Need help with vite dosage for a normie

Charlee

My mom is a normie - no malabsorption issues. She's 74 and has osteopenia - had breast cancer & radiation 10+ years ago then took Tamoxifen & Arimidex, so her bones, while not honeycombed, are not in the best shape. And a couple of her meds cause constipation, so she needs the mag ox.

Standard calcium citrate dose for a normie is 1200mg/day (2 doses of 600). Should she take more than that?
How much K2 per day or per dose? I've seen 50mcg and 180mcg and some other number I can't remember.

Which would be a better combo?
Vitalady's Cal/Mag/D3 + K2 & Boron?
Separate calcium citrate with 1 mag ox and 1 mag cit + Boron & K2?

@MajorMom

My mum is also a normie with osteoporosis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. She saw me go from being in a great deal of pain and struggling to walk 18 months ago to fighting fit by turning my labs around. She refuses to bother her doc to get her D tested and they are clueless. She has however started taking supplements for the first time in her life.
I have got her on 50,000iu Biotech once a week, 2 doses of Calcium citrate per day along with magnesium citrate and K2.
She has already noticed a difference in how she feels and I would like to increase her D but I wont do that until she gets tested!

Sorry I'm late. I would go with Vitalady's calcium citrate only rather than the combo, and take a magnesium citrate capsule and boron with each dose. When I was first diagnosed with osteoporosis my doc said double your calcium. I think that must be what they tell normies. She also wanted me to increase my D3 but she didn't know how much I was already taking and that my labs were right at 100 for D3. I like kirstabelle's recommendation of 500 mcg of K2 for a normie. I take 600 mcg a day. 50,000 IUs of dry D3. Everything you can get in capsule form is better. The older we get the harder it is for our systems to absorb.

Since she's a normie, is it ok for her to take the softgel K2? It's cheaper than the Biotech version by quite a bit. Is the 'dry' version more bioavailable in general or just better for us altered guts people? I don't mind paying more, but if it's equally absorbable for her, no point.

Sorry I'm late.

LOL Glad you aren't the LATE Gina. ;-) So many 'new' DS places - I forget to check them all and can't keep up with who is active where.

Thanks for the info, as always. I'm making the giant stockup 3 months worth order and realized I had no idea about normie dosage. HAH! I'll pay more for capsules, especially to replace the huge horsepills like calcium & multis. Or for things that come loose in a bottle instead of those bloody damned double layer blister packs. Those are the devil!

Latest posts

Back