RE-UPDATED: Dear People Who Took Science Classes...

Dang darling. Hope the dilaudid comes soon (I Love me some dilaudid) and you are better. Tell them about you cramping and such as well so maybe you can get a potassium infusion or something else .

Yes, narcotics, the silver lining on the black cloud of the kidney stone. Get those labs done while you're there, too.
I am kind of looking forward to my hernia repair, just so I can get some Dilaudid. :p

I don't sound like too much of a loser do i? :D

Seriously though, Demerol and Dilaudid are the only pain killers that have ever really worked for me and you can't get Demerol anymore.

Since you are back in the state... I just learned recently that my hospital has a very successful program that treats pelvic floor dysfunctions like, oh, interstitial cystitis and such. Will your insurance allow you to cross the Orange Curtain and see the folks at St. Jude? If so, and if you are interested I can get you links to get you started in checking out what's available.

Hope the ER is keeping you appropriately loopy.

Since you are back in the state... I just learned recently that my hospital has a very successful program that treats pelvic floor dysfunctions like, oh, interstitial cystitis and such. Will your insurance allow you to cross the Orange Curtain and see the folks at St. Jude? If so, and if you are interested I can get you links to get you started in checking out what's available.

Hope the ER is keeping you appropriately loopy.

I'm golden on insurance. Thanks.

So...no wonder I'm confused. I've hit the Trifecta:
Yes, stones, but no blockage; and,
Yes, a real UTI this time; and,
Yes, the IC is angry about all of it and resents any urine in the bladder!

Now...I must hope that the IV abx don't add another round of c diff to the mix.

That's just too much party for this old broad.

I am surprised the doctor didn't choose a loop sparing diuretic like Aldactone instead. With your malabsorption issues I would have thought this would be a no brainier decision for him/her. My guess is that you are not only low on potassium from your diuretic, but possibly sodium as well. The drug works by using sodium as a sponge for serum fluids, and both the fluids AND sodium are excreted by your kidneys, along with your precious potassium. The muscle cramping is a classic sign of dehydration and/or electrolyte imbalances. Yes, even though you have too much fluid in your vascular system due to cardiac insufficiency, you probably have too little in your tissues. I'm also curious about your heart rate and rhythm. While 50-60% occlusion is certainly not ideal by any means, I've seen folks with far worse who were asymptomatic. Of course it depends on which coronary arteries are involved. But there can be other reasons for CHF, and I just want to be sure all possibilities have been considered. You give much to people here almost every day Spiky. I'm so sorry you're having these difficulties. :(

Will, you always provide a wealth of information. I must go study all of this. Thanks!

Well then...ten hours ago, I shuffled into this joint...peed in a jar, waited, got poked for a blood draw, and...three hours after arriving, I got into a room in the ED.

I had a CAT scan, waited some more.

Doctor said that it would be best if I were admitted. They could control the pain and get IV abx which would be more effective and the uro could see me in the morning.

That was about four hours ago.

It's fucking morning!

Four in the morning.

And I am still in the Emergency Dept...and the abx have not yet been started...and I'm thinking about getting cranky. Because I HAVE abx at home and food and my own pillows.

This is NOT a crappy little hospital. It's not a trauma center, but it has over 500 beds and a decent reputation.

I seem to have slipped through the cracks.

Last edited:
Well then...ten hours ago, I shuffled into this joint...peed in a jar, waited, got poked for a blood draw, and...three hours after arriving, I got into a room.

I had a CAT scan, waited some more.

Doctor said that it would be best if I were admitted. They could control the pain and get IV abx which would be more effective and the uro could see me in the morning.

That was about four hours ago.

It's fucking morning!

Four in the morning.

And I am still in the Emergency Dept...and the abx have not yet been started...and I'm thinking about getting cranky. Because I HAVE abx at home and food and my own pillows.

This is NOT a crappy little hospital. It's not a trauma center, but it has over 500 beds and a decent reputation.

I seem to have slipped through the cracks.
Unfortunately that is typical of an er and getting admitted. This coming from a guy who has a son who has been in the er at least 30 times the last five years and I have been there myself somewhere between 5-10 times....and often a large hospital is the worst at waiting for a bed. I hope they are at least keeping you full of happy juice.

Best wishes for a hastened sense of urgency by the hospital for your care, my fair lady.

I'm so sorry to hear you were hospitalized Spiky but am hopeful you'll get this ship righted all the way now. Sometimes being admitted is best because it gives time for the nurses to figure out what's really going on with you. People mistakenly believe that doctors perform this function, but they most surely do not. While doctors will float by on a fast moving conveyor belt giving you a quick physical and asking a few basic questions, a good nurse will spend the time reviewing your labs, vital signs, LISTENING to you describe what's going on, and then packaging this info in a neat little bundle for the doctors consumption. They will then prescribe treatment based heavily on the nurses provided information. Here's hoping that you get a great group of nurses caring for you while you're there. And please remember that the squeaky wheel really does get the grease! Speak up long and loudly to be sure you're having your needs met. By the way, the ER charges a higher rate for services than a regular hospital floor. My hospital was fined $3 million because it was fibbing about the amount of time patients spent in the ER, moving them to the floor physically while billing as if they were in the ER still. If you were standing in a totally empty ER, you would still wait hours to go to the floor. It's sad but true. Get lots of rest and I hope you're feeling better really soon!
:sunwaking15:

Ya know...when you call the risk mgmt office at the hospital with a list of their fuck-ups...suddenly, the hospitalist who was too busy to see you is at the foot of your bed and then off writing discharge orders.

Some of us got mad skillz, eh?

Latest posts

Back