PLEASE PRAY FOR TOOT

I wouldn't be surprised if, subconsciously, anyway his being a black child had something to do with it. Sorry, not trying to stir arguments, but it's hard not to think about the possibility of, even unconscious, prejudice operating in the minds of medical staff that would send a child that ill back home. I am not medically trained but an X ray strikes me as a no brainer. Anyway, glad it's over.

Nothing makes me madder than to see any child suffer! I will be the first to admit that we live in a GD screwed up world sometimes, but even I would find it hard to believe that anyone would purposefully let any child suffer. Maybe I’m being naïve, but the medical staff sees 100’s of people over reacting and using the ER for basic care, and yes, they should have NEVER done what they did, but, a prejudice thing? I find that hard to believe, plus, a lot of the ER people were probably black too. You never flippin know though, not for sure.

actually in the whole entire big Children's Hospital I did not see one black person except in the kitchen.

having said that I don't believe it was the reason treated that way because of the fact that he was black because the staff was very caring and nice and accommodating it's just doctors probably see young mothers in their worried all the time and felt like so they're probably over exaggerating

Nothing makes me madder than to see any child suffer! I will be the first to admit that we live in a GD screwed up world sometimes, but even I would find it hard to believe that anyone would purposefully let any child suffer. Maybe I’m being naïve, but the medical staff sees 100’s of people over reacting and using the ER for basic care, and yes, they should have NEVER done what they did, but, a prejudice thing? I find that hard to believe, plus, a lot of the ER people were probably black too. You never flippin know though, not for sure.

Racial biases in medical diagnoses and treatment are rampant. Prejucide can operate subconsciously. It's hardest to imagine it operating in the treatment of children, ; I agree. So it's generally not like medical personnel consciously think "let's not care for the black/latino/etc. child the way we would for a white child". It's an unconscious bias that prioritizes dominant groups, at times even by minorities (internalized prejudice). Minorities can also prioritize dominant groups in this way. That's the sad(der) part.

I suggested it as a possibility, as this happens more frequently than we realize or want to admit. It's too jarring to accept some things about the world. I am not saying it definitely happened. As you said, it's hard to say with certainty.

You know....QUIETLY go get yourself approved as a foster parent. If the time ever comes that you need to drop a dime on your daughter to Child Protective Services, you will be in a position to take custody immediately. You just never know.

there is no downside to this that I can see, great idea Bugger! :love30:

Many people are utterly unaware of their biases, as well as of their places of privilege. *points a very gentle finger at your white maleness*

Mr. EN is one of the unaware types. He's a white guy who grew up solidly middle class but believing he was more than that, in the manner of his grandparents, who considered themselves very tolerant and genteel, I am sure. Most of the clan is riddled with racism and sense of privilege, and they would be brutally offended to read these words. It makes me nutty. (But then again, a lot of stuff about them makes me nutty lol.)

Racial biases in medical diagnoses and treatment are rampant. Prejucide can operate subconsciously. It's hardest to imagine it operating in the treatment of children, ; I agree. So it's generally not like medical personnel consciously think "let's not care for the black/latino/etc. child the way we would for a white child". It's an unconscious bias that prioritizes dominant groups, at times even by minorities (internalized prejudice). Minorities can also prioritize dominant groups in this way. That's the sad(der) part.

I suggested it as a possibility, as this happens more frequently than we realize or want to admit. It's too jarring to accept some things about the world. I am not saying it definitely happened. As you said, it's hard to say with certainty.

I'm sure it does happen. It just really pisses me off to think anyone, especially in a caregiver would take risks with a baby. My Wife is a very dark latina girl and I'm as white as bleached pasties..lol... Her family has been here since the 1800's and I'm completely oblivious to seeing her or thinking of us as a "mixed" couple. Everyonce in a while though, she will remind me, if we get a shitty waiter etc. My big ole dumb ass just thinks its a shitty waiter, but because she has had to live with the prejudice, she picks up on it right away, so, yeah, I do hear what your saying, I promise!!

Good news @Charris that Toot is back to being a happy hopefully healthy baby! I agree that any grand parent would have pushed to see their grandchild taken care of. This new generation of mothering seems to be a whole lot different than ours.

How are you doing with your pain management? Did it turn out to be Fibromyalgia?
Barb

Getting approved as a foster parent is very important. CPS does not have to turn over child to your care. Take the classes - hopefully, you won't need the certification.

Latest posts

Back