Life at the Home for the Perpetually Bewildered

Hubby’s cousin has one that announces everything. I hate it. Told hubby when we get our house alarmed, he better not do that.
It worked great, and silently till we shut the power off. Hubby likes everything automated and trackable and controllable, but this system is vexing

We used to have a door/window alert system, which was great when the kids were little - so we would know immediately if someone wandered outside. However, after some malfunction caused "Sector 8 Fault" to be announced loudly every 30 second throghout the night for hours before a repair technician was available, we disabled that feature....

Hubby fancies himself a tech guru and thought this would be an easy fix but he has no clue, and the builder that put it together just retired, so we're ready for the experts to be called in.

Hubby fancies himself a tech guru and thought this would be an easy fix but he has no clue, and the builder that put it together just retired, so we're ready for the experts to be called in.
When something goes wrong here, I remind Charles TRTFM. Or check YouTube for solutions. Last resort was calling the manufacturer for the solution.

Today’s traumas:

They ran out of rice and instead of substituting something I could eat…potatoes, sliced tomatoes, carrots, a salad…they served me pasta. Which I mostly cannot eat.

And then dinner consisted of shredded lettuce. That’s all. Just lettuce.

Rosa, the boss in there, was SO pissed. She gave them a list. They lost or ignored it.

As luck would have it, the small, chain Mexican Food place down the street was advertising their $7 (taxes included) Wednesday Burrito Special, so we were ”armed.” (He got the burrito. I had food here.)

Mine was on a disposable plate, but kinda like:

ETA:

This is probably not a DS issue. It’s just an IBS issue.

what is she going to do about it?

dinner was pasta and lettuce? :mad:
I assume Rosa let one of her staff know they screwed up. She left here really upset that they didn’t follow instructions AND someone is so dumb, they think a plate of lettuce constitutes a meal. She has put a lot of effort into learning about what they can serve me. She told them what to do and they didn’t do it. And I think there is some pressure on Rosa to figure out how to feed me so they don’t have to discount my rent by several hundred bucks because I have to buy meals elsewhere.

But no pasta and lettuce dinner for me! My dinner, very bland compared to MrSue’s carne asada burrito, was one of the low FODMAP meals I ordered online.

Last edited:
Puns? About a plate of lettuce? I’m not sure that’s okay.
Well, my favorite joke from years ago was a Dad tomato and a Mother tomato took their son with with them for a walk. But soon the son was poking about looking at rocks and bugs and stuff. The dad got tired of the boy's lollygagging and told him to ketch up, son.

ETA: I added the detail that they were taking a walk. If one is to tell a joke, even a silly one, details are important.

Last edited:
I think there is some pressure on Rosa to figure out how to feed me so they don’t have to discount my rent by several hundred bucks because I have to buy meals elsewhere.
I figured! I'm glad you had your low FODMAP option, that's the important thing. I think that was a really good decision on your part.

I would guess they'll get better at things in the kitchen but Rosa might have to put in some overtime.

how is the REST of living there going? I assume you haven't been "alarmed" in the middle of the night by staff again.

are the grounds nice? do you have a private patio or balcony, somewhere shady to hang out with some nice landscaping?

landscaping is much easier for a facility to get right than food!

have you met any nice neighbors, bewildered or not?

I usually label puns as not okay. Sometimes I get surprised into laughing.

Also, I don't get the honeymoon pun.

Read them aloud: “Let us alone,” (so we newlyweds can make mad passionate love on our honeymoon) vs “Lettuce alone,” (as in, nothing else on the plate)?

Latest posts

Back