Is it okay to take Imodium 4 days post-op?

writegirl

Work in Progress
I'm sure this is answered somewhere on this vast knowledge base, but I must be using the wrong search terms because I am not seeing this question addressed exactly. So, here's the thing: Boyce prescribed me what he referred to as an "oral suppository" yesterday before I left the hospital. He said it was meant to get me passing gas rectally. It worked--OMG did it ever work--but it also caused me to have multiple bowel movements (read: Shitting water).

I was thrilled that my bowels woke up on day #3 post-op, but now I am shitting water rather regularly. I am on liquids and understand that is part of the deal. My question--should I try to slow down the shitting of the waters? Should I take Imodium or Milk of Magnesia (is that for diarrhea?). Or, should I just live with having to literally run to the toilet when the waters want out?

This early out, you should call the doctor and ask him. Hard to live with the symptoms, but he may have a reason. Or, he may not know this is the result of using the med. Either way, he's the only one you should be listening to this close to surgery. Hope it gets better!

This early out, you should call the doctor and ask him. Hard to live with the symptoms, but he may have a reason. Or, he may not know this is the result of using the med. Either way, he's the only one you should be listening to this close to surgery. Hope it gets better!

Yeah, I think I have helped it along a bit. I was drinking only clears because I didn't want anything else, but I added proteins and some jello to my diet today and it seems to have helped somewhat. If it's bad tomorrow, I will call and let them know. I figured one of the vets here may have experienced the same thing but, if not, I'll figure it out. Thanks.

Okay, that helps to know--thank you @southernlady. I know we've already discussed graduating ourselves earlier than Boyce would like and I've been planning to do that. Funny thing though, when Boyce came to see me yesterday morning, He said he wants me drinking fluids at a rate of 4 oz per hour and then work up to 4 oz twice per hour. He also mentioned that if I'm doing well on that by my 2 week appointment, we'll discuss getting onto the phase 2 eating plan. It's like he's learning to adapt to individual patients or something. Someone must be encouraging him along those lines is the only thing I can think. First it was acknowledging how much more protein DSers require and now a nod toward getting onto purees in two weeks post-op. Who knows, by the time I self-graduate to soft and purees he might be in agreement.

I was never on any kind of a food progression so I was eating steak 10 days postop. I let myself poop like crazy for a couple weeks then I started taking imodium. After a few days I was at what was to become my new normal and just stayed there. I don't even have imodium in the house right now. I keep trying to remember to get some. It's like a security blanket. I like knowing it's there!

I was never on any kind of a food progression so I was eating steak 10 days postop. I let myself poop like crazy for a couple weeks then I started taking imodium. After a few days I was at what was to become my new normal and just stayed there. I don't even have imodium in the house right now. I keep trying to remember to get some. It's like a security blanket. I like knowing it's there!

I can't get over the fact you could eat steak at 10 days post-op. I would just about KILL to be able to eat pureed food right now--I am so sick to death of broth and tomato soup. I had low blood sugars in the hospital (like 64) and I know that I woke with a really low blood sugar today and struggled all to add something with substance to my all liquid purgatory. It didn't help much and I feel really weak tonight. Tomorrow morning I am 6 days post op and I would sell a kidney for some cottage cheese or anything pureed. I am not sure if I should risk taking the leap this early, but I can't imagine another week like this. I am becoming a cranky emotional somewhat hysterical shadow of the person I actually am and I don't like it.

I'm not advocating for YOU to skip ahead, but I do confess to not paying much attention to the progressive eating plan I was given by Dr. Esquerra's nurse. The night my husband picked me up at the airport after I traveled all day, I was so weak and hungry as I had barely had anything all day for fear of potty problems on the plane. I didn't know what to try, he had no clue and it was late so many places were closed in our neck of the woods. In desperation I had him go through Taco Bell drive-through and I ordered pintos and cheese! I had a few bites of it and felt so much better and I lived to see the morrow. I experimented a lot, whatever tasted good and or went down well is what I ate. I did eat a lot of soup, pudding, and yogurt. Something would sound good and taste ok for a few bites (my meal) then next time the thought of it was horrible! For some reason the little ritz crackers had a texture that went down well so I'd have a few bites of that along with my soup or whatever. Getting something like that in my stomach helped a lot, (for me anyway). It was a crazy time and I don't miss it at all!

I went with the @Susan in Tennessee school of thought as well. I tried things and see what worked. My surgeon didn't have strict post-op plans like some I've seen here. Basically, if it was 'forkable' soft food, I gave it a go. My go-to things in the first few weeks were canned tuna and yoghurt.

I'm not advocating for YOU to skip ahead, but I do confess to not paying much attention to the progressive eating plan I was given by Dr. Esquerra's nurse. The night my husband picked me up at the airport after I traveled all day, I was so weak and hungry as I had barely had anything all day for fear of potty problems on the plane. I didn't know what to try, he had no clue and it was late so many places were closed in our neck of the woods. In desperation I had him go through Taco Bell drive-through and I ordered pintos and cheese! I had a few bites of it and felt so much better and I lived to see the morrow. I experimented a lot, whatever tasted good and or went down well is what I ate. I did eat a lot of soup, pudding, and yogurt. Something would sound good and taste ok for a few bites (my meal) then next time the thought of it was horrible! For some reason the little ritz crackers had a texture that went down well so I'd have a few bites of that along with my soup or whatever. Getting something like that in my stomach helped a lot, (for me anyway). It was a crazy time and I don't miss it at all!

How far post op were you before you ate? I understand the caution my surgeon has during the first few days, but at six days post op if I can take the medications he prescribed (pills, a few are large) then I don't understand why I can't eat tiny amounts of super soft or pureed foods. This all liquid crap is making me feel like shit. My boyfriend told me this morning that my eyes "look dark" like my iron is low. Of course it's low! I am getting zero nutrition at all. They have us drinking crap like G2, or sugar free propel, chicken bouillon, broth, tomato soup, juices cut with water, sugar free low carb protein drinks. My DS is like screaming for something with actual fat in it. Can I ask what kinds of soups you found you could tolerate. I have a can of broccoli cheese but I'm afraid that it may be a bad choice. I have some refried beans in my cabinet and I have half a mind to rip that can open and try some. Even some cottage cheese would be like manna from heaven at this point.

The plans or "phases" of eating that the surgeon's offices now require are clearly designed with VSG and RnY patients in mind. They recommend fat free milk for pity's sake. So, yeah, my DS and my body are starving and it's making me feel and look horrible. I am considering going rogue. I just want to make sure I don't go rogue too early post-op. Is six days enough? That is the question lol.

I went with the @Susan in Tennessee school of thought as well. I tried things and see what worked. My surgeon didn't have strict post-op plans like some I've seen here. Basically, if it was 'forkable' soft food, I gave it a go. My go-to things in the first few weeks were canned tuna and yoghurt.

Were you eating immediately post-op? After a few days? I'm just about ready to go rogue and start trying things. I don't want to get sick or screw up my surgery tho. This liquid diet is making me feel awful but I am afraid of feeling even worse by eating too soon. Or is that all just bullshit? Is there no such thing as eating too soon on the DS once you're discharged? Sorry if this is rambling. I can't even think straight. Broke down in tears last night because I couldn't face tomato soup one more time. Mind you, I was on an 800 calorie diet prior to surgery, full liquids two days before, and now I am on the 6th day of liquids post op. I'm pretty sure my brain is eating itself.

So, yeah, my DS and my body are starving and it's making me feel and look horrible. I am considering going rogue. I just want to make sure I don't go rogue too early post-op. Is six days enough? That is the question lol.

If you are sick, call the office. You look like hell because you've had major surgery and are stressed out. I bet you are not sleeping either.
Here is a link to an older copy of a post-op DS diet transition plan.
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~lesli002/UMMC-Fairview PDF's/Diet Guidebook for DS.pdf

If you are sick, call the office. You look like hell because you've had major surgery and are stressed out. I bet you are not sleeping either.
Here is a link to an older copy of a post-op DS diet transition plan.
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~lesli002/UMMC-Fairview PDF's/Diet Guidebook for DS.pdf

I'm not "sick" and I looked better after 1-2 days post op than I do now. I am sleeping, walking, drinking, well hydrated, meeting or exceeding the protein goals, and doing all the things the surgeon's office told me to do. I am starving (not feeling hunger) because the crap liquid diet is not feeding me other than protein. I don't know what calling the office would do for that other than have them re-affirm that their plan and "phases" are just as good for the DS patients as it is for the RnY and VSG patients. Their phases, btw, call for 4 weeks on this liquid crap post op. Thanks for the link.

If I were you, I would go ahead and add yogurt, maybe cottage cheese, a bite of tuna mixed with full fat mayo. I know that our surgeon does NOT use a valtrac ring so the phases are not necessary but are advised.

Latest posts

Back