My Big Fat HAPPY Wedding

DianaCox

Bad Cop
Many of us married when we were fat - and probably have some deep-seated resentment that we were not thin and beautiful/handsome as brides/grooms. I just saw someone write something kind of self-deprecating in posting an old wedding pic in honor of her anniversary, which actually was quite beautiful (although she caught herself and praised it in the next post).

Made me think we should post a wedding pic of ourselves - younger, fatter, and HAPPY - and remind ourselves that our fatness did not prevent our happiness in the past, just as our thinness does not guarantee it now. Remember what you looked like, what you felt like - and how fat and happy you were.

We got Maui'ed in August 1998, six months after we met:
wedding20pix.jpg

I wore long sleeves in Hawaii at the end of August - the only thing I might have done differently. But I loved that dress, thought it was beautiful, and liked that my batwings didn't flap because they were swathed in lace - and with the possible exception of the frizzy mullet, I FELT beautiful that day. And HAPPY!

Well, mostly happy - in retrospect, maybe we should not have taken our combined four teenagers (who were taking turns not getting along with each other and with us) with us on our wedding/honeymoon trip. Live and learn.

This was actually just in March. I'm fortunate in that I haven't hated myself or my body for about 15 years. I would have easily and without shame worn a sleeveless dress at my wedding, but my hubby loves my shoulders and I thought this style quasi-sleeve would accent my shoulders more. I still fully believe I'm beautiful at this size, and it will actually be hard for me to deal with watching my body change as I lose weight. But my health and my ability to do more things and live my life more freely are what is motivating me to make a change now. Anyhow - my wedding just a few months ago at ~560 pounds (forgive my inability to pick just one photo):

10341847_970951004300_4355527322137682841_n.jpg

10538054_970950989330_8912682895022230647_n.jpg

10556528_970950999310_6879887032631483638_n.jpg

10399982_970951049210_8634744808897616341_n.jpg

10501968_970951064180_3836887215164720759_n.jpg

What a great idea! I was self conscious about my wedding dress fitting properly (had gotten the largest size and needed to have it let out) but I FELT beautiful on my wedding day. It was only when the professional photos came a few weeks later that I felt horrible. There wasn't one single portrait where I thought I LOOKED beautiful. Now that we're living down here, I've been looking into having a session to take new photos, but maybe I just need to celebrate the fact that it was the happiest day in my life and not focus on what the photos make me feel.

Our version of "Brooklyn does the south" :)
cc95ab7011df5db9d5447c059981aab3_zps62cd7706.jpg

4c7e320dd2f2f2ccae18b4ece1f44bba_zps0dd8ce01.jpg

My bedazzled sippy cup so I didn't spill on my dress ;)
e4444730e074c259d8138bf9777c6632_zpse9b81823.jpg

It was freekin hot!
b8f0ab440963882071426fcb4e24be1c_zps5164decf.jpg

Aw, you looked lovely! :) I want a second wedding, myself, but that's only because most of our friends/relatives are in the US and couldn't come to Aus for our wedding. :) One day... :)

OH, so young (age 21) but OH so happy! :)
This is my family (Daddy, Mama, & brother) with me & my husband.
For a long time, my mom & I jokingly called this picture "the short fat family and Sam" (my husband). Now he weighs 70 pounds more than me.
I dream of a do-over only because when we went to the bridal shop to pick out my dress they said, "Here's the 5 dresses we can get in your size. You can't try one on because the samples won't fit you." So I chose my dress out of a catalogue. I did love it, but I'd sure like to have the "Say yes to the dress" experience.
I guess this one worked out okay, though, since we're celebrating our 22nd anniversary next month!

wedding.jpg

I love it that you did this! I never had or will have a wedding because I can't even imagine the ugly of me in a white dress. Come to think of it, I've never owned one. Women of all shapes and sizes are beautiful. Except me!

yes, Munchkin - LOOK at how beautiful everyone looks in their photos - maybe even especially @brooklyngirl, (I mean look at the flirt in that last one!!) and yet she looked at her photos and didn't like what she saw.

you are probably wrong, too.

That's me! The Michelin Man walking around on toothpicks! Or maybe the Jet Puffed Marshmallow Guy. My fantasy dream wedding was jeans and a polo shirt followed by a lovely wedding night in a parking lot... But it didn't break the budget!

No fair posting pics of my legs. They only look good because you can't see the rest of me!

Many of us married when we were fat - and probably have some deep-seated resentment that we were not thin and beautiful/handsome as brides/grooms. I just saw someone write something kind of self-deprecating in posting an old wedding pic in honor of her anniversary, which actually was quite beautiful (although she caught herself and praised it in the next post).

Made me think we should post a wedding pic of ourselves - younger, fatter, and HAPPY - and remind ourselves that our fatness did not prevent our happiness in the past, just as our thinness does not guarantee it now. Remember what you looked like, what you felt like - and how fat and happy you were.

We got Maui'ed in August 1998, six months after we met:
wedding20pix.jpg

I wore long sleeves in Hawaii at the end of August - the only thing I might have done differently. But I loved that dress, thought it was beautiful, and liked that my batwings didn't flap because they were swathed in lace - and with the possible exception of the frizzy mullet, I FELT beautiful that day. And HAPPY!

Well, mostly happy - in retrospect, maybe we should not have taken our combined four teenagers (who were taking turns not getting along with each other and with us) with us on our wedding/honeymoon trip. Live and learn.

(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

We eloped...no photos...and I was fresh outta basic training and built more or less like a brick shithouse. I feel so left out.

The pictures are so nice. To me no one looked bad. Plus everyone had big old smiles in their face. If I didn't hate my ex husband so much id post mines. Lol

Latest posts

Back