Seasonal Affective Disorder

@bearmom , I have, in fact, tore a complete stranger a new hole to poop out of for a similar offense. A woman once dared to touch my son in a store. He was looking at gum, and she took it from him and "steered" him towards me, whilst chastizing him. I went off like an effing rocket. Do NOT touch my child, you sanctimonious church lady wanna be.

I started tanning today. Got out of the bed, it's a Wolf, exactly like the one I considered buying 2 years ago but didn't. This town is tiny, and the salon has two really nice beds. Super clean, too. No music, though.

A hundred years ago, my mom hit the public health nurse with her purse.

See...neighbors' dog bit my sister then ran into a street and got killed by a speeding car. They BURIED the dog and wouldn't say where. My sister had to undergo the old, ten-days-of-injections in the abdomen rabies series. She was four. On Saturday and Sunday, my mom had to take her to the Health Department, to the weekend nurse. On Saturday, as soon as my sister saw the needle, she started crying and squirming. Once again...she was FOUR. Nurse grabbed her, shook her and then raised her arm to STRIKE my sister when she found her head on the receiving end of my mother's angry purse.

Apparently she called in sick for Sunday, because there was a different nurse.

When MiniSue was in second grade, at a QUAKER (non-violent, for fuck sake) school, she had four fingernail scratches on her arm where the teacher had tried to restrain her. I had MiniSue wait outside while I explained to the sweet young teacher that if my child even hinted that the teacher ever again TOUCHED her, that she and I would be having a prayer meeting across the hood of her cute little Mazda Miata. Then, angry cowboy style, I raised my right leg and kicked the door open and exited. I think maybe the teacher didn't like that because she ran out of the room, crying, got in her little car and not-quite-non-violently SPED off the school grounds where children were playing. So...when the new teacher started...

I need to get assertive training from this group.

It took all I had to chase the rude one down at the registers and rip her a new one loudly enough to make sure everyone right there could hear what a rude shit she was. My heart was pounding, but she was so out of line I knew I had to say something.

It made me more determined when my poor mom, who actually stopped because there was a looky-loo in front of her who stopped, so she stopped behind her, and was waiting for either a break in the carts going by to either pass, or for the woman to start moving. THAT woman did not get the snotty comment, the old, non-threatening woman with a walker did, and since my mom is already self conscious that she cannot keep up with a faster walking pace when using a walker, then thought she should go use a side isle down the edge of the store to not be an inconvenience to other shoppers. Between her doormatishness, and the rude woman, I let the rude one have my full years worth of bitchiness.

I might just try and tough it out til spring...not sure. if I go to walking the dogs before work (and work later in the day, then) I might get enough light just being outside for that time. maybe.

tell us how you feel after tanning, Sheanie - how long does it take to help?
For me, the results are pretty instantaneous. But keep in mind, when I take any type of meds, I only need half the normal dosage. 200mg of IBU is all I need. When I was on antidepressants, I only took the smallest dose of Prozac & Wellbutrin.

I started tanning yesterday and I already have my "happy" back. Don't know if I'm tetched in the head or just susceptible to the placebo effect, but I'm happier. Something about the bright light, the warmth that reaches my bones, and the dreamy sense of laying in the sun. I get the feeling after tanning like I get from a day at the beach. I call it my "dose of happy".

I need to get assertive training from this group.

It took all I had to chase the rude one down at the registers and rip her a new one loudly enough to make sure everyone right there could hear what a rude shit she was. My heart was pounding, but she was so out of line I knew I had to say something.

It made me more determined when my poor mom, who actually stopped because there was a looky-loo in front of her who stopped, so she stopped behind her, and was waiting for either a break in the carts going by to either pass, or for the woman to start moving. THAT woman did not get the snotty comment, the old, non-threatening woman with a walker did, and since my mom is already self conscious that she cannot keep up with a faster walking pace when using a walker, then thought she should go use a side isle down the edge of the store to not be an inconvenience to other shoppers. Between her doormatishness, and the rude woman, I let the rude one have my full years worth of bitchiness.
Apparently I have passed my assertiveness on to my daughter. She has no problem managing a warehouse full of workers.

Sue, sounds like YOU had an excellent teacher...your mom!

My mother wasn't assertive at all...I'm the one who had to be early on. Now, when things need doing, guess who dh hands it off to???? Esp if my BITCH mode is required. He's LEARNING tho.

Sheanie, you are making me want to try it. aren't you afraid of skin cancer, though? do you put on any lotion?

Sheanie, you are making me want to try it. aren't you afraid of skin cancer, though? do you put on any lotion?

Not Sheanie, but hubby goes.

No...you don't WANT to block the light. Just start slowly and "titrate" up slowly. Ongoing battle between endocrinologists/internists vs dermatologists. Seems the derms have convinced everyone to block enough sunlight that Vit D deficiencies are really a problem.

So...put sunblock on your face and the backs of your hands...and let the rest of your body drink it in!

L

My husband is, I finally figured put, doing some of this. It got cool, so he got out of the pool. Then it got cold, so he stays indoors. He has gained weight (he has a cardiac hx and should not do this) and, other than taking care of me which must be very uplifting, he does nothing. He bought a new leaf blower. I thought he'd at least go outside and blow some leaves away from the pool...but the most exercise he got was walking around Home Depot looking for it.

I need to send him to a tanning place...asap!
Come camping with us in Monterey for Xmas!

I'm 54. Sunscreen wasn't invented until recently. So now I put lotion on my face (Neutrogena) every day with 30 SPF. That's it. When I tan, I cover my face and hair, because it's permed. There is no history of any cancer on either side of my family. My husband has skin cancer. I'm personally not convinced that skin cancer isn't caused by some other environmental substance. It's not a popular idea, and I do not recommend tanning. I do it myself with the full knowledge of the risk.

Latest posts

Back