RE-UPDATED: Dear People Who Took Science Classes...

I'm so sorry to hear you were hospitalized Spiky but am hopeful you'll get this ship righted all the way now. Sometimes being admitted is best because it gives time for the nurses to figure out what's really going on with you. People mistakenly believe that doctors perform this function, but they most surely do not. While doctors will float by on a fast moving conveyor belt giving you a quick physical and asking a few basic questions, a good nurse will spend the time reviewing your labs, vital signs, LISTENING to you describe what's going on, and then packaging this info in a neat little bundle for the doctors consumption. They will then prescribe treatment based heavily on the nurses provided information. Here's hoping that you get a great group of nurses caring for you while you're there. And please remember that the squeaky wheel really does get the grease! Speak up long and loudly to be sure you're having your needs met. By the way, the ER charges a higher rate for services than a regular hospital floor. My hospital was fined $3 million because it was fibbing about the amount of time patients spent in the ER, moving them to the floor physically while billing as if they were in the ER still. If you were standing in a totally empty ER, you would still wait hours to go to the floor. It's sad but true. Get lots of rest and I hope you're feeling better really soon!
:sunwaking15:

Thanks, Will. One of the fuck ups was that they neglected to advise my uro that I had been admitted. I told him. As soon as I bust out of this dump, I go to his office for a lidocaine instillation in the bladder.

Awww Poor @Spiky. Now don't make me call and yell at the staff because you're not standing up for yourself. YOU MUST FEEL REALLY TERRIBLE. :whine1:

I hope you feel better.

Yes, I was "admitted"...then someone forgot to tell anyone else I was admitted...so I languished in the ED forever...then someone decided that my uro--who was never told I was there--was planning to do "a procedure"...so suddenly I was In A Room, NPO and someone else was dragging in an IV with saline for hydration.

Based on the egotistical assumption that I should get to vote on whether I would be having said unnamed "procedure," I refused the IV and, while the someones stood around, I picked up the phone, called Mr. Sue, and quite audibly requested that he bring a small thermos of coffee, a couple of protein bars and, dammit, I forgot to ask for some string cheese. The somebodys looked rather astonished.

Meanwhile, another someone saw the words "kidney stones." So she marched in with a "hat" for urine collection and a strainer to collect pieces of said stones. I started laughing. "Have you SEEN the radiology report?" I inquired. Well, no. Nobody had looked at that.

I pointed out that it said that there was no stone blocking the ureter--ergo, no need to rush into ANY "procedure"--and that the two stones mentioned were 6 mm x 11 mm and 8 mm x 11 mm (about a quarter inch by about 3/8ths of an inch and almost a third of an inch by 3/8ths of an inch, for those of you who don't speak Canadian) and that the laws of physics would come into play, preventing either stone from exiting in the manner they seemed to be fantasizing about.

So, no, I'm not peeing in a hat and playing with it.

And so it went...with yours truly becoming less popular by the second.

Finally, I called my PCP to ask him how to speak Hospital. He told me to get names and phone numbers of the invisible yet all-powerful Hospitalists who were, it seems, able to issue all kinds of orders but who just didn't have the time to show up in my room.

I found the number of the Risk Management lady, explained that her co-workers were as messed up as a soup sandwich and almost instantly, the invisible hospitalist was at tbe foot of my bed, asking what take-home Rx's I wanted.

And I called my uro, who started laughing and proclaimed, "Some of those people are idiots! They screw up everything! And, by the way, no one notified me that you were admitted, so I certainly wasn't planning any procedure. I will issue discharge orders and when you escape, come here for a bladder instillation. No appointment needed. Just get here before 4:45 p.m."

(He told us that his aging father, an M.D. on staff there, had fallen and he (my uro) was concerned that a subdural hematoma was the cause of some of Dad's odd behavior. He, my uro, was ALSO an M.D. on staff there and was told he would have to "wait his turn." He said, "Watch this." He entered the ED area, found a buddy who went out to tbe waiting area, took one look and they took Dad, who in fact DID have a subdural, in for imaging and treatment. But if that's how two long time STAFF MEMBERS are treated, what chance do average mortals have?!)

Anyway...I had an instillation of Elmiron..not lidocaine...have a script for p.o. Dilaudid and Cipro. I hope the gods of c diff are in hibernation.

Oh...and for those of you who don't want to live through this...Uro Cit K...10-15 meq...tid.

EDITED...again, because meqs are not mgs.

Last edited:
Based on the egotistical assumption that I should get to vote on whether I would be having said unnamed "procedure," I refused the IV and, while the someones stood around, I picked up the phone, called Mr. Sue, and quite audibly requested that he bring a small thermos of coffee, a couple of protein bars and, dammit, I forgot to ask for some string cheese. The somebodys looked rather .

OK now this is the @Spiky Bugger we are used to!!

Yes, I was "admitted"...then someone forgot to tell anyone else I was admitted...so I languished in the ED forever...then someone decided that my uro--who was never told I was there--was planning to do "a procedure"...so suddenly I was In A Room, NPO and someone else was dragging in an IV with saline for hydration.

Based on the egotistical assumption that I should get to vote on whether I would be having said unnamed "procedure," I refused the IV and, while the someones stood around, I picked up the phone, called Mr. Sue, and quite audibly requested that he bring a small thermos of coffee, a couple of protein bars and, dammit, I forgot to ask for some string cheese. The somebodys looked rather astonished.

Meanwhile, another someone saw the words "kidney stones." So she marched in with a "hat" for urine collection and a strainer to collect pieces of said stones. I started laughing. "Have you SEEN the radiology report?" I inquired. Well, no. Nobody had looked at that.

I pointed out that it said that there was no stone blocking the ureter--ergo, no need to rush into ANY "procedure"--and that the two stones mentioned were 6 mm x 11 mm and 8 mm x 11 mm (about a quarter inch by about 3/8ths of an inch and almost a third of an inch by 3/8ths of an inch, for those of you who don't speak Canadian) and that the laws of physics would come into play, preventing either stone from exiting in the manner they seemed to be fantasizing about.

So, no, I'm not peeing in a hat and playing with it.

And so it went...with yours truly becoming less popular by the second.

Finally, I called my PCP to ask him how to speak Hospital. He told me to get names and phone numbers of the invisible yet all-powerful Hospitalists who were, it seems, able to issue all kinds of orders but who just didn't have the time to show up in my room.

I found the number of the Risk Management lady, explained that her co-workers were as messed up as a soup sandwich and almost instantly, the invisible hospitalist was at tbe foot of my bed, asking what take-home Rx's I wanted.

And I called my uro, who started laughing and proclaimed, "Some of those people are idiots! They screw up everything! And, by the way, no one notified me that you were admitted, so I certainly wasn't planning any procedure. I will issue discharge orders and when you escape, come here for a bladder instillation. No appointment needed. Just get here before 4:45 p.m."

(He told us that his aging father, an M.D. on staff there, had fallen and he (my uro) was concerned that a subdural hematoma was the cause of some of Dad's odd behavior. He, my uro, was ALSO an M.D. on staff there and was told he would have to "wait his turn." He said, "Watch this." He entered the ED area, found a buddy who went out to tbe waiting area, took one look and they took Dad, who in fact DID have a subdural, in for imaging and treatment. But if that's how two long time STAFF MEMBERS are treated, what chance do average mortals have?!)

Anyway...I had an instillation of Elmiron..not lidocaine...have a script for p.o. Dilaudid and Cipro. I hope the gods of c diff are in hibernation.

Oh...and for those of you who don't want to live through this...Uro Cit K...10-15 mg...tid.

Your essay ought to be required reading for all staff at all hospitals.

I hadn't chimed in because I have nothing helpful to add (and all the sympathy in the world isn't fixing all of that mess) but I know you also take the urocit-k for kidney stones. I take 8 of the 15meq tablets a day, and it can cause a burn sensation pooping, and I'm wondering if there is a chance it can be irritating the bladder. Not like you can just omit it, but maybe temporarily?

Yay for dilaudid and elmiron - I hope you feel better fast.

I hadn't chimed in because I have nothing helpful to add (and all the sympathy in the world isn't fixing all of that mess) but I know you also take the urocit-k for kidney stones. I take 8 of the 15meq tablets a day, and it can cause a burn sensation pooping, and I'm wondering if there is a chance it can be irritating the bladder. Not like you can just omit it, but maybe temporarily?

Yay for dilaudid and elmiron - I hope you feel better fast.

EIGHT?!

She's A-L-I-V-E!

How are you feeling?

Still pissed...lol.

The bladder instillation might be working. I've only taken a total of 4mg of Dilaudid in over 24 hours. And no Vicodin, which is amazing because I endured four hours in a car today, and that always hurts like hell.

But we "lunched" (at $7.95 for a cup of coffee, "lunch" becomes a verb) at a nice L.A. landmark we hadn't visited in a while.

@Spiky isn't Dilaudid great?! Thy are take me off a little at a time. I was taking 8mg every 4 hours. Now I'm down to every 6 hours. They will take it all away and get me on oxycodone within the next 6 months. Glad you're feeling a tad bit better. $7.95 for coffee my darn cup would have to have been edible.

Sorry to read of your whole dilemma Spiky. Hope you're on the mend. Dilaudid is fecking awesome!!

Latest posts

Back