Confused Newbie overwhelmed interpreting labs. Please help!

Marquis Mark

Hi,

Just got back results for my 3-month labs. Attached is my spreadsheet. Despite pretty much following the Vitalady regimen (see below), some of my numbers have made dramatic moves, and I'm not sure what some of them mean. It's all a bit scary, I confess. As you will see, I had a lot of labs drawn 7 weeks pre-surgery, 2 days before and 7 weeks post so there is good reference, I hope.

I was taking the full vitamin regimen by about 3 weeks post.

I'm going to switch the Polyssacharide for Carbonyl and add some Proferrin. I'm also switching some of the Calcium Citrate for Jarrow and adding 150 of K2 with the K1. Also adding Mag Citrate with each dose of Calcium. And, finally, increasing D3 from 70,000 to 150,000 - and getting some sun.

I would sincerely appreciate anyone examining the spreadsheet and giving me your opinion.

Here was my regimen when I took the 3-month labs:

Morning:
1 Vitamin C 1,000mg
2 Polysaccharide iron = 300mg
1 Copper 2mg

Mid-day:
1 Vitamin A 25,000IU
1 Vitamin B-12 5,000mcg (every other day)
2 Calcium Cit 300mg = 600mg
1 B Complex 50+ (every fourth day)
1 Multi Vitamin/Mineral
1 Zinc 50mg

Evening:
1 Vitamin A 25,000IU
1 Vitamin E 400IU
1 Multi Vitamin/Mineral
Vitamin D3 60,000IU
1 Zinc 50mg
1 Vitamin B-9 Folic Acid 800mcg

Bed-time:
1 Vitamin A 25,000IU
2 Magnesium Citrate 140mg=280mg (elem)
1 Vitamin K-1 1,000mcg
1 Vitamin D3 10,000IU

Attachments

• DS Labs Spreadsheet.xlsx
    78.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
High B12 is fine. (mine is over 2000 and has been for many decades)
LOW B6 is fine (middle to bottom of range)
D needs help, lots of help. That will also help your PTH. Your calcium is fine because your body is using the Parathyroid gland to rob your bones of calcium to keep your calcium level up. Fixing D & PTH fixes that.
You need extra A...add it about 3-4 days on top of what you are already taking until you get retested.
Vitamin E is trending down...watch it.
Your ferritin is trending down and common DS wisdom is iron infusions if you are below a 50.
Your Iron Sat % would have me getting infusions...but I have secondary RLS and low iron sat % is an indicator. Another indicator is your hemoglobin and hemacrit...both are trending down.
Why wasn't K tested? Inferring it from PT/INR is false security...my dh had toxic K1 and his PT/INR was fine. But since we started getting his K1 tested, he's dropped it down to one pill a week to remain high normal.
You need to walk or some other type of exercise...it will bring your HDL up.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. Yes, they did test my B3 and K. I'm just waiting for those. Any other tests I should ask for?

I walk four miles/day and just started basic muscle workouts so I think I'm OK in that dept.

You're right about the A. Will add another 25,000 3-4X/week, as suggested.

Think I'm going to try the Carbonyl/Proferrin first. Many people had better luck with Carbonyl (may also help my constipation tendencies). I noticed my iron levels didn't drop from the 7 week tests, so that makes me think if I just increase/switch the kind of iron I may get the needle moving in the right direction. Also, I was taking Miralax and fiber powder within an hour of my iron for a while until it dawned on me that that might not be such a good idea. I just stopped doing that. If nothing changes at the next draw in 3 months, I will ask for infusions. At the moment I'm not showing symptoms of anemia.

Very surprised my E is trending down despite taking dry E. I though DSers didn't usually have an issue with that.

A zebra, it is. How much, if anything, are these fluctuating levels due to the fact that I'm only 3 months out?

Latest posts

Back