Pre-op labs

Cat, of course you don't want to cancel your surgery. you really really don't want to - that would be true of anyone.

but do it anyway.

any surgery is a risk and this is a MAJOR surgery, even done lap. don't go into it like this.

I agree with the others you should delay your surgery until you have been worked up AND treated for the anemia. I had a lap DS and my Hb went from 140 to 115 after the surgery alone. Then because I didn't absorb any oral iron after surgery I needed iron infusions beginning in the year after my DS. Optimize your health before your DS.

I just had plastics. I meet with my hematologist before my plastics so that we could make sure my iron was in a good place. We did 2 infusions before my hemoglobin was a 13 going into surgery. My ferratin was well over 80 possibly higher due to the infusions. My surgeon closed everything up nothing looked wrong. I had a blood vessel pop and started bleeding internally. This is no joke to make sure you get your iron in a good place. The nurse who called my hubby told him I would not make it. Both my plastic surgeon and I are pretty damn sure if not for being on top of things before hand that nurse would have been right. Given I still needed 8 units of blood and 2 units of platelets. No matter how well a surgeon tires things off and cauterizes all it takes is one to pop for things to go badly. Try the best to stack the odds in your favor.

Well, my dear sweet husband just reminded me of something really vitally important. I wasn't THINKING CLEARLY when my iron was low. My focus wasn't on what was important. He reminded me that when they brought in my blood for the transfusion, that I was incoherent and refused to sign for the blood. I was THAT out of it. And my levels were where YOURS ARE NOW.

Yes, I'm yelling. Because I know you are not thinking right, because your iron is too low.

Yeah, I have been kind of hiding away. I think I will be fine. As the surgeon told me, I'm not really that anemic yet, just iron deficient. I need iron, which I will be getting. My clotting is fine, my hemoglobin is on the low side of normal but still normal. I will be fine, barring any unexpected complications not related to the iron.

Latest posts

Back