Salutations!

Here at the facility and met with the therapist. They got me right in tk see the surgeon.
I'm 5 ft 4 in, and currently 284lbs. Which means still 49.1 bmi?
I'll see how this goes, I was anticipating more time to prep on how to talk about the ds surgery that I would like.

Met the surgeon, and he seems really great.
He surprised me by saying off the bat DS was an option, even mentioned Dr. Rabkin by name.
Then of course, he went into a long discourse on why he would not recommend it for me.
He mentioned he generally doesn't discuss it with patients unless their BMI is in the 50-55 range, mentioning that 60 number repeatedly. He said it was so severe, that it was normally reserved for those who had no quality of life and needed drastic measures.

He mentioned the mortality rate was much higher. (1 in 100, vrs 1 in 500 for sleeve)
Another set of numbers he tossed at me was out of 1300 bariatric surgeries performed in northern california (For Kaiser), only 10 of those were DS procedures.

I was not as prepared as I had hoped to be for this meeting. He wrote down Sleeve for now, but assured me that we could discuss it further and I could change that.

My goal weight is set at 280. Four pounds to go, so that was exciting.
I have a support group at the Kaiser in Vacaville on Monday evening. Nutritionist appointment on the 31st.

Little overwhelmed tonight and doing more reading and deep thought. I plan on being down for the seminar in Nov with Dr. Rabkin. On Nov. 9th.

I know that the surgeons will push the two accepted surgeries that will keep things in house. I don't understand when their big objection is the malabsorption when that is also present in the RnY, and not frowned upon.

Last edited:
Before you make any decision, get to the SF support group, hear Dr. Rabkin's presentation for new people, ask questions, and talk with some of the post-ops you will meet there. Ask him about that mortality rate - keep in mind that when the DS is "reserved" for the heaviest and highest risk patients, it's bound to have a higher mortality rate than an operation that is done on the lighter, healthier, lower risk patients. And even then I think that number is high. But ask the expert, Dr. Rabkin, about his personal mortality rate. You can also ask if he's really done just 10 patients from Kaiser. I have my doubts about that number as well, but I don't have the numbers, and Dr. Rabkin will.
Regarding malabsorption, we do have more malabsorption with the DS than people with RNY. People can, and sadly do, get into trouble with either operation, and you can get into trouble faster with the DS, but in most cases with both operations it's due to noncompliance. Not always, but most of the time. So if you are willing to learn what you need to take and how much, and willing to make that lifetime commitment to keeping up with vitamins, minerals, protein and lab work, you should do just fine with the DS. When people decide they are special and don't need the same supplements as everyone else, that's when they get into trouble, and once you become deficient it's much harder to catch up than it is to stay healthy to begin with.
Keep in mind also that the malabsorption is one of the big reasons that people do so much better with DS than RNY for weight loss and esp for maintenance of that weight loss, which is a big issue with both RNY and sleeve. Yes, it's a bigger operation with a bit higher risk, but what is the point of having any operation that doesn't get good results?

I went to Dr Rabkin's group last month. He has done way more than 10 Kaiser Patients. There were 3 Kaiser patients with the DS in the room! Dr Rabin showed some mortality stats and for "like" to "like" in terms of weight mortality rates were the same.

I'm still a newbie, so I have not dealt much with the nutritional issue yet, but as far as I can tell, you just need to get your blood work once a year - more the first year.

Did I mention Diabetes is gone and I'm down 47 pounds in 9 weeks and 36% to my goal? ;-)

See you on Nov 9th. Let me know if you want to grab coffee before hand.

Last edited:
Just finished meeting galaxygrrl and Group and the fabulous Dr. Rabkin.
So happy I went, I learned a lot and got yo ask a ton of questions and get honest and straight forward answers. My husband went with me, which was really great. I got my weight taken and I'm at goal weight! (280!)
I have a dr appointement at kaiser on friday so it should be documented and i can move forward with hopefully with the referral from kaiser. I'm so excited and hopeful and.. Well nervous too. I feel like between this board and that group that I found my "people". :)

Just finished meeting galaxygrrl and Group and the fabulous Dr. Rabkin.
So happy I went, I learned a lot and got yo ask a ton of questions and get honest and straight forward answers. My husband went with me, which was really great. I got my weight taken and I'm at goal weight! (280!)
I have a dr appointement at kaiser on friday so it should be documented and i can move forward with hopefully with the referral from kaiser. I'm so excited and hopeful and.. Well nervous too. I feel like between this board and that group that I found my "people". :)
Hi @Zarabear . Larra is the greatest and her comment about people getting in trouble with malabsorption being almost exclusively due to non compliance is dead on correct. I am that rare exception (always the freaking case in my life) who got into problems nutrition wise but that was because my original DS surgeon made my absorbing intestinal path too short for the length of my total small bowel. A year out from my surgery I found myself passing out and ended up in the hospital for a week with a resting heart rate of 35, BP of 70/40, and my total protein and albumin were just a little more than half of what the very bottom of range. Choosing the best DS surgeon you can and then complying with vitamin and dietary needs is extremely important. Dr K was able to revise me and lengthen my Alimentary limb so that I now absorb much better. It made an immediate impact. I just wish I had found him and had my original DS with him. Dr K is incredible and Dr Rabkin is very good as well so you are going to be in great hands.

With all due respect the guy from Kaiser is full of shit and flat out lying to you about mortality rates and complications with the DS. I am very biased but IMO the only acceptable Bariatric surgery is the DS.

Best wishes and I am glad you found Larra and our group. I had the wonderful fortune of meeting Larra after my revision and she is even nicer in person than she is here and her knowledge is second to none.

Met the surgeon, and he seems really great.
He surprised me by saying off the bat DS was an option, even mentioned Dr. Rabkin by name.
Then of course, he went into a long discourse on why he would not recommend it for me.
He mentioned he generally doesn't discuss it with patients unless their BMI is in the 50-55 range, mentioning that 60 number repeatedly. He said it was so severe, that it was normally reserved for those who had no quality of life and needed drastic measures.

He mentioned the mortality rate was much higher. (1 in 100, vrs 1 in 500 for sleeve)
Another set of numbers he tossed at me was out of 1300 bariatric surgeries performed in northern california (For Kaiser), only 10 of those were DS procedures.

I was not as prepared as I had hoped to be for this meeting. He wrote down Sleeve for now, but assured me that we could discuss it further and I could change that.

My goal weight is set at 280. Four pounds to go, so that was exciting.
I have a support group at the Kaiser in Vacaville on Monday evening. Nutritionist appointment on the 31st.

Little overwhelmed tonight and doing more reading and deep thought. I plan on being down for the seminar in Nov with Dr. Rabkin. On Nov. 9th.

I know that the surgeons will push the two accepted surgeries that will keep things in house. I don't understand when their big objection is the malabsorption when that is also present in the RnY, and not frowned upon.

On the mortality rate...of the 499 patients who survive the Sleeve procedure, I wonder how many die a bit later from their obesity-related comorbidities?

And, hi.

Sue
Two Sleeve patients in my extended family...one is regaining at 10#/year. The other...who has to have a BMI of 50+...had the procedure early this year and MAYBE she has lost 15 pounds. MAYBE.

Hello everyone!
Been a long couple of months. Below goal weight and cleared, of course Kaiser is still trying to get me to agree to a Sleeve only.
I remained firm, and countered all the surgeon's points with the research and knowledge that I've gained. He said he would give my request to his 'chief' and now I'm just waiting for what seems like an inevitable denial.

I have already requested my medical records from Kaiser and I am considering paying out of pocket for an appointment to see Dr. Rabkin to bolster my case as well that I am a candidate for the DS.

The waiting is the worst.

HW- 315
CW- 277

BMI in my Kaiser chart still says 49%

Be sure to request a REFERRAL to Dr. Rabkin specifically. Then, when you get the denial, you can self pay and when you win, you can demand that Kaiser reimburse you for the cost of the referral as well as the whole surgery. If you don't have a first denial in hand, you can't demand to be reimbursed.

Well... after waiting for two weeks, I msg'd my Dr to ask if there had been any word after referring the request to the Chief of Surgery. This was his response:

[/Hi Rachal,

No, I have not heard of anything other than it was approved right away and Dr. Dutta sent it to regional coordinator to arrange. I know it takes some time. They also will not notify me. I believe you'll hear either from Fremont program next or from Dr. Rabkin's office.

Take care,

Kaiser Dr.

OMG!!!! It was approved right away?? I feel like I'm dreaming. I can't wait to have it in writing and to see how fast we can go. Thank you guys for all your support! I really appreciate everything.

Not wanting to squelch your happiness, but WHAT are you approved for? It may be just for a referral to Dr. Rabkin, to get a letter of medical necessity from him and for him to submit for surgery - at which point, the whole denial thing could happen.

Sorry to possibly rain on your parade on a Friday evening.

I did not ask for the referral to see him for a consult. I asked for the DS surgery, with the understanding that the contracted surgeon was Dr Rabkin. I initiated thw conversation with the Therapist who discussed it with Dr. Grinberg. Then had two phone appointments with a lot of discouragement.
He said that the chief of surgery would have to make the call on the referral for surgery. And then I received that msg today when I mailed him. I am still bracing for something to happen... LoL and i cant wait to make calls on Monday to find out more and what's next.

Latest posts

Back