Salutations!

Consult went great! Rabkins office will send off their report to Liz and will let me know when to start my daily checkin with her as to where kaiser is at with everything. :) once the surgery auth comes through we will set a date! He said once we've reached this stage that other than the waiting game, it should be smooth sailing. I'm still holding my breath and will do everything I can to make sure I get things done on my end. ;)

The waiting game continues. LoL
Keeping careful logs of all my communication and calls to Liz at Kaiser.
I'm not too frantic yet, my year anniversary with the County is June 20th, which makes me eligible for FMLA leave.

So the plan is...
July 7th-14th - Sitting on a beach in Mexico, suntanning with my best friends and getting ready to change EVERYTHING upon my return. Still anxious to get that date pinned down for the surgery, but I know it'll be soon!

~Zara

The saga continues. :p I'm keeping my spirits up. Kaiser is of course dragging its feet. Ive kept careful records of each contact with Liz.
42 calls later I finally get a call back. She claims she is Waiting on ME to get pre op labs and tests done and I need to see my PC for this. So I make an appointment which i just finished up. Got base labs done and ekg as well. PC cant grant pre op clearance. Kaiser has a team for that since she isn't covered to give that sort of clearance. So I've contacted liz again and waiting to hear back. Will call at leaar three times a day until I hear back.
Just keep swimming.... Mexico in 42 days!

SUCH ineptitude.
Run around, and more run around. Saw PCP last week, had labs and EKG done.
Talked with Liz yesterday, she said I need a physical. So I make an appointment for TODAY.
Make it there, and my PCP won't see me for the physical! Said she had been talking with Liz, and it wasn't needed. (after I took off work etc.) I call Liz back, leave several messages since at this point there is only half an hour left to her day.
Get a call back...

Long story short. Physical and everything is in now. (the one from August of last year)
I need a chest xray and that's it. Then surgery authorization can happen.
Liz is gone for the rest of this week but put in the order for it tonight, and I'm getting the XRay done tomorrow so it's ready and waiting for her upon her return.

So ready for this surgery date...
Working in the meantime to get some lab numbers up since I got a hold of those.

Zinc 78 ug/dL
(60-120 ug/dL)

Iron 70 ug/dL
(50-212 ug/dL)
Transferrin % Saturation 20%
(14-57%)
Ferritin 27 ng/mL
(22-291 ng/mL)

B6
27.1 nmol/L
(20.0 - 125.0 nmol/L)

SUCH ineptitude.
Run around, and more run around. Saw PCP last week, had labs and EKG done.
Talked with Liz yesterday, she said I need a physical. So I make an appointment for TODAY.
Make it there, and my PCP won't see me for the physical! Said she had been talking with Liz, and it wasn't needed. (after I took off work etc.) I call Liz back, leave several messages since at this point there is only half an hour left to her day.
Get a call back...

Long story short. Physical and everything is in now. (the one from August of last year)
I need a chest xray and that's it. Then surgery authorization can happen.
Liz is gone for the rest of this week but put in the order for it tonight, and I'm getting the XRay done tomorrow so it's ready and waiting for her upon her return.

So ready for this surgery date...
Working in the meantime to get some lab numbers up since I got a hold of those.

Zinc 78 ug/dL
(60-120 ug/dL)

Iron 70 ug/dL
(50-212 ug/dL)
Transferrin % Saturation 20%
(14-57%)
Ferritin 27 ng/mL
(22-291 ng/mL)

B6
27.1 nmol/L
(20.0 - 125.0 nmol/L)
Your ferritin is low...scary low for someone going into surgery. Are you taking oral iron now? If not, add it. If so, ask for an infusion.

Already started oral supplements. The day after I got the results. With two months roughly (hopefully) to surgery will this ne enough time?
I'm taking iron, b6, and zinc to increase numbers. (iron with vitC) and the doc is onlu concerned about my vit D levels so I'm getting a prescription for that.
I know gettinh labs up now will be the best gift I can give myself.

Already started oral supplements. The day after I got the results. With two months roughly (hopefully) to surgery will this ne enough time?
I'm taking iron, b6, and zinc to increase numbers. (iron with vitC) and the doc is onlu concerned about my vit D levels so I'm getting a prescription for that.
I know gettinh labs up now will be the best gift I can give myself.
Be careful with the B6, you want THAT one low normal.

Thanks for catching that! I put B6, but I meant my b12. (still getting these all straight!)
Vit B12 281 pg/mL
(>= 200pg/mL)

Kaiser gives me each test separate, so I've been combining and looking at these numbers and going crosseyed!

Another vet on FB said to aim to get that in the 400's?

B12 is very poorly absorbed with gastric bypass, but most of us (not all!) with the DS seem to do just fine without any supplementation. I wouldn't sweat that one.

Take a multi, extra D, and calcium too! You want to go in to surgery with your stores built up as much as possible!

Thanks for catching that! I put B6, but I meant my b12. (still getting these all straight!)
Vit B12 281 pg/mL
(>= 200pg/mL)

Kaiser gives me each test separate, so I've been combining and looking at these numbers and going crosseyed!

Another vet on FB said to aim to get that in the 400's?
What is your current B12? If not top of normal range, add it. Mine has been over 2000 for 3 decades or more.

B12 below 500 can cause nerve issues, too low too long and the nerve damage is permanent.

What is your current B12? If not top of normal range, add it. Mine has been over 2000 for 3 decades or more.

B12 below 500 can cause nerve issues, too low too long and the nerve damage is permanent.

Currently only 281. :(
I've added that in, and got more direction on oral iron from my doc. So Zinc, Iron, and B12, and prescription Vit D.

Latest posts

Back