7+ years out - I need lab/supplement help for PTH and B6

BigIsland Tammy

oh man...I could sure use some help dealing with a couple of lab results!

known other issue: Ferritin low, I don't absorb iron supplements. Received 5x Venofir 10-11/2015. Currently Ferritin at 15 ref range 11-200.

Problem 1: My PTH keeps rising and it is now 103 (ref 12-88). Do I just keep adding more Calcium Citrate? Should I take smaller doses of D3 with the calcium rather than the 1x/day 50K? [My Vit D 25-HYDROX is 69 ref 30-100] If I take more CalCit is it safe to also take a daily stool softener to help with the constipation effect of so many calcium citrate supplements, or is there a safer solution than that?

Previously at:
cal carbonate 2500 mg (yes, I know this is not effectively absorbed, just listing as info)
cal citrate: 2000 mg

I just upped to (all supplements combined):
Calcium Carbonate 2400 mg
Calcium Citrate 3400 mg
plus chews / melts whenever I can fit one in

I sure miss VitaLady's calcium--my labs have been wacky since they stopped selling their calcium

Problem 2: my B6 is going high again: 137, ref range 20-125. I'm one of those who can't take the Kirkland Calcium Cit as I go toxic really quickly. I have only min. RDA of B6 in my multivitamin, no other supplements list it. Any ideas on how to move it through me, bind it to something else, anecdotal info about B6? Is there another thing that is keeping my B6 around for company? geez I'm so careful about this that I'm not sure where to look for improvement.

Thank you for any pointers!!

Last edited:
Ok, PTH, To fix high PTH, throw more Dry D3 50,000 at it IF below 80. IF your D is above 80, then you may have a different issue.

http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/parathyroid-check-your-d-calcium-and-pth-first.1065/
http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitamin-d-webinar-by-dr-keshishian.5845/

B6, how much are you taking in other vitamins? Go thru and count up every vitamin you take and see if B6 is in it. f so, add them all up to see your daily total.

It is possible, you may need to take extra minerals and drop your multi. Btw, how many multi's and what brand a day?

Check into getting UpCal as a possible replacement for your citrate. And drop any calcium carbonate not in other forms like your multi.

What brand of multi are you using, how many/day? What's B6 per tablet?

Why are you taking calcium carbonate, which are great at creating kidney stones?
What brand of calcium citrate are you using? Pic of front/back labels?
What brand of D?

High PTH- High PTH is addressed with more D, not calcium (of course if your calcium citrate intake is under 2000mg, increase);

in your shoes, I'd increase to 3/day Biotech D3-50 (150k iu) broken into 3 doses; add 1000mg KAL magnesium glycinate (broken into 3 doses); add K2 MK7;

are you taking K1? If so, brand, how much?
Have you had a DEXA bone density scan?

Look into Injectafer or Dextran infusions. Injectofer brought my ferritin from 18 to 500 in two 30-min sessions.

Looking forward to answers to above Q's. :D

Thank you both SO much. I'll work through the questions and I'm attaching summary of all my supplements combined: BITammy VitCONTENT 2018Feb04. This includes minor changes made upon receiving labs: removed Bone-Up (was 3/day) add 3 Cal Cit (for total of 6x500mg/day).
Links provided in-line have a picture of labels front & back.

The only B6 is in my multi (Equate Women's Once Daily). It is the lowest B6 (my requirement) and (bonus) lowest cost multi I have found. I take 1/day. Not sure I need it but seems an easy way to get a smattering of many things. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-women-s-with-calcium-iron-zinc-dietary-supplement-200-ct/10324688

Vit D3: currently 69 (ref range 30-100). Previous when I was on 2x/week it was 88-96 (ref range 20-79 note different reference range from current results). 50K 1/day + 10K sublingual 1/wk keeps me steady in high middle range. I can change strength (to 20K?) at each calcium dose if taking at the same time is the important factor (as opposed to having it in your system already)? Depending upon price at the time I order (preferred for form factor) or BioTech the sublingual is
MagnesiumGlycinate: FYI I have just run out of Cal-Mag-D3 and Chelated Mag, will keep Citrical in the mix until those are received. Could not find MagG locally, will arrive to me in a few weeks, meantime chelated mag will be here next week.

Calcium Citrate: I found what looks like a last creepy old box of UpCal D at the drugstore this morning, fondly remember these square pixie sticks, will add this in immediately as a mid-afternoon treat :) Removing evil cal citrate chews.
I buy only 2x/day varieties 1st one in-use and other in pending order:
Had 5x Venofir 3 years ago, brought me up to 148. Was on track for a round in July but moved in May. I have spent the months since then trying to find a Dr. Finally connected w/an APRN who was willing to order all my tests but would not order the ones not already on the printed Rabkin list (i.e. albumin, A1C, etc). I go back to her next Monday but am not hopeful she will refer me for Ferritin issue, continuing my search if not.

Vit Ks - yes, VitaLady K2 (MK-7) at 1x/week, K1 is SuperiorSource sublingual 1x/week https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049G10HI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1171X100

DEXA scan approx 2 years ago was fine.

Thank you so much for your time & interest!!

Attachments

• BITammy VitCONTENT 2018Feb04.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
The problem is too much B6 is dangerous. It can cause permanent neurological damage.
Do you take a B Complex? If so, either stop it and supplement separately or try the Desert Harvest one.
If not, looks like you are going to stop the multi and supplement the trace vitamins and minerals separately. And if you aren't taking the B Complex, ask to have the test for the MTHFR gene mutation. https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/10953/mthfr-gene-mutation

Mo
Thank you both SO much. I'll work through the questions and I'm attaching summary of all my supplements combined: BITammy VitCONTENT 2018Feb04. This includes minor changes made upon receiving labs: removed Bone-Up (was 3/day) add 3 Cal Cit (for total of 6x500mg/day).
Links provided in-line have a picture of labels front & back.

The only B6 is in my multi (Equate Women's Once Daily). It is the lowest B6 (my requirement) and (bonus) lowest cost multi I have found. I take 1/day. Not sure I need it but seems an easy way to get a smattering of many things. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-women-s-with-calcium-iron-zinc-dietary-supplement-200-ct/10324688

Vit D3: currently 69 (ref range 30-100). Previous when I was on 2x/week it was 88-96 (ref range 20-79 note different reference range from current results). 50K 1/day + 10K sublingual 1/wk keeps me steady in high middle range. I can change strength (to 20K?) at each calcium dose if taking at the same time is the important factor (as opposed to having it in your system already)? Depending upon price at the time I order (preferred for form factor) or BioTech the sublingual is
MagnesiumGlycinate: FYI I have just run out of Cal-Mag-D3 and Chelated Mag, will keep Citrical in the mix until those are received. Could not find MagG locally, will arrive to me in a few weeks, meantime chelated mag will be here next week.

Calcium Citrate: I found what looks like a last creepy old box of UpCal D at the drugstore this morning, fondly remember these square pixie sticks, will add this in immediately as a mid-afternoon treat :) Removing evil cal citrate chews.
I buy only 2x/day varieties 1st one in-use and other in pending order:
Had 5x Venofir 3 years ago, brought me up to 148. Was on track for a round in July but moved in May. I have spent the months since then trying to find a Dr. Finally connected w/an APRN who was willing to order all my tests but would not order the ones not already on the printed Rabkin list (i.e. albumin, A1C, etc). I go back to her next Monday but am not hopeful she will refer me for Ferritin issue, continuing my search if not.

Vit Ks - yes, VitaLady K2 (MK-7) at 1x/week, K1 is SuperiorSource sublingual 1x/week https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049G10HI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1171X100

DEXA scan approx 2 years ago was fine.

Thank you so much for your time & interest!!

Most of us take K1 and K2 MK7 daily, not weekly.,

Hi Susan, I will up the K1 and K2 intake.
is K1 reflected in the PT INR values? That is indeed off:
PT: 13.2 RefRange 11.6-14.2
PT INR: 1.02 RefRange 2.0-3.0
PTT: 30 RefRange 25-36 sec
Where would I see the effects of K2 over/under?

You won’t see any lab values for K2, there isn’t a test for that. Where you might see it is your PTH coming down and a good DEXA scan.

Some doctors use those clotting factor numbers in place of K1.

K2 MK7 helps direct oral calcium to bones instead of arteries.

Latest posts

Back