Slow navigation

newanatomy

For some reason this site's response time has dramatically increased. It takes a long time for a response to post and when I am leaving one page to go to another it takes a really long time to reload. None of the other sites I visit on my computer are this slow. Is something wrong?

Nothing I am aware of but it might be time to consider a move from it's current hybrid server to a dedicated server. Need to check my budget to see if it can be fit in.

BTW, I have noticed it as well.

I don't notice it myself
It's sporadic. Not bad late at night but this server has two forums on it. The other one is rather larger but most of the people there are UK based so once it gets later in the evening, things speed up here.

I did mention to dh that we may need to upgrade...

How much would that cost, Liz? Maybe we can rub our pennies together?
I currently spend $99 a month for the hybrid server which is better than a VPS. To upgrade, it would basically double the price.
Time for a callt o action then!
Sounds like it.

For those who do not understand servers...
Standard hosting...like a private single set of pages is done with a company who provides space but you share space with LOTS of other clients.
VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a step up and gives the admin of the site far more control but you still share space with many others. BUT you can also let others share if you want depending on your own space requirements.
Hybrid Servers; Similar to a VPS but maybe only 4 clients to a space. BUT you can also let others share if you want depending on your own space requirements.
Dedicated Server...you are the ONLY one on that site. You can let others share but you control it and you have the choice as to who to share with. The HARD part is the admining of a server for Hybrid or Dedicated. I do not have the partner I did when I first moved into dedicated serving...he moved away and got married and life got in his way. Before he did that, we moved to a managed system which will do most of the setup/monitoring required.

Obviously as you move up the ladder, things get more expensive. And having someone do the work for you (managed) is a bit pricy too. I was looking at managed dedicated servers last night and they typically start in the 150/200 range and can go to close to $1000 a month.

I currently spend $99 a month for the hybrid server which is better than a VPS. To upgrade, it would basically double the price.

Sounds like it.

For those who do not understand servers...
Standard hosting...like a private single set of pages is done with a company who provides space but you share space with LOTS of other clients.
VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a step up and gives the admin of the site far more control but you still share space with many others. BUT you can also let others share if you want depending on your own space requirements.
Hybrid Servers; Similar to a VPS but maybe only 4 clients to a space. BUT you can also let others share if you want depending on your own space requirements.
Dedicated Server...you are the ONLY one on that site. You can let others share but you control it and you have the choice as to who to share with. The HARD part is the admining of a server for Hybrid or Dedicated. I do not have the partner I did when I first moved into dedicated serving...he moved away and got married and life got in his way. Before he did that, we moved to a managed system which will do most of the setup/monitoring required.

Obviously as you move up the ladder, things get more expensive. And having someone do the work for you (managed) is a bit pricy too. I was looking at managed dedicated servers last night and they typically start in the 150/200 range and can go to close to $1000 a month.

I'm not sure what the answer is...but, all I do know is, you shouldn't have to bear this $$$$ alone?? I made a donation in Dec and I intend on making one quarterly and I encourage others too do that as well. That being said, human nature being what it is, things get forgot about, put off etc until there's a crisis. Also, BTW Liz, off topic sort of, but... I still to this day cannot log on from any computer, 3 different ones, 3 different IP's unless I repeat the log in info X 2? Its very strange, tried everything.

I'm not sure what the answer is...but, all I do know is, you shouldn't have to bear this $$$$ alone?? I made a donation in Dec and I intend on making one quarterly and I encourage others too do that as well. That being said, human nature being what it is, things get forgot about, put off etc until there's a crisis. Also, BTW Liz, off topic sort of, but... I still to this day cannot log on from any computer, 3 different ones, 3 different IP's unless I repeat the log in info X 2? Its very strange, tried everything.
I got your donation...and thanks. I am holding on to some funds to help pay for software upgrades... @MsJacquiiC handles that and we are due up for another round.

As to the other issue...she's the one who has to answer that. I know she was dealing with some others, the thread on that one is here: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/having-trouble-staying-logged-in.1929/

I sent a check for $50.00, you should get it in a few days. I had my paypal account hacked years ago so I don't have one anymore. Anyway, thanks for everything!

Oh, and for those who want to donate but can't or don't want to use paypal, start a conversation with me. I will give you mailing info.

Latest posts

Back