Combos and Contraindications

DuodenalSwitchaRoo

Taking a long scenic route!
I've just spent 2 hours searching all the FB groups and here, frustratingly you cannot have search terms shorter than 3 characters is limiting. I have a question and it makes me feel like an attention whore so sorry if Im asking redundant questions. I honestly DID search for the answer myself.

D3, is calcium, right? But calcium citrate is also calcium. (yes, I AM THIS DUMB!) On my labs my calcium was going down from the labs 3 months prior. Im still in normal range but I'd like to stop this rock before it becomes a landslide. I now have some K2 100mcg that I would like to take with my calcium to up the chance of getting to mah bones and not living in my arteries. So my question is, do I take the K2 with the D3 or the CC or BOTH?

I've been doing vitaladys DS schedule but now Im ready to tackle my vits like I know my shit (I don't lol)

In the AM Im taking my C, Iron and Copper as soon as I awake so that it can do its stuff during my morning drill so I don't have to worry about avoiding foods or drinks. They have their own organiser so they live in my bedside table.

And I now know, Zinc should be taken with A & E. Lordy, it's like a puzzle isn't it? My Zinc was also low, but my copper was not high so not due to that, its probably because I was taking my zinc with a crapload of calcium, the bully!

I'm also discontinuing my B complex for a while and Im going to invest in some individual Thiamine and Riboflavon as its hard to go toxic with those and its really bad news if they are low.

So, do I take my K2 with D3, Cal-Mag combo? Can I take all 3 together? Is it better to split the k2 into 3 doses and take one with each Cal/mag?

Sorry Im so damned annoying, but as sick as it sounds......Im really starting to get into the hows and whys of all the vits I need. I actually impressed the NUT with my vit knowledge and it has increased 10 fold since I saw her!

Thanks for any help and wisdom you may bestow upon me.

PS-Ive already printed VL K2 report, but it doesn't answer when, where and what to take it with lol.

Love you guys...seriously!

Last edited:
oh and to add Im stopping my b-complex because my folate is pretty high (as is my B12) but high folate can mask low B12...so yeah. Its a mess up in my blood lol.

I take my K2 with my calcium and D.
Okay, Calcium and D are not the same...
Calcium Citraite is the calcium salt of citric acid.
D is Cholecalciferol (also known as toxiferol) is a form of vitamin D, also called vitamin D3.
It is structurally similar to steroids such as testosterone, cholesterol, and cortisol (though vitamin D3 itself is a secosteriod ).

Vitamin D helps with the absorption of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphate, and zinc.

Having high B12 is NOT a problem...mine has been OVER 2000 for over 20 years and with NO extra supplementation. I keep getting told to stop my B12 but you can't stop what you aren't taking. It's low B12 that is dangerous. And high B6 is AS dangerous as low B12. High B6 and Low B12 both can cause permanent nerve damage.

Thanks for the clarification :)

Im not worried about the High B12, Im worried about it being low but showing high because of the high folate. :)

So to recap lol. I can take my K2 with my D3 AND my Cal/Mag :) I have my cal and mag 3 x's a day. My D3 only once. Do I take the K2 with each dose of Cal/Mag or do I just take it with the D3, Cal Mag dose?

Sorry its so complicated ll

Hey!

Vitamin D3 is essential to absorb calcium.

Summary:
1. Vitamin D is manufactured by both plants and animals. Vitamin D3 is particularly found on the skin of animals, as a byproduct of synthesis.
2. Vitamin D is not beneficial in all its forms. Vitamin D2, one of the forms of vitamin D can be toxic to the body. Vitamin D3 is good for the body.
3. You can get vitamin D from fortified foods or as pills. However, vitamin D3 is only available in the form of pills or in liquids. They are rarely found in foods.
4. Supplements for the two vitamins are sourced differently.
5. The D2 form of the vitamin has a shorter shelf life compared to the D3 form.

Read more: Difference Between Vitamin D and Vitamin D3 | Difference Between | Vitamin D vs Vitamin D3 http://www.differencebetween.net/science/difference-between-vitamin-d-and-vitamin-d3/#ixzz3Gcz5Gd81

What Vitamin D3 Does in the Body
  • You need vitamin D3 to properly absorb calcium. You also need D3 to help your body build strong and healthy bones. This is especially the case during developmental years, but all through life you need D3 to remain healthy. Another function vitamin D3 fulfills is reducing inflammation in the body and building the immune system. Vitamin D3 is important for your overall health and well-being.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_5036286_vitamin-d.html

What is calcium citrate?

Calcium is a mineral that is found naturally in foods. Calcium is necessary for many normal functions of your body , especially bone formation and maintenance. Calcium can also bind to other minerals (such as phosphate) and aid in their removal from the body.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/calcium-citrate.html

Thanks for the clarification :)

Im not worried about the High B12, Im worried about it being low but showing high because of the high folate. :)

So to recap lol. I can take my K2 with my D3 AND my Cal/Mag :) I have my cal and mag 3 x's a day. My D3 only once. Do I take the K2 with each dose of Cal/Mag or do I just take it with the D3, Cal Mag dose?

Sorry its so complicated ll
I was told to take 4 of the K2 (mine is the 150 mgs so 4 is 600 mgs) http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/i-have-osteoperosis-now.906/#post-12433

" In the AM Im taking my C, Iron and Copper as soon as I awake so that it can do its stuff during my morning drill so I don't have to worry about avoiding foods or drinks. They have their own organiser so they live in my bedside table."

I take mine like this before I go to sleep so that I can take my thyroid pill in the morning, then wait half an hour to eat.

I am taking my B's every other day, instead of every day. Almost all of mine were high.

Sounds like you are doing a great job with the vitamins!

Here is VitaLady's schedule off the web:

upload_2014-10-19_22-4-45.png
I have not been able to find anybody else that publishes a detailed schedule.

I don't know the science behind it (yet) but I do know that bariatric calcium combo pills have D, K, Magnesium and zinc included. I think (other than the zinc) they help each other digest. The half life of most vitamins is in the range of days or weeks. For example, Vitamin D is about 2 weeks according Wikipedia. That means that if you are diligent about taking your vitamins, there will generally be enough floating around your system that you don't have to worry about the exact ratios on any given hour. Of course it doesn't hurt to be sure, but it probably isn't worrying about unless you are running into bad blood tests.

I asked a separate question about B vitamins once and got the impression that many DS'ers don't take any extra B vitamins other than what comes in the mulitis.

So far, my favorite areas to dig in and research are: https://vitalady.com/faq/ and http://asmbs.org/resources/integrated-health-nutritional-guidelines.

Thank :) I already know Vitalady's schedule inside and out :)

I'm now tweaking it according to my labs :) I am taking extra B vits that you cannot (or it is difficult to) overdose on: B1, B2 and B12. For some reason I am wayyyy up on my Folate (B9)....which is odd as I was deficient in it post VSG. My body is WEIRD lol. I also know some can go high in B6, which can become toxic quickly so I'd rather not do that.

I'm more interested in getting the most bang for my Calcium buck so to speak. I've now split up my vits, taking 6 doses a day and adding K2, 2 x's a day with my cal/mag citrate and D3. I've got enough debilitating issues without adding risk for broken bones :)

Hi Roo! I understand wanting to get the most for the money, etc. But it's always better to take them than not! Some people make this supplement thing amazingly complex and there IS a valid reason to learn more. However I fear some analyze it so much that it all seems impossibly difficult.

It's always better to take the pills than not!

Hi Roo! I understand wanting to get the most for the money, etc. But it's always better to take them than not! Some people make this supplement thing amazingly complex and there IS a valid reason to learn more. However I fear some analyze it so much that it all seems impossibly difficult.

It's always better to take the pills than not!

Im not doing anything to save money ( I wish, its actually costing MORE lol ) Im trying to work out why my folate is high is all. Not over analysing, I don't think lol. The only thing I will be not taking is B6 and B9 (folate). And it is temporary until I can sort it out. My main concern right now is my calcium and d and they are trending down already. I see my GP at the end of Oct and I will be smiling pretty and batting my eyelashes and asking to be referred to a hemo, or at least an endo.

I almost chickened out of having the DS because deficiencies scare the crap out of me. Do you know how many days I have missed of my vits since a month out? Zero. I have taken the full vitalady recommendations since 1 month post DS. I take this very seriously because it was a concern for me pre op. I have enough health issues for 10 people already and Im only 36, I don't want any more :(

Im not doing anything to save money ( I wish, its actually costing MORE lol ) Im trying to work out why my folate is high is all. Not over analysing, I don't think lol. The only thing I will be not taking is B6 and B9 (folate). And it is temporary until I can sort it out. My main concern right now is my calcium and d and they are trending down already. I see my GP at the end of Oct and I will be smiling pretty and batting my eyelashes and asking to be referred to a hemo, or at least an endo.

I almost chickened out of having the DS because deficiencies scare the crap out of me. Do you know how many days I have missed of my vits since a month out? Zero. I have taken the full vitalady recommendations since 1 month post DS. I take this very seriously because it was a concern for me pre op. I have enough health issues for 10 people already and Im only 36, I don't want any more :(
Please don't think I was criticizing because I wasn't!

Roo, remember, there are factors to osteo that can NOT be controlled. While you can control your vitamins, you can not control age, sex, family history, etc. So while trying your best to avoid issues, do NOT beat yourself up if you get them anyway. It is very possible that you would have gotten it without surgery at all.

Latest posts

Back