My Ordeal or Why Self Advocacy Could Save Your Life

Deedee
Just wow! I have no words! I am a person with high anxiety and I worry about this type of thing happening as I age and wonder if I made a big mistake. My memory isn't the best and the more I try to read and learn I realize the less I know! I am so glad it all turned out okay for you but wish you would have never had to go through such an ordeal!
Barb

I "vagal" in response to anesthesia, both general and spinal. It's a weird feeling for sure. I've never had it happen like you describe.
Good for you speaking up for yourself!

Wow, DeeDee! What a terrible ordeal! You are strong, so smart, and so generous to share this experience with us! I am so sorry you had to go through such physical pain and mental frustration to find your way out, but glad it's over now. My heart goes out to you.

I really needed to read every word of this. I'm worried I'm not going to be able to advocate for myself. When I say WLS, everyone assumes RNY. Even at my doc's office. I'm getting wrong info from the NUT... it's making me nervous. Thanks for sharing your story!!!

I really needed to read every word of this. I'm worried I'm not going to be able to advocate for myself. When I say WLS, everyone assumes RNY. Even at my doc's office. I'm getting wrong info from the NUT... it's making me nervous. Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Years ago I learned that one of the most powerful tools we have when defending ourselves or truth, is to repeat in simple honest terms, our position. Just keep saying what you know to be true. In a calm non sarcastic way, keep asking, "so if THAT is true then why does THIS keep happening? Say the same thing, ask the same questions, ad nauseam. In most cases eventually someone will listen, or at least stop questioning your methods.

On the other hand I gave up trying to educate my NUT long ago. Many of them do not understand the difference between the nutritional requirements for DS and RnY. Perhaps in time they will. I really wanted to "educate" mine but then I realized that the most important thing was for me to have a successful weight loss experience. Now I just nod and smile and let her pat me on the back for how well I'm doing.

The most important thing Lori is, don't let fear overwhelm you. Continue to come here for answers, listen to the vets, ask questions, do your own DS research, understand your surgery as best as you can, and continue to advocate for yourself. Best Wishs.

Not to take away from Ms. DeeDee's story, but to add to it. Years ago, my physician changed some medicines. That little action made me sicker than I've ever been in my life. Three doctors could not figure it out. Extensive research on the internet lead to one little paragraph about an interaction between two of my medicines. I brought it to the attention of my PCP and he agreed that I should quit taking the one that was likely causing the problems. I'm grateful that he listened, but also proud that I never gave up and stood my ground that something was very wrong. This had nothing to do with my DS and everything to do with knowing myself and having the determination to learn about my body and the medicines being put into it.

Last edited:
Thanks k9ophile, takes nothing, only adds to the point. Know your body, DS changed and otherwise, and educate yourself continually.

Wow, I would have been so frustrated and pissed. Im glad you finally got someone to listen they could have killed you.

I wonder if this is why I cannot tolerate any narcotics now. It's only been like this since I had my gallbladder out. Any narcotics just make me insane, loopy, suicidal. I actually reason to myself that if I just stop breathing, problem solved. Usually I come to this conclusion after a nurse or other MP doesn't listen to me. Then I wake up with them doing mean things to me: slapping, pinching, sticking knuckles in my sternum. The bastards. They will only list it as "allergy to narcotics".

I do not believe this is the same thing Sheanie. However there could be a trigger fom the surgery or narcotics. What you are describing could be chemically induced depression. Please consult a Doctor. Best wishes.

Yup, that's what I thought. I am extremely sensitive to all medications, but especially to pain killers.

Your story is striking and remarkable, Dee.

Latest posts

Back