Post op care.

Welcome @Mandy :) I was in the hospital for 6 days after surgery. I didn't have any complications per se, just was feeling very weak and something about my amylase levels being off. The off level caused the 5th day stay, went home mid-day day 6. For me, that was the right amount of time as I don't think I could have handled home sooner. The main thing I needed help with was standing from a laying position, or getting up since it was definitely felt in my abdomen. Also couldn't bend to do the litter box. Other than that, 24/7 care probably isn't needed, but maybe a couple checks throughout the day.

You are far tougher than me.

I feel very lucky to have recovered as well as I did. I did prefer being in the hotel room to being in the hospital, though, which is Dr Gagner's general care model for Day 2 onwards. The bed in the hospital and my back didn't agree, though having the warm saline bags made for a good heat pack. I generally slept on the recliner, but I'm sure the nurses wanted to strangle me for all the back and forth between bed and recliner!

I had surgery on the Tuesday, and on Saturday I was out braving -25C temperatures, windchill and the snow in Montreal sightseeing for about four or five hours with my best girlfriend who'd flown in to meet me. I can only assume it was the pain killers, as the week after when I made it to New York and was back on Tylenol I felt absolutely drained and exhausted, and fell asleep in a movie theatre while out with a friend.

TLDR: Everyone is different, and our experiences can only be a guide to those who are about to join the losers bench about what some of the possibilities might be!

Welcome and congrats! I won't tell you how long I was in hospital and needed help lol as it didn't go to plan ;) You will do great!

Some people bounce back quick after a general anaesthetic....I feel loop and drugged for over a month. Its a YMMV type thing :)

I was 4 nights in the hospital and I gotta tell ya, it was nice to be hooked up to a dilaudid PCA for the majority of the time. My procedure was open and I found it very painful. I would stay in the hospital as long as your doctor offers it.

I feel very fortunate. I had surgery (DS) on a Friday and was home Sunday afternoon. My husband had to help my tie my shoes because I couldn't bend over so well, but other than that I was pretty self sufficient. I think all the up and down stairs and trips to get water helped me get moving better... I was going on walks through the neighborhood Tuesday after surgery. I took pain meds 2 times a day just to nap and sleep at night (I'm a rough sleeper, so pain would wake me after tossing and turning). For a couple of days but was done with them by the end of that first week.

I think if you listen to your body you'll be fine.

I was 4 nights in the hospital and I gotta tell ya, it was nice to be hooked up to a dilaudid PCA for the majority of the time. My procedure was open and I found it very painful. I would stay in the hospital as long as your doctor offers it.
This.... No open for me but I couldn't eat or drink and was nauseous

Latest posts

Back