My 1 Year Surgiversary and Update:

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
Yesterday was my 1 yr anniversary for becoming one of “You People”…lol As fate and irony would also have it, I had a Dr.’s appointment as well with my Surgeon, and was waiting for all this to conclude to give a more “informed” update.

This post will be long, so, WTF…you can always just pass it by. I feel that what’s happened in my own case is somewhat unique and extreme, as is ALL our WL journeys and distinctly different, so, I have an absolute obligation to share my experiences with my fellow “Lab Rats” and especially those about to become such. We have to learn from each other because you can’t depend on the “Medical community” for even minimal sound advice or direction.

I currently weigh in at 187 lbs, 168 lbs lost in one year. Hell, I just posted in @chevtow post just this last Saturday and am 2 lbs less since then!!…lol. Anyway, after the 2nd month or so, my rate of WL has been right around 1.88 lbs or so, (2lbs), per week and shows no sign of declining. Factoring in for the extra bone density (that a former Morbidly Obese Individual has) and extra the skin, my RAW, (Real adjusted Weight), is realistically 8-10 lbs less, 178-180 lbs.

After going over all this with Dr. Wilson yesterday (whom really is a GREAT surgeon and Dr.), he said the following stuff. THIS is where I really NEED the VETS to chime in and give your opinions, please.

First of all, he said I am worrying way to prematurely. “Your (my) blood levels are almost all good and the biggest thing is that you feel OK” he said that “if something was not going well, I’d be feeling bad, weak tired, washed out, etc”. He further said that “It ALWAYS works like this and that I will actually go under my goal weight before I stabilize”. When I asked him how or why that is, and he said, “They don’t know exactly how or why it works that way”, (again that turn on/off mechanism discussed in the other thread), but he said “it just does and for some reason, in some cases, your body just has to get to that almost malnourished point in order to re-set and re-adjust your metabolism and slow it down”. THAT KIND OF made some sense to me, right??? I also asked him about starting on one of the digestive enzymes and he said, yes, but “lets wait a little while longer to see if it turns around ON ITS OWN, when I get to that point”. He brought up what I think is another really good point and said that “he is afraid of starting me on Creon just yet because he’s afraid my body will get used to that and then will NEVER make that needed adjustment on its own”, so he said “let’s wait 6 more weeks and re-evaluate”, (which to me = 12 more lbs and will put me at 175). So..then, I asked…WHAT IS YOUR (my) NUMBER that you are going to start getting concerned? He said around 170?

So, that pretty much sums it up. He did bring up some good points to ponder and said some very scientifically grounded things that sounded realistic and plausible, and as said, this is a really good GI Dr., so, I guess I/we wait and see…wish me luck!!

And..oh yeah, BTW…just as an FYI to any of our newbies….getting this surgery is without a doubt the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I was probably the worst metabolic example for a man I’ve seen on here or any of the other WL bds. I could NOT go over 800 calories, ever per day without gaining weight and lived that horrible pathetic existence for over 35 yrs. The DS not only did its malabsorptive magic as advertised, BUT it also absolutely did a totally unexpected and unexplainable 180 degree shift on my metabolism. I think also, another component is that maybe I just may have noticed more of the actual gained benefit because my condition was SO bad and extreme. It’s kind of like replacing the brakes on a car. You will notice it more on the car that has the worst worn out brakes on it. Make sense?? I Just DO NOT want to scare anyone off or give the mis-perception that the DS failed me. It HAS NOT, quite the exact opposite! There is NOTHING I would have done differently if I had to do it over again…just want to clarify.

Last edited:
@robs477 congrats on your one year and your amazing progress. The explanations from your doctor do make sense, and I like that he admitted that even doctors don't know everything about how and why bariatric surgery works the way it does. And if @DSRIGGS experience is anything to go by, you will feel crappy if things go south, at least he sure did.
Wishing you many years of continued success and good health!

Happy surgiversary, Rob...and just watch your labs...that is where you will see it sooner than anywhere.

Being skinny is a total mindfuck! I'm glad tho that I let mine ride down where it wanted in my second year...hit 121 for 10 seconds.

@robs477 as @Larra said you will start to feel crappy. I think your Dr pretty much said to you what I have been trying to say. As long as your lab values are good and you feel well you are okay. 170 was my bottom with Creon and even after revision surgery and no Creon I never dropped below that number. I am 6'2 and I am thinking you are 6'1 so I think you Doc's 170 number seems to make sense. The next month or two will be telling for you as I was pretty much a year to the day when I had my hernia/blockage repair and then started passing out a few weeks later and discovered the severe malnutrition (note Marshall's people didn't pick up on my horrible lab values when I was in hospital for the emergency hernia repair). That is when Creon started for me and your Dr said, I felt like dog Doo. I still don't feel great but I feel much better some days than others and I am not on Creon.

Hang in for the next month or two and you should know a lot. Your weight loss if like me, will really start tapering off soon.

I'm going to split the difference - I would want to start taking Creon at one meal a day - maybe breakfast - just to slightly tap the brakes.

But what do I know - you weigh less than me and I'm 5'5" and never got anywhere near "too much" weight loss.

BTW is this RAW thing your engineering mind created or is this decribed somewhere else? I do wonder how much excess skin weighs. I bet it is probably a good ten pounds...... U would love the extra skin around my waste line and my pubic region to go away. My pube area looks really fat and it annoys me.... Oh well

Oh, did you tell your Dr that you want labs monthly until you stop your descent? If worried about losing too much is a concern like it obviously is for you I think that should happen so you can detect immediately...

@robs477 congrats on your one year and your amazing progress. The explanations from your doctor do make sense, and I like that he admitted that even doctors don't know everything about how and why bariatric surgery works the way it does. And if @DSRIGGS experience is anything to go by, you will feel crappy if things go south, at least he sure did.
Wishing you many years of continued success and good health!

Thank you Larra :thumbsup:

Happy surgiversary, Rob...and just watch your labs...that is where you will see it sooner than anywhere.

Being skinny is a total mindfuck! I'm glad tho that I let mine ride down where it wanted in my second year...hit 121 for 10 seconds.

Thxs Liz...Great way to put it! Me skinny...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...still cant wrap my "Pea brain" around it!

@robs477 as @Larra said you will start to feel crappy. I think your Dr pretty much said to you what I have been trying to say. As long as your lab values are good and you feel well you are okay. 170 was my bottom with Creon and even after revision surgery and no Creon I never dropped below that number. I am 6'2 and I am thinking you are 6'1 so I think you Doc's 170 number seems to make sense. The next month or two will be telling for you as I was pretty much a year to the day when I had my hernia/blockage repair and then started passing out a few weeks later and discovered the severe malnutrition (note Marshall's people didn't pick up on my horrible lab values when I was in hospital for the emergency hernia repair). That is when Creon started for me and your Dr said, I felt like dog Doo. I still don't feel great but I feel much better some days than others and I am not on Creon.

Hang in for the next month or two and you should know a lot. Your weight loss if like me, will really start tapering off soon.

I’ve always agreed with what you’ve been saying Scott, about the feeling normal part etc. It’s the “Don’t worry” thing that I’m having a problem with because of the FLAT curve with NO declination. That’s pretty much it. In my world, Engineering, that is how we predict the future and look for failures, predict trends, assess reliability etc. Humans IMHO are no different. We are Bio-Electro Mechanical machines no matter how you slice it.

BTW, I’m 5’11”…

I'm going to split the difference - I would want to start taking Creon at one meal a day - maybe breakfast - just to slightly tap the brakes.

But what do I know - you weigh less than me and I'm 5'5" and never got anywhere near "too much" weight loss.

That is EXACTLY what my line of thinking is/was as well, but, I'm also very intrigued by what he said regarding that if I start on the Creon too early, my body may never learn to make the adjustment that it needs too naturally and for the long term. So, I can wait 6 more, weeks. NP, guess I'll just turn in to a walking stick...lol. Hmmm....I really have turned in to a real life “Science experiment” :D.

My pube area looks really fat and it annoys me.... Oh well

Ok....probably shouldn't say this....but, hey WTF, we talk about EVERYTHING here, each others poop to pubes and...well, you know, everything in between...so....IF your going to start talking about pubes.......(remember you brought it up)..as a "Man" did any of that extra skin also go to your "Lovestick"?....:laugh:....It damn sure did for "Grisweld"...he's all grown up now and all that extra skin went to him....:D...hey man, lemon, lemonade kinda thing!

OK, back on track...

YES…The RAW, (Real Adjusted Weight) acronym or analogy, or whatever you want to call it, as best as I can tell, is my original. IMHO, IT REALLY IS A FACTOR and really needs to be calculated in to ones BMI, especially when on the edge of a potentially dangerous precipice such as malabsorption and excessive WL.

Morbidly Obese people, especially those of us that were that way our whole life have approx. 20-30% greater bone density, primarily in the weight supporting bones. This is a fact you can google it. For someone who’s lost 168 lbs, the excess skin also factors in and weighs at least 5-7 (probably more) lbs. So when I say 8-10 lbs off my weighed in number, I think that is being VERY conservative and it is probably more like 10-12 lbs. For measuring something this critical, I really think this RAW thingy should become a calculated standard someday.

Dr. Wilson also agreed with my RAW assessment. He said, “OK, fair enough, I actually never thought about that before”…lol He did say though that with time, some of that 20-30% extra bone density will diminish some. Cool stuff huh?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back