Not a rant, but don't want to post where outsiders can see

DianaCox

Bad Cop
Just being cautious - because I'm posting about being away from home, and I am having hinkey feelings about my stalker lately. And even though my kids will be at the house taking care of things.

But we're getting Sallie back from the shop on Tuesday or Wednesday, and Thursday AM we're heading back to Monterey for a few days. Wednesday is the 17th anniversary of the day we met (same day of the week too), and we almost forgot to make plans for our anniversary.

While Sallie has been in the shop, she has been getting a hella expensive upgrade to her suspension by installing a sway bar, which should stop most of the terrifying unsteadiness of our low-end RV, especially in wind and when trucks pass us. We experienced that in spades when we took our trip through mountains and desert last fall (San Jose to Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Sedona, then down to Phoenix and across 10 to Los Angeles, before heading home up the coast on 101).

As the advertisement for the sway bar we're getting says:

Does your vehicle handle like the Queen Mary? Does it pitch and roll with every gust of wind or passing semi, list to port or starboard on the curves, or waddle over speed bumps, railroad tracks and driveways?

Well, it shouldn't. As a matter of fact, motorhomes, SUVs, pickup trucks and vans can be made to handle just like what they are — motor vehicles — with two aftermarket upgrades.

Upgrading your shock absorbers will control up and down motion. But the best shocks in the world won't affect side to side sway by one iota.

The solution to sway is in the suspension. Adding a set of ROADMASTER Suspension Solutions anti-sway bars to your suspension system will have the same effect on sway as a good set of shocks has on up and down motion — there's an immediate improvement in stability and tracking, especially on the curves.

For many, this is an empowering experience. What was beyond their control, just yesterday, is suddenly within it — cornering with confidence, quicker maneuvering, and a remarkably level ride over uneven terrain — all without launching the dishes out of the cupboard. And even after eight or 10 hours at the wheel, they arrive fresh, instead of fatigued, which means they can start enjoying the Grand Canyon, the Grand Tetons, or the grandkids right away.

How could one component have such a dramatic effect? Choose your vehicle type to find out:Trucks, Vans and SUVs or Motorhomes.

Read what ROADMASTER customers say about this product...
“I had the (anti-sway) bars installed and the results were dramatic. The notorious Texas high plain winds could not unhook us from the highway and hard curves at 60 mph became routine. I seemed to have glass walls between myself and passing trucks. I was nothing less than thrilled with the sway bars at road speeds.”
Well, that pitching and rolling is exactly why I've been banished to riding in the dinette, well behind Charles, when he drives (because I can't stop from gasping in fear when I feel the wind or trucks blow us around), and why I'm terrified of learning to drive the rig myself, but I *KNOW* I have to learn how, not just to give Charles a break now and then, but for my own peace of mind - what if we were 1000 miles from home, and he broke a leg or got sick? That certainly was a problem on our trip in October, 3 weeks after he had his abdominoplasty - the driving exhausted him after each drive of 200-300 miles. So learning to drive it is on the agenda for this trip. If anyone lives or will be visiting around there, YOU ARE WARNED!

There are a couple of other things we could add to the rig to make the ride better as well, but we're going to wait and see if the sway bar is enough - the rig is 10 years old and we don't want to grossly over-improve it (plus, the costs are very significant, for less incremental benefit). We have to balance how difficult/unpleasant it is to drive against how much driving we are actually going to be doing. I'd LIKE to take a long trip in either the late spring or early fall (probably the latter, as we have to be on the east coast over Memorial Day weekend) to visit Yellowstone, Glacier, maybe Canada - in other words, hard driving. But after that, I'm not sure what we're going to want to do that is more than relatively local trips.

A bunch of other things are getting attended to as well - more in the nature of repairs rather than upgrades - the non-functional audiovisual system (including a tube TV) is getting repaired and slightly upgraded (we've been snaking a cable through a window and moving the little portable TV back and forth from the front of the rig to the dinette and watching at night from bed through the hall - but it will now be mounted to the wall in the bedroom where it is supposed to go, and a bigger but older sort-of flat screen we have will go in front - we SHOULD each be able to watch our own shows); the oven, which never worked, should be fixed, so we can do a little baking (it's fun to try on the campstove, but it is very inefficient and uses WAY too much propane to use the BBQ box as an oven); the leaky battery is getting fixed; the broken porch light is getting fixed; the new mirror to replace the broken one on the passenger side is fixed; and a few other little things. And before we took it in, Charles swapped out the faucet in the bathroom for a compact sink faucet with a hose that reaches the toilet - both for bidet purposes, and to make it easier to clean the toilet (with DS poop and an older rig, proper care of the bathroom issues includes making sure the pipes are kept very very clean :poop:). It will make this next trip more pleasant.

We're going to bring our bikes again - and this time (since our kids won't be with us), i hope we can ride them more. We can go into Monterery, and maybe go to the aquarium again. And have a romantic dinner or two :11 3 3v:- we have had a rough year that has finally started to smooth out, and that needs to be gratefully acknowledged.

And all of these are, of course, things that would have been impossible if I had not had my DS. And BOTH of us have lost a lot of weight and gotten healthier over the last 11.5 years (Thursday will be my "half-surgiversary").

First, congratulations on your demisurgiversary!

I'd be frightened to drive an RV too at first, but suspect that with just a bit of practice that you will find yourself quite comfortable in doing so. Sounds like Sallie is becoming more and more a place for glamping vs. camping!

Many happy voyages to you!

Happy anniversary and half surgiversary (we have the same date!) I loved Monterrey and especially that aquarium. Hope it's as romantical as can be! :hug:

Snug as bugs inside the RV - because it is pouring and winding outside, but that's just fine (Pineapple Express - so not cold). We didn't bring the bikes, since we knew the weather was going to make it unlikely we could use them much if at all. I did work this morning and then had a leisure afternoon in Monterey.

The ride in the RV was better - dunno if it was worth the $$$ we spent, but for the relatively short (75 mile) drive, it was noticeable. It still bounces and jounces though. The shocks are supposedly still OK, but maybe it needs new ones (the repair guy said it wasn't necessary - they weren't broken or leaking). I still haven't tried driving it.

The TVs are working properly though, for the first time. But now the fridge is acting up. We'll see if wiggling the temp slide resets it.

But it doesn't matter - I'm having a great time!

that sounds very cozy, glad you are having fun!

the rain actually made it all the way over the mountain to Carson City - we got over an inch! that is the first time it wasn't just sprinkles since I moved here.

wow, having a dirt yard really sucks when it rains.

Snug as bugs inside the RV - because it is pouring and winding outside, but that's just fine (Pineapple Express - so not cold). We didn't bring the bikes, since we knew the weather was going to make it unlikely we could use them much if at all. I did work this morning and then had a leisure afternoon in Monterey.

The ride in the RV was better - dunno if it was worth the $$$ we spent, but for the relatively short (75 mile) drive, it was noticeable. It still bounces and jounces though. The shocks are supposedly still OK, but maybe it needs new ones (the repair guy said it wasn't necessary - they weren't broken or leaking). I still haven't tried driving it.

The TVs are working properly though, for the first time. But now the fridge is acting up. We'll see if wiggling the temp slide resets it.

But it doesn't matter - I'm having a great time!

Awesome Diana! Congratulations and happy anniversary! BTW...we've been RV'rs too...since about 2003. We sold ours about a yr ago and am planning to get another one in a yr or two when I get closer to retire.

@JackieOnLine That is a flippin COOL gif? How do you guys add those? I love the dancing bacon one too and havent figured out how to ad them, and...Im pretty tech savy too, just dont get that???

Awesome Diana! Congratulations and happy anniversary! BTW...we've been RV'rs too...since about 2003. We sold ours about a yr ago and am planning to get another one in a yr or two when I get closer to retire.

@JackieOnLine That is a flippin COOL gif? How do you guys add those? I love the dancing bacon one too and havent figured out how to ad them, and...Im pretty tech savy too, just dont get that???
We sold our popup this fall...full discloser to a friend who was upgrading from camping on the ground. We are taking a break but next year, once we are sure it won't break the bank, we plan on getting a travel trailer so we can go back out on the road.

Okay, @robs477
IF you look across the top of the post box, you will see a B for bold, I for Italics, etc... the 7th one from the end is a smilie. Click on it. That opens a menu at the bottom of the post. With categories.
Original is what came with the software.
Popular are the ones I've found are wanted most often.
Welcome is obvious
Angry
Signs
Patriotic (not just the US, I did find some Canadian and UK ones.
Groups
Birthday
Aminals
Activities (that's where the RV gif was located)
Seasonal
And then the most common holidays.

Click on the catagory and let it load, you will have to scroll to see all put the Original ones. And then just click on the smilie you want.

:th youknow:

Congrats on the anniversaries! That sounds like a lovely way to celebrate.

Amen to the things being easier with the weight loss - especially in an RV! None of them are as roomy as a real house, and our little road wart is only 23 ft, so some things like the bathroom are over the top cozy. When the toilet, shower and sink of the bathroom are all in a spot about the size of a casket, I'm lucky they never needed to get the jaws of life to cut through a wall to get me out when I was fat.

We took surfing lessons not long ago in Monterey, and while it was cold (they give you wet suits, but still) it was incredibly fun, and a good workout. Wiping out and starting over, again and again is apparently great exercise. I don't think I was ever up more than a few seconds, but it was worth the experience. It was a beautiful sunny 70 degree winter day, and I assume it nicer than that there now.

Surfing?? You're braver (and younger) than we are (and then there's the minor thing that Charles doesn't know how to swim). I hate cold water too - so I'm not likely to want to even try to wriggle into a wet suit anyway. But GOOD ON YA!! It was in the high 60s today - we walked around and looked at tourist crap, and then came back to the RV, where I'm doing a version of beef burgundy in the dutch oven on the camp stove, and getting ready to sit in front of a fire in the chiminea (it has been raining the last two nights, so we didn't get to build a fire or cook outdoors before this).

I was lucky enough to go RVing with your fine self. It was a wonderful experience. I can't wait to get to spoil you when you eventually come and visit me.

I was lucky enough to go RVing with your fine self. It was a wonderful experience. I can't wait to get to spoil you when you eventually come and visit me.
I hope that will happen someday soon!

By the way, tell your genius David that it was not his fault that he could not get the TV to work in the back - there was something disconnected somewhere, and we just paid to get it fixed - and now it works!

I will pass this on to David. Anyway he was high on s'mores....as if it mattered!

Latest posts

Back