Newbie:)

Amy Anderson

Hi, I'm Amy. I'm 38 years old and looking at WLS in Mexico due to the fact that I don't have the money to do it in the US and my insurance costs a metric crap ton but doesn't cover much.

I'm researching. I'm researching. I'm researching.

I have three young kids (5,8,9) and have been married to my best friend for ten years. I'm scared of surgery, especially in Mexico, but I'm way way way more scared of a future with obesity related complications and health issues. If I have a great result with my WLS, I'm hoping my husband will get one in a year or two. I'd love for us to go into our 40's with our weight under control and a healthy future ahead. I don't have to be a skinny minnie, but I really want to reduce my risk of poor health (though I'd never turn down being skinny if a genie grants my wish). :)

Hi, I'm Amy. I'm 38 years old and looking at WLS in Mexico due to the fact that I don't have the money to do it in the US and my insurance costs a metric crap ton but doesn't cover much.

I'm researching. I'm researching. I'm researching.

I have three young kids (5,8,9) and have been married to my best friend for ten years. I'm scared of surgery, especially in Mexico, but I'm way way way more scared of a future with obesity related complications and health issues. If I have a great result with my WLS, I'm hoping my husband will get one in a year or two. I'd love for us to go into our 40's with our weight under control and a healthy future ahead. I don't have to be a skinny minnie, but I really want to reduce my risk of poor health (though I'd never turn down being skinny if a genie grants my wish). :)
Was same for me, I have insurance but does not cover bariatric surgery. After researching and learning there was an excellent dr in Mexicali, Dr. Esquerra, with a good track record who learned under another excellent surgeon I was so encouraged. I liked what I found and went for it in June. I'm older than you, 58 then, and I did great. No regrets at all and I have no hesitation recommending Dr. Esquerra and his staff. At that time it was $11,000.00 total, less than half of what most US self pay is.

Welcome! You've come to the right place for well informed advice from people who have been there done that.
Going to a foreign country sounds much more scary than it really is. The key is to go to the right surgeon, someone with experience with your surgery, working in a clean, modern hospital, with a solid reputation. We tend to think our country has the monopoly on good medical care. Nothing could be further from the truth - there is good and bad care everywhere, you just have to do your research, as you are doing.

I went to Dr. Esquerra too and it looks like you found my long post on it on Duckman's thread.

Take a deep breath, I had exactly the same feelings as you: scared of surgery, even more scared of being obese forever and had crappy insurance that would cover less than 1/3.

Dr. Esquerra was a great solution for me, happy I did it, happy NOT to have the 6 month wait of insurance.

Hi and welcome @Amy Anderson! I assume you are a lightweight (among the bariatric crowd), given preference for a sleeve. There are a couple of other light weights here - @southernlady is one who comes immediately to mind. Hope it all works out and look forward to following your journey.

Welcome Amy. The ladies are spot on and are live testimonials for Mexicali and Dr Esquerra.

Welcome aboard! I'm fairly set on Mexico if Aetna doesn't cover me in Washington. Lots of people here seem to have had great success with it.

I really like that they keep you in the hospital for days after the surgery.

Latest posts

Back