hostel hernia.... He will check for adhesions as well.

Definitely confident about Dr K.

Cameron just went back to the OR so in a few hours he will hopefully be on his way to a life that is free of these debilitating stomach/GI problems.

A nurse came out about 30 minutes ago and said Dr K said things were going fine but he was doing a few more things and would be out when done....so we are anxiously awaiting. He was going to avoid the hiatal hernia repair and pyloroplasty if he could but said he wouldn't know for sure until he got in and could see for himself. I have a feeling that Cameron has an adhesion or two as well so I would not be surprised if he is working that too.

This is pure speculation on my part, so we shall see hopefully soon.

Best wishes for Cameron. Hopefully he's on his way out even as I type and on his way to a speedy recovery!!!!

Dr K just came out to talk to us and of course nothing is ever normal with Cameron.
  1. Dr K found a Meckel's Diverticulum that he removed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meckel's_diverticulum This is very rare and extremely hard to diagnose according to Dr K due to the fact of where it is located. Too far up for colonoscopy to catch and to far down for endoscope to catch. These things cause ulcer like symptoms including bleeding so it was a very good cacth. Cameron has had tarry stools for several years but nobody has ever found an active bleed so Dr K said that he is pretty certain this Meckel's thing was causing that.
  2. Cameron's wrap (nissen) was pretty much not sutured together any longer and pictures show that(defective from previous surgery? due to being dilated a few times). Dr K repaired the wrap (new stitching) but was still able to easily pass a 36fr bougie through the esophagus so it should not be too tight.
  3. A significant hiatal hernia was present and Dr K repaired the hernia, but did not use any mesh.
  4. When lifting the liver out of the way to get to the stomach Dr k said part of the stomach at the greater curvature was stuck to the liver. He had to clean up that scar tissue up before doing the roux en y drain.
  5. A large drain was created and Dr K said he now has pretty much a 50 CM Roux en Y limb and the other junction is roughly 50 cm as well. He said this should have virtually no malabsorption so he should be fine as far as nutrition. He said the drain opening is huge so the stomach should empty very well now (of course dumping is now a risk).
  6. The ventral hernia that was found today was repaired as well. There was some intestine wrapped up in the hernia.
  7. Final complication. Dr K said that it took an incredible amount of anesthesia to knock Cameron out and keep him out. Which Dr K said has his liver working way too hard. That explains why Cameron has such a hard time with pain control. Normal dose doesn't work for him. Dr K said we have to figure that out because that amount of narcotic is not good. Hopefully after this recovery he no longer needs any pain medication.
All and all, Cameron is doing well and Dr K and Dianna & I, feel very good about this procedure and chances of success. The procedure took 3 hours.

THanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers.

Latest posts

Back