Life at the Home for the Perpetually Bewildered

Spiky Bugger

FIRST new experience of the day:

Around 2:00 am, I got out of bed to take some meds and re-crashed on the couch.

At 3:52 am, some man…inside my apartment…said, “Are you okay, Sweetie?”
Me: Huh?
Him: Did you ring a wall alarm or your pendant?
Me: No. And I don’t HAVE a pendant. But my husband is in bed…

So we awakened MrSue, too. He also has no pendant and was not near the bathroom alarm.

Richard, the 3:52 am intruder, left baffled.

I will now order that door alarm.

Poor guy…he is a caregiver here, on graveyard shift, who was responding to SOME alarm. And he’s a big guy and probably scares some folks. I just thought they needed a better alarm system!

Besides, he was between me and my “kitchenette.” And I’m not sure if the cast iron skillet is here or at our house….

Poor guy…he is a caregiver here, on graveyard shift, who was responding to SOME alarm. And he’s a big guy and probably scares some folks. I just thought they needed a better alarm system!

Besides, he was between me and my “kitchenette.” And I’m not sure if the cast iron skillet is here or at our house….
At least now you know who he is.

oh, boy! well, I'm sure this is just the first of many stories that you will tell us with clarity and humor.

now if the entire staff there could just realize you have all your marbles.

and calling someone "Sweetie" is technically not OK...sigh.

FIRST new experience of the day:

Around 2:00 am, I got out of bed to take some meds and re-crashed on the couch.

At 3:52 am, some man…inside my apartment…said, “Are you okay, Sweetie?”
Me: Huh?
Him: Did you ring a wall alarm or your pendant?
Me: No. And I don’t HAVE a pendant. But my husband is in bed…

So we awakened MrSue, too. He also has no pendant and was not near the bathroom alarm.

Richard, the 3:52 am intruder, left baffled.

I will now order that door alarm.
I had to laugh when you mentioned a new door alarm. We moved into this house several years ago with a security system that worked great, until we turned off the power for some work, and when we turned it back on some things had reset and it's apparently above our pay grade to fix it. We now have a voice that LOUDLY announces through speakers throughout the house every time any door or window is opened, and which one. There are also multiple out buildings on the property that are part of the system, so as my husband is on zoom most of the day, they have a running commentary on where I am "BEDROOM SLIDER", SHOP REAR" etc. We forgot to warn recent overnight guests and everyone awakens to "GUEST BATH WINDOW" at 3am with an embarrassed person that was hoping for a stealth poop.

Even with the unexpected night visitor, I really like the idea of having someone so close to help at literally the push of a button. But when you mention door alarms, be careful what you wish for.

I had to laugh when you mentioned a new door alarm. We moved into this house several years ago with a security system that worked great, until we turned off the power for some work, and when we turned it back on some things had reset and it's apparently above our pay grade to fix it. We now have a voice that LOUDLY announces through speakers throughout the house every time any door or window is opened, and which one. There are also multiple out buildings on the property that are part of the system, so as my husband is on zoom most of the day, they have a running commentary on where I am "BEDROOM SLIDER", SHOP REAR" etc. We forgot to warn recent overnight guests and everyone awakens to "GUEST BATH WINDOW" at 3am with an embarrassed person that was hoping for a stealth poop.

Even with the unexpected night visitor, I really like the idea of having someone so close to help at literally the push of a button. But when you mention door alarms, be careful what you wish for.
Hubby’s cousin has one that announces everything. I hate it. Told hubby when we get our house alarmed, he better not do that.

We used to have a door/window alert system, which was great when the kids were little - so we would know immediately if someone wandered outside. However, after some malfunction caused "Sector 8 Fault" to be announced loudly every 30 second throghout the night for hours before a repair technician was available, we disabled that feature....

So what's the news from where you're hanging your hat? Are you getting settled? Have you met any interesting neighbors?

Latest posts

Back