Salutations!

Zarabear

Here at Kaiser in Sacramento for my initial four hour intro to the bariatruc program.
Already have meeting with psychologist and surgeon scheduled for latet this month.

Surgeon talked briefly about DS, and mentioned 60 bmi!

I am most interested in the D'S surgery, but I am feeling very apprehensive over the denial processes with Kaiser. Glad to be here for support and a lot of GREAT information.

Highest weight 315
Current weight 286
5'5"

Hi and welcome!
OK, the idiot surgeon said bmi 60, but in reality Kaiser will send you to Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco for a DS if your bmi is over 50. I hope you have documentation of that weight of 315 because that gave you a bmi of 52.4.
I call the surgeon an idiot, even though he may be a fine surgeon for all I know, because the DS is a standard of care bariatric surgery for anyone who qualifies medically for bariatric surgery and not just for those with a higher bmi. And even then, most docs who use a minimum bmi say 50 and not 60. But setting that aside, no one at Kaiser does the DS, so if/when a patient has the knowledge and good sense to insist on it, they send their patients to Dr. Rabkin or Pacific Laparoscopy, who is an experienced and excellent DS surgeon. So that's the good news, the bad news is that you are going to need to advocate for yourself and possibly hear a ton of negativity and attempts to talk you out of the DS. So it's great that you are here, where you can learn all about the DS and be prepared to stick up for yourself.
The time to request the DS as at the consult with the surgeon. Hopefully, with your bmi having been so high, he will request that the head of the NorCal Kaiser bariatric program authorize the outside care. If not, we can help you through the appeals process.

Welcome. Dr Rabkin is just amazing. He has a group in SF that meets next week if you want to come - yes, I know it's a long way.

I am so glad to have found this board. I don't actually have the appointment with the surgeon like I thought. I do have to meet with the psychiatrist, and it's on the 25th due to a history of anxiety/depression. In the meantime, I'll be ticking off a few things on their checklist like the support group.

Next week will unfortunately not work for me to attend down in SF, I'm currently working 7 days a week until the Ren Faire is done in Gilroy, but PLEASE let me know the next one after that, I will make the trek!

From everything that I've read, the DS surgery both maintains function, and aids the most in weight loss and long term results.
I am not looking for a magic pill, but if I'm going to take this drastic step to better my health, I want to go for the best possible option. They advocate for the Sleeve, and list in several places that there isn't enough long term data as to its effectiveness and complications!
It is so absurd that they make it so hard! Larra, I saw your post from several years ago on another board, and I am thrilled that you and Diana are here, and I stumbled across you both! <3

Welcome @Zarabear

Larra knows her stuff very, very well and when it comes to the legal/insurance side Diana is second to none as well. I am so glad you found us here because this place is awesome with a lot of people who have lived with the DS for many years. Without people like Larra, Diana, Liz (southern lady) and several others I would have been a vitamin mess and made all kinds of mistake.

You absolutely need the DS as the sleeve won't solve the issues that the DS will - Type 2 Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, High Cholesterol and hypertension...don't know if you have them but with a high BMI it is likely. Nor will the sleeve get you keep you anywhere weight wise where you want to and need to be. You made the right decision pushing for the DS and as Larra said, Rabkin is one of the best.

Best wishes to you and glad to have you here.

I am pre-diabetic and my last panel showed high cholesterol.
A year and a half ago, I had broken my ankle, we lost our house to foreclosure and life was a MESS. Which aided in me in reaching that highest weight. With the help of a lot of small steps and medication I was able to reclaim my life. I am so ready to take this step and so eager to learn. I'm jusr really grateful to be here and I want to stay for a long, long time!

Next week will unfortunately not work for me to attend down in SF, I'm currently working 7 days a week until the Ren Faire is done in Gilroy, but PLEASE let me know the next one after that, I will make the trek!

Larra and Diana will be able to help you.

Also, in terms of the group, here are the details

http://www.paclap.com/support/meetings-calendar.cfm

San Francisco
Date: 2nd Wednesday of each month
Time: 6 PM - Simultaneous Informational Seminar and post-op meeting.
7 PM - General open meeting for both pre-op and post-op patients.
Place: Cafeteria at St. Mary's Hospital
450 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
Additional details: Parking is available at St. Mary's Hospital parking at the corner of Stanyan and Hayes Street.
For more information please call our office.

Here at Kaiser in Sacramento for my initial four hour intro to the bariatruc program.
Already have meeting with psychologist and surgeon scheduled for latet this month.

Surgeon talked briefly about DS, and mentioned 60 bmi!

I am most interested in the D'S surgery, but I am feeling very apprehensive over the denial processes with Kaiser. Glad to be here for support and a lot of GREAT information.

Highest weight 315
Current weight 286
5'5"
Hi and welcome @Zarabear.
You've come to the right place! Lots of quality information and genuine support here. Looking forward to following your journey.

Hello and welcome @Zarabear ! :) With the insurance situation, it's probably going to be a longer journey than anyone would like, but the destination is well worth it. Stay the course!

I'm determined and excited. Thankfully, with Kaiser, everything is covered. There is no deductible, no co-insurance... I can take it one step at a time and with help, get where i need to be. I am so thankful to have found this board. I've been reading and reading and reading some more. :)

I'm determined and excited. Thankfully, with Kaiser, everything is covered. There is no deductible, no co-insurance... I can take it one step at a time and with help, get where i need to be. I am so thankful to have found this board. I've been reading and reading and reading some more. :)

That is what happened when I found this board. I read and read and read. This board is great. And Dr Rabkin is awesome.

Latest posts

Back